Last game you bought?

Hoo-eey it’s been a wait, but Dungeon Degenerates finally came back in at a domestic source and I just snapped up a copy. I resisted grabbing anything else for the moment; by all accounts the core box is pretty chock-full anyway. I did feel a slight pang of regret about leaving out the settlement expansion though, but I’ll live.

4 Likes

I bought Kashgar - Merchants of the Silk Road, and preordered Cat in the Box

4 Likes

Just had a small birthday celebration in my wife’s hospital room with her parents, her sister and ker kids. They got me Rococo Deluxe, that game is DECADENT.

17 Likes

Happy birthday! Hope you get the chance to enjoy the game soon.

4 Likes

My partner has been extremely busy lately and didn’t have a lot of time to shop for my birthday. She then made the mistake of taking our children with her to the game store and they (4 years, and ~3 years) “helped” pick out games for me.

Aquatica – I actually already had; she saw the expansion listed on my wishlist and didn’t realize it was the expansion. I’ll exchange it in the next couple of days

Underwater Cities & Underwater Cities: New Discoveries – this one rarely shows up on the secondary market which is sometimes an indicator is a great game. I like some of Suchy’s output, so this was pretty high on my wishlist

The Mind – was chosen because of the bunny on the box (my partner didn’t realize it was actually on my wishlist)

Fortune – I think it was chosen because “it’s pretty” (by the 3-yo). I’ve been interested in the Fast Forward series, so I’m pretty excited about it, even though I think it’s rarely anyone’s favorite of the series (from what I remember of people talking about them before the never-ending onslaught of “the next best thing” pushed these out of the reviewer purview)

It was a reality good birthday. I’m actually shocked that my partner bought me any games at all, because she’s pretty sure we have enough.

7 Likes

Purchased Mare Nostrum: Empires (2016). Came with Mare Nostrum Atlas expansion, Mare Nostrum Buildings and Mare Nostrum Resource Chips. Brand new. Gonna take awhile to learn it but from what I hear, if you like and can handle Ti4, then this will be great as well. Will see how long before I make it a PBF version.
Has anyone played it before?

3 Likes

I have played it once. Didn’t leave that much of an impression. It wasn’t bad.

1 Like

Shelfie Stacker,good price, looked like a good game

2 Likes

And another game that was on sale, Century Golem Edition: Endless World. I have
Century: Golem Edition already, and my group seemed to enjoy it.

1 Like

I regretted not backing Paint the Roses last year so I preordered the basegame from an onlineshop after spending a month or two circling that “preorder” button :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ooh.

We played it with @mistercrayon at the weekend and loved it. Trying to find somewhere in the UK to get an order in.

2 Likes

Sometime between when SUSD gave it a middling to bad review and then later recommended everyone buy it for Christmas, Miniature Market was fire saling it for that much. Amazing how the tides turn.

2 Likes

Separately: A few impulse purchases to report. Man I love impulse purchases. When they hit, it feels like magic.

Ark Nova: To me this looked like a Terraforming Mars that might actually work. Zoo themes are easy to get to the table. Plays 1. We’ll see; I’ve noted a few negative impressions floating around as well.

Planet Unknown: I know almost nothing about this and now that I’ve hit purchase I’m keeping it that way. @Yashima said it was her favorite polyomino game. Saw it plays 1-5, asymmetric, simultaneous, and with an exoplanet colonization theme. Then MiniMart was pre-ordering it for like $8 below competition so I felt like I was getting it on sale. We’ll see!

Ra: Saw this kickstarter on the last day of funding, just based on a comment somewhere on here. I’ve never loved the app but never heard anything but praise from the real world. We’ll give it a spin.

5 Likes

On a bit of a whim I picked up Tokyo Sidekick from a local shop the other day. Not much to go on in terms of opinion online but the premise was cool enough to take a poke (I came very close to backing it when it was live so this wasn’t entirely random). It’s a fun little production in a gigantic, absurd pancake box, and the board will make shrinking the damned thing nigh-impossible… still I’m hoping it offers a fun experience?

Dammit, should not have checked the Top 7 Hidden Gems video, ended up (pre) ordering Wormholes and Village Rails

4 Likes

Wormholes was the one that appealed to me most from the video. I’d be sorely tempted if I felt I knew it was around a 60 minute play time consistently. We’ll see how long my not buying strength remains if I can start playing more consistently again…

4 Likes

Spacebiff didn’t seem to think so much of wormholes, if you want an alternative perspective to maybe save you some cash.

3 Likes

I just unwrapped Gutenberg. Their quest for no plastic looks like a real decent effort. Their solution for creating an axel for a cog (a wooden disc instead of plastic rivets) is kind of inspired.

5 Likes

Not bought, but for my birthday my wife got me the Marvel Champions: Sinister Motives expansion and Caesar! Seize Rome in 20 Minutes!, and her brother went with me to our FLGS and let me pick out something, so I took a chance on Taverns of Tiefenthal.

5 Likes

When you buy a core pledge minis game and think “oh it’ll be quite a big box, but it’ll be fine”.

…and it ends up being 3 Gloomhavens (and a small box)

This is how big some of the minis are…

Whhhhhyyyyyyyyy?

(The game is Oathsworn. Excited to get a campaign in!)

9 Likes