Last game you bought?

Maybe their name is in French and it is actually Tea Mico.

5 Likes

I am assuming somehow in my cough-driven insomnia that The Mico came about like most internet usernames as an accident. We have a friend whose RL nickname is along these lines because in the local dialect guys will call each other by their last name and for some reason preface it with an article. f e ā€œLook here is The MĆ¼llerā€ (not the real person in telling about just an example) and this then became our friends internet name as well. afaik The Mico started like so many others on deviant art which would imo explain the weird pseudonym

Iā€™ll check in the morning if this makes any sense :crazy_face:

I like the art fine in my West Kingdom stuff. Not sure yet if his range extends far enough beyond that. or if it begins to feel samey on other titles?

3 Likes

There is definitely a lot of similarity on his characters, they are nearly caricaturized. I believe he (I must admit I was not sure that he was a ā€œheā€ until today) has done also the art for the Valeria series, but mainly he has been involved with the Sem Phillips games of North Sea, West Kingdom and the latest Wayfarers of the South Tigris?

4 Likes

Also (where Iā€™ve mostly seen it) the Osprey Imperium games.

5 Likes

Completing my Iron Rails boxes, with various celebrations coming I might ask for the extra maps as presents.

They tick many boxes for me

1. Short interactive ruleset
  2. They look nice
  3. The box is ā€˜big enoughā€™ but not bigger
  4. about 1 hour playtime
6 Likes

Really like decorum. It plays very differently at 2 compared to 4 though. Flew through most of the 2-player game, and struggled on all the 4 player cases. Of course, that might just be because Iā€™m on the same wavelength as my wife when it comes to decorating houses.

5 Likes

Somebody tipped off my husband that Eclipse was on sale, so now we have a huge box of space minisā€¦

12 Likes

Because @lalunaverde wonā€™t shut up about it I have bought Tindahan from amazon.co.jp

The rules look great. I also realize I can play this with a standard deck and a few cubes from any of a dozen boxes in my basement but for some reason that never seems to work. Tindahan, here we come.

7 Likes

You can play with a standard deck, but it will be limited to 4 players.

You use the 1-10ā€™s and then use one of the face cards from each suit as the ā€œtindahansā€. And then just salvage some cubes elsewhere.

Top tip for anyone who wants to try it first

6 Likes

Six Ashes expansion decks, bringing my collection up to date.

I fear they are bringing out new ones faster than Iā€™m playing them.

Must do something about that.

3 Likes

My Ashes collection are nostalgia item at this point, so I didnt buy anything after the conversion pack

5 Likes

Fair. Iā€™m gradually playing through the precons with @Lordof1, with the aim of starting deckbuilding in parallel.

4 Likes

I need to pick up the newest two, but Iā€™m waiting till I have more stuff I want to order (probably when Bullet :star: comes out, which is meant to be soon).

4 Likes

I punched last night my copy of Tindaya. At least it is a bit smaller than the other crowdfunded games I have been receiving latelyā€¦

I must admit, without having played it, I can see how @yashima 's comments make sense. Thereā€™s a lot of stuff in there, looks like it has expansions included(!).

Not that I regret having them, but I think it will take me a while to chew through all these new games I received the last couple of months. Christmas is sorted this year, I tell you thatā€¦

4 Likes

Bought Decorum, sounded like something different

4 Likes

Found the Dark Alleys expansion for Dungeon Petz on sale, and my completionist streak kicked in. So despite having owned the game for somerhing like six years or so and only playing it once, I now own the expansion.

6 Likes

I punched Hellboy last night, so to speak.

8 Likes

Careful he doesnā€™t punch you back, especially with his right arm.

6 Likes

Went on vacation to London with my wife, and was able to fulfill a longtime dreamā€“buying a game overseas before itā€™s available in the US!

Okay, so I only got it like 2 weeks early, but it still counts! This is Stellarion, the latest game in the Oniverse and the first game from inPatience, Shadi Torbeyā€™s new publishing company. I only own Onirim from the rest of the series, but I think this is a slight step up in terms of component quality? The cards feel thicker and less rubbery, at least, which is nice. The completionist in me always wanted to buy the entire series, and now I might finally be able toā€¦ :smiley:

10 Likes

I looked that up at the time and found it had a decent discount, so I checked out a couple of reviews the next day and decided to pick it up. ā€œOut of stockā€ said Book Depository. ā€œWould you like to be notified when itā€™s back in stock?ā€ I was going to decline this on the basis that it wouldnā€™t be on sale once it was back in stock, but then changed my mind and put in my email address. The next day I was notified that it was back in stock, at the sale price :ā€)

Anyhow it turned up today and Iā€™ve played three games solo (scoring 95, 84, 103), followed by a couple of games of Village Green for comparison. I didnā€™t even notice that the V.R. box says ā€œ2-4 playersā€ until Iā€™d played it twice. That does explain why its manual omits any kind of solo score assessment/target, but honestly itā€™s a bit confusing as you can absolutely play it solo, and I think it wouldā€™ve been pretty easy to make that official.

The puzzle in V.R. is a bit more complex than V.G. (which may or may not be a desirable thing), but the price for this is a fiddlier game, with more components and things to set-up, a large deck of small cards, and the requirement to regularly slide the queues of ā€œmarketā€ cards along the table to make space for new ones (because they increase in cost to buy, so they need to stay in sequence). Itā€™s not excessive, but if you like like the complexity of V.G. exactly the way it is then itā€™s something to bear in mind. You can reset both games quickly to play again, so if youā€™re going to play it a few times in a row itā€™s much of a muchness; but if I wanted to play one of these just once as a single quick game Iā€™d lean towards V.G. for its faster set-up and pack-up time.

The extra complexity comes largely from the fact that the railway lines in V.R. vary in shape and, consequently, length (whereas each scoring rule/constraint in V.G. is for a straight line of 3 cards). Compensating for this, you can place any card in any position (in V.G. adjacent cards must be compatible); but figuring out which scoring rules to try to purchase for each railway line is definitely complicated by not necessarily understanding what the final shape of those incomplete tracks is going to be.

If I was going to keep only one of these, it would probably be Village Green, but Village Rails is another small box (a little taller than V.G.) and differentiates itself enough in gameplay that Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll keep both.

So much cat hair.

5 Likes