Last game you bought?

That, or the original, is something I would love to have a crack at someday. Maybe at SHUX!

3 Likes

It was out pretty much constantly at SHUX '19 and I’m guessing that’ll be true again this year!

[EDIT] I bought the Kickstarter extras box online tonight after reading more about the quality of the included content. The box has a formal BGG expansion entry, and it was available via regular channels, so I’m not sure how “exclusive” it’ll be, but some FOMO kicked in here. Anyway, I find these kinds of boxes mostly worthwhile when the content is good, since they greatly increase resale value—mostly an eventuality with me.

2 Likes

Day 1 at UKGE: I take no responsibility for any of these…

• Azul: Queen’s Garden
  • Yedo
  • Iki
  • Civilization

I did buy a cool Loch Ness monster badge though :laughing:

11 Likes

I went to FLGS yesterday with the firm intent to buy Pandemic Iberia (DE) for which I have been waiting for quite a while and Top Ten because it is nominated for SdJ and because it sounds like a fun party game.

I came home with Top Ten because when I took Pandemic Iberia from the shelf somehow I thought about how many pandemic games I already have and how many coop games I have not played enough and somehow put the game back on the shelf „I can always get it later should I run out of games to play, LOL“. My inner FOMO-demon cried out loudly „but what if it sells out and they never have another print-run?“ but for some reason that didn‘t affect me at all.

So that‘s my visit to FLGS. It helped that all the sales people were too busy to chat with me. There were a few other temptations along the way. A copy of Shamans which returned to the shelf because it says 3+ players on the box. A copy of Targi because it says „2“ players on the box. A copy of the new Bruno Cathala trick taking game „Velomino“ (or something) because I can wait for someone else to tell me if it is any good and I have too many small boxes still.

8 Likes

Ooh is Iki good? It is on our radar!

1 Like

It’s great. Top 10 game for me. As a euro it’s decently interactive, quite strategic as well as tactical and fairly snappy. After the first game can be consistently done in around 90 minutes. I find it deliciously heavy in opportunity costs, every thing you could doing will stop you do something else.

4 Likes

It’s currently in the shrink wrap in our hotel, so I’ll let you know!

4 Likes

Thanks. Obviously this does not help the bank balance!

2 Likes

I think I need to play Iki again - it didn’t go over too well, but maybe we need a second go

1 Like

Yep, I’m keeping a close eye on Iki too, waiting for reports :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alrighty. Let’s do the damage report here.

The “hot damn what a bargain” bargain section:

• Rising Sun + Daimyo box + Monster pack + Kami Unbounded
  • Tramways (got it for 20, half of 2nd hand rate)
  • Long Shot: the Dice Game - this is only a “bargain” because it’s going for stupid prices at the moment.
  • Witch’s Brew + promo expansion
  • Billabong - the new compact and shiny 2018 edition - brand new for a tenner. This will replace my old copy that is way to large and too battered.

Note: I would have also taken Strasbourg but a meeple is missing. The meeple isn’t the standard one and reasoned that people will be picky about this when I sell it on 2nd hand market.

The “I feel like I’ve been ripped off even though these prices are standard nowadays” section

• Overload Cafe
  • Town 66
  • The Diamond Swap
  • Hey Yo
  • Moon Adventure
  • Overstocked - preorder from their website

all of these are Oink Games except the last one

The “Just RIght” section:

• Red7 - fiver
  • Municipium (Knizia) - fiver
  • Little Factory (same designers of Little Town) - tenner

Gains from the Maths Trade:

• Panic on Wall Street
  • Undaunted Normandy
  • Mines of Zavandor
  • Faiyum

Also I have picked up 1860: Isle of Wight from Firestorm Cards on the 3rd day.

7 Likes

This one is surprisingly hard to come by, at least around here

3 Likes

How I feel about them too, but when the games are good they feel worth it. However not all of them are good.

3 Likes

Cartographers … my first board game purchase for a few years. I tried it out online first and really enjoyed the tetris vibe. I also liked using cards, instead of the usual dice in most thingy-and-writes. It felt like the options to choose from were more… curated?

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried house-ruling the monsters in any way? Just wondering, in case we play with people who don’t like ‘take that’ (luckily my immediate family are fine with such things). I’m guessing the answer is to just play something different :slightly_smiling_face:.

Looking forward to playing this with the frankly ridiculous number of coloured pencils we have amassed over the years.

4 Likes

The monsters are a great part of the game. I think it makes sense for the monsters to show up in the most awful way which is realistically only doable by a person. Also if you draw the monsters then it makes it kind of more humorous as an act which might help reduce a feeling of viciousness. Save the monsters!

3 Likes

I traded it with Rolling Stock Stars. I enjoy RSS but it’s too dry and mathsy even for a stock-holding type game. And it lacks the “common space” of train games. I feel like I’m only gonna play RSS online (18xx.games has it now!) and it lacks the grandeur of, say, 1817 or Napoleon’s Triumph for me to keep it for the sake of keeping it.

2 Likes

@pillbox I think I might be married to your long-lost British cousin…

14 Likes

Couple of light fillers

7 Likes

A good workout if nothing else.

8 Likes

Kind of makes me dread going to Spiel while at the same time I feel better about my own overflowing shelves :grinning: You got some game nights ahead of you…

6 Likes