Last game you bought?

Ah, I really want to try Quacks of Q and Taverns of T!

Latest game was Azul: Summer Pavilion, which I got earlier this year but of course haven’t been able to play with people yet. It’s SO PRETTY though.

I just bought One Deck Dungeon on mobile, and it’s surprisingly good. Incredibly hard even on Novice difficulty though, especially with only one hero. Think I’ll need to build up the XP before it gets any less frantic.

4 Likes

Well, I just kickstarted Technocracy Reloaded. Does that count? I’m hoping to still be alive to download it in 18 months. . . .

3 Likes

Addendum to my initial entry: Prior to the War of Whispers purchase, I went a little cuckoo and bought quite a lot of stuff in the space of a few months.

I should note that the Avalon Hill copy of Dune was bought many years ago. And the Nevsky was a P500 order that just happened to ship then.

6 Likes

Can I have a summary of Nevsky i.e. what is it like?

2 Likes

I was not aware of this game before I saw you (Boydesian) first mention it on the other forums, but since then I’ve seen a lot of people talking about it, but instead of in English, they were speaking grognard, which I believe is a dialect of Wargamer. So, as a result, I, too, would like to know more about this. Incidentally, it may be the prettiest game (or at least box) I’ve ever seen with a GMT logo on it.

1 Like

A little name drop here: Volko Ruhnke, who designed it has been giving me a little bit of guff on another site because I’ve had it since it was released, but so far all I’ve managed to do is sticker the pieces. You’d think I’d have time to dig into these things, but I am still going to the office Mon-Fri and taking care of my elderly mother so…not so much. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I did promise him that I would start learning it soon though, and when I do, I will post a report for you. :laughing:

3 Likes

I am with you re: the cover, but I gather that it’s been controversial with some of the public. We are in the minority, it would seem.

1 Like

Of course! Ruhnke. Now I remember why I was interested on this game.

2 Likes

Just came here to say “DAAAMMMN original Dune”, but also that Inis has been really hard to get in the UK and I must remember to keep looking for it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Time for excitement! And this time, I get to blame @RogerBW!

Way back in the mists of time, I had been tempted by a Rallyman GT Kickstarter campaign- but the slow trickle of expansions throughout the campaign and the ever growing cost of going “all-in” rubbed me the wrong way and I eventually canceled my pledge. Approximately some time later, RogerBW invited us to this game via play-by-SUSD-forum and I figured, “Hey, why not?”

I was hooked and I was regretful about backing out of the Kickstarter (there are only a few Kickstarter projects that I regret missing and, of those, this is the only one that I was pledged and then backed out).

So I ended up joining the April 2020 US Math Trade specifically when I saw a Rallyman GT bundle get posted as up-for-trade; as many of you know, I have a spare Roads & Boats laying around and I hoped it would end up landing me a nearly-complete “all-in” bundle of Rallyman GT once all the maths had been worked out. Unfortunately, it did not. However, that is not the end of the story: as soon as the math trade ended and the trades were announced, I checked and saw that the Rallyman GT bundle had not been traded; even more amazing to me was that a few hours later, that same person would go on to list the bundle in the market at less than what Roads & Boats is worth. I grabbed it up as fast as I could.

I think it’s almost an all-in pledge, missing only the extra sets of dice. I haven’t opened it yet, but I understand all the extra dice were included separately.

5 Likes

Kickstarter extras should be in the base box: two extra sheets with four tiles including a 3D bridge and various other tokens, and a small rule book.

Apart from that I think you have one of everything. I got an extra GT4/GT5 box to go along with the Team Challenge so that I can have 12-player GT4 and GT5 races, though I doubt I ever will.

1 Like

Yeah, I have the KS exclusives punchboards. The bridge turned out way nicer than I thought it would.

It appears that what I bought was a “Sponsor” pledge on the KS which I gotta say I got a pretty good deal on; especially considering nearly everything included is showing out of stock at all of my regular OGSs.

1 Like

Alright, folks, buckle up. Wait, scratch that. Please ensure your parachutes are packed and ready - we may need to bail out of this one early… Either way, hang on to your seat!

I finally hit free shipping threshold on my preferred OGS after months of stacking discounted deal atop the previous discounted deal. The same day that arrived, I had a shipment directly from Asmodee NA as well as another publisher-direct game show up. And to top it off, a BGG auction win landed. So, let’s get started.

The BGG auction win was Rails through the Rockies, crayon rail game that is literally older than I am and predates Empire Builder (at least according to BGG, 1981 vs 1982). Was this a good purchase? Probably not. Will I play it? Eh, maybe. I am quite fond of Colorado though and it’s a nice novelty put in with my nearly-complete collection of Empire Builder series crayon rail games. Man are these components bad. Like, bad like my Timber Wolf copy of Silverton is bad.

So, let’s talk about Crypt. A few weeks ago, Road to Infamy Games put out a “pay what you want” offer for their game Crypt. I paid a fair price and true enough, got my game. A little solo-able set collection, dice-placement game that I’ve seen discussed favorably in several places. Looking forward to trying it solo for sure. And I do think my partner may like it.

My package from Asmodee NA contained two items:

• Seasons - I posted a while ago (on the SUSD forums) that I had purchased an expansion to Seasons but without actually owning the game. Well, I had won a bid on a copy of Seasons, but the seller never did complete the transaction, so I was left out in the cold when I grabbed up an expansion a bit too prematurely. Never the less, Asmodee was having a sale and I got a shiny new copy for a tad more than I would have paid that other guy (when you consider shipping).

• Summoner Wars Alliances Master Set - This was really the reason for placing the Asmodee order to begin with. I recently picked up a Summoner Wars Master Set + all of the faction addon decks in an auction and was intrigued by the Alliances Master Set. The entire series is ‘dead’ because Plaid Hat will be making a LCG-ish thing currently dubbed Summoner Wars 2.0 (or something). I probably won’t partake in that - but if I like the Summoner Wars stuff that I have, I may buy SW2.0 as well when it dies and they launch the inevitable SW3.0. I swear, Plaid Hat has lots of good ideas but really poor execution on a consistent basis.

“Well, that’s already a whole crapload of cardboard, pillbox!” you exclaim, gripping fearfully to the straps of your parachute.

“Ahh,” I say waggling a finger, “there’s more!”

The rest all arrived at once, though it represents several months of slow accumulation at my OGS. What finally put it over the free-shipping threshold was:

• Summoner Wars: Bellor’s Retribution / Goodwin’s Blade / Hawk’s Strike / Saella’s Precision / Rukar’s Power / Grungor’s Charge reinforcement packs (that’s 6 different, separate packs)
  • Summoner Wars: Second Summoners - Phoenix Elves / Vanguards / Fallen Kingdom / Tundra Orcs / Guild Dwarves / Cave Goblins (that’s 6 different, separate packs)

So, now I have nearly all of the Summoner Wars 1.0 content. Yet I’m still missing 12 more packs that seem to be out of stock everywhere, so they’re probably gone for good. Still, I have I think over 1000 cards all packed into the SW Alliances Master Set box and if that’s not plenty of variety, I don’t know what is.

But wait, there’s still more cardboard oozing out of this box from the OGS! Let’s persevere:

• Vikings Gone Wild - Ragnarok! - This caught my eye because I’ve picked up Vikings Gone Wild but have not had a chance to play it- this comes with a solo mode! But, maybe let’s pay attention to the publisher when they went on record saying that the solo/co-op mode isn’t very good… sigh, oh well… I probably shouldn’t have bought it. Let’s move on…
  • Bargain Quest - Solo Mode - Now this one is something I wish I had picked up during the Kickstarter; I bought literally everything else they were selling (actually, maybe not… they may have had playmats and I didn’t get those). BQ looks great but the teach looks quite intimidating (which I feel is probably just in my head). The solo mode should let me get used to the game a bit before having to teach it.
  • Hero Realms: Character Pack - Cleric / Fighter / Ranger / Thief - I actually bought this prior to picking up Wizard; my OGS was out of Wizard which is why it was the single one I grabbed up in an auction. So now I have a complete set of characters. Hooray!
  • Camel Up: Supercup - When the new version of Camel Up came out, I immediately thought two things: 1) I wish my edition was as pretty and came with the new expansion module thing and 2) I better buy Supercup since it’s not compatible with the new edition and it’ll never get another print run. I got this super cheap in a daily deal
  • Flick 'em Up!: Red Rock Tomahawk - Oh look, it’s Flick 'em Up’s problematic expansion! Well, I just adore this game, though I haven’t actually played it against anyone yet. It’s so charming; I just wish the expansion content would fit in the dang box - instead I have two canvas sacks sitting atop the wooden box of Flick 'em Up!
  • Dice City: All That Glitters - I’ve talked about Dice City being a fairly interesting solo experience and that I set out to grab up some expansions if I could find them - well, this was on sale, so that’s what I did
  • BattleCON: War of the Indines and BattleCON: Armory - There were on sales at different times, and I almost feel guilty about how little I paid for either one. I really was not prepared for how much content one of the BattleCON base sets came with. It’s a stunning amount of really interesting ideas and execution - no surprise that it’s a L99 game; I am never disappointed in how much passion go into their products.

And that’s about it for a little while. A few more things are still working their ways towards me (including several that I’m very excited about).

6 Likes

Gosh, @pillbox when I grow up I want to have your game collection :slight_smile:

I bought Raiders of the North Sea as my daughter loves to play it on my laptop, and she asked for it for her birthday in June. I have to say, I love that gameplay and the art on the cards is ace. Having so many female characters has been a great influence for my daughter to want it (I still love that she doesn’t want to hang out much with boys if she can avoid it)

4 Likes

So my £4 Poker Chip sampler arrived for Lords of Vegas

Top is the old score marker. The bottom is my replacement. Oh my.

5 Likes

Now THAT’S a illbox post! :wink:

As for myself, I’ve been good so far after my recent purchase (Oceans, The Crew, Unmatched: Brice Lee, and Valerua CC: Flames and Frist), but I keep eyeing a few games.

I may suck it up and preorder the remaining announced Unmatched expansions and The King is Dead reprint (among other items of course).

I need to be careful though, as I have 2 orders on hold at different US OGS, waiting for the borders to loosen so I can ship and pick them up (easier to drive 2 hrs than spend $40-60 on shipping…each!)

Also, my Street Masters Aftershock pledge finally arrived after almost 6 months!!! Well…most of it. I’m in the group still waiting for the SG’s :pensive:

Fortunately, I do believe that BlackList will get us taken care of once Blackbox confirms they’ve shipped everything (for those that don’t eventually get them, as a few backers were receiving them as separate orders). We shall see…

2 Likes

I really enjoy Raiders. I’m actually waiting to see what the feedback is on Raiders of Scythia. It’s built on the same system, with a bit less take that (which I didn’t love in that game).

The main reason I’m interested is that it was described as Raiders with both expansions, but in one box! Going to be a standalone, straight to retail game.

3 Likes

Bought Pax Transhumanity and Pax Porfiriana for decent prices. Keen on the former due to the theme.

4 Likes

My BGG purchased copy of Lords of vegas and it’s up expansion arrived in the post today, which was a pleasant surprise.

Never played it but always fancied it as a “monopoly but good” Game. Just need this to end so I can play it with people.

3 Likes

I really enjoy Lords of Vegas, and have heard multiple people say that they never play without the Up expansion after first trying it out. I really want to get it at some point and see what all the fuss is about.

3 Likes