Last game you bought?

That makes me feel better and i bought ultimate railroads and 6 other games … including Iki

7 Likes

A little light shopping, yeah?

It’s probably a good thing I don’t go to retail-oriented conventions!

5 Likes

I remember starting in this hobby where I can buy Village and Castles of Burgundy for 20 quid each

7 Likes

It’s making my “play all the unplayed games” challenge increasingly difficult, as well as making a bit of a mockery of my plan to not buy any games this year. Technically I haven’t bought any games but… * gestures at pile *

6 Likes

So, he doesn’t like co-ops. He plays Age of Steam and bought ALL the maps. He plays troops on a map.

Can I marry him? It’s okay. I met him a couple of days ago.

10 Likes

Those were the days. Unfortunately price anchoring is a thing

3 Likes

He also considers 1862 to be the best game in our collection!

5 Likes

It was my partner’s birthday today and it’s my birthday on Thursday, so we went to see her family and got presents. I got Unmatched: Redemption Row :sunglasses:

6 Likes

That’s a fun set. (Well, they all are.) Just an FYI, they made a ruling on Ghost Rider that you cannot Boost his movement when you use his Hellfire ability. Allowing it made it possible to play in a very unfun way.

3 Likes

Terminator Genisys - Rise Of The Resistance, a cheap (ish) copy was available. And I don’t have a Terminator game…

3 Likes

Not a game per se, but GMT’s solo rule system for seven of their CDGs. I only own two of them so far, but I am patient. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I like the look of Caesar vs Gaul. Sadly I don’t think it would get played all that often

3 Likes

Sometimes I adore indie Kickstarter projects. My Kickstarter pledge for Morels: Foray expansion arrived a full month ahead of schedule, along with the “deluxe” bits and the anniversary edition promo pack

Additionally, I picked up Scorpius Freighter for a song in a BGG auction. This physical production is stellar, and I’m assured there’s a decent game to be found in there as well.

6 Likes

Post UKGE purchases:

• Bought Dynasty Invasion expansion for Rising Sun to complete the whole thing.
  • Fort Sumter - 2 player GMT. I want to try this one and Red Flag Over Paris
  • Vivaldi - did someone said trick taking?!
2 Likes

I’ve got a backlog of purchases for the first half of the year. A few with some more interest, though:
Recently bought Silver Amulet, Silver Bullet, and Silver Coin.

I’ve had Cabo a bit longer and it’s a good game. But after my first session, my mind was spinning with what they should do with that system. Lo and behold, Silver exists from the same people and is exactly what I was looking for. And it has a free app, and it’s great.

However, I couldn’t buy, on principle. The game is literally a deck of cards. 52 cards, 1-13 (well, two 0 and two 13). And each box has a machined piece of metal probably running $ 0.13 in a factory. But they retail these things for $25.

You may turn around and ask, but what about the gameplay? Would you get $25 worth of gameplay out of the box? I mean, yes. But the series is four boxes deep now. Would anyone really pay $100 for four decks of cards an $1 worth of metal figurines?

End of the story, I was able to get Amulet for free, trading for something I had previously gotten for free. Decided I didn’t need Dagger. Price shopped for the other two so in the end it’s three decks of cards for $34. Palatable…

And the editorial - I really think if they put this thing in a blister pack with a baggie and an MSRP of $10 they’d have the next Love Letter on their hands. It’s really good and endlessly replayable, in that light, social, Love Letter way. But instead it’s a footnote in the industry.

1 Like

I took home Return to Dark Tower yesterday and in a shocking twist, actually got about 40 minutes to try it out this (very early) morning! That was enough to get me to what I’m guessing is the tail end of month 3.

That’s hardly much to go on, naturally, but it plays smoothly and the tower seems to work flawlessly so far. I’ve seen comments that the tower gets in the way for solo gaming, but honestly I think the quadrant-based layout is the real culprit: The tower isn’t obscuring my view of the field so much as my position is obscuring my view of the tower relative to the field. How’s that for a mouthful? Anyway I’m standing more than I’d normally do, but I’m not bothered by it.

It has that kernel of Pandemic-style threat management fueling the engine, but the thematic layer is really well implemented and it’s pretty easy to look past its mechanical trappings. How much of that is just the dazzling effect is the big question, though.

7 Likes

I was watching Gamenight play dark tower and I had some thoughts. To some extent you don’t know if the game is purely playing you like a fiddle - it seems so sophisticated that you can imagine a clever app actually rollercoasting you through some great arcs and adventure. Having watched the ending im pretty convinced the app is dragging the players through but only in a limited way. Their ending seemed kind of brutal and unsatisfying so I either hope they got a rule wrong or there’s a steady way to fix their ending.

2 Likes

So far I’ve found it quite easy, honestly (though I’m also using the suggested first game setup). But of course I haven’t made it all the way through.

1 Like

is also a game I bought recently on a whim – partly because it was very cheap on sale at the time; partly because it’s themed around a film I really like; and partly because it came with a groundhog figurine : )

I’ve not yet had a chance to play it, but from what I could tell it’s rather like someone took The Mind and turned it into a game.

1 Like

I’ve just been perusing some of the other stuff that Prospero Hall have been doing with classic films, and happened upon this fantastic review of their take on The Warriors. If you’ve seen the film, I think you’ll dig the review.

1 Like