Last game you bought?

:man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

Basic stuff!

3 Likes

That reminds me I picked this up for a couple of bucks at a consignment sale a couple of years ago. I should really dig it out. It is entirely possible my older kid could actually play something like this…

2 Likes

Lidl had some Exit games in again, so I grabbed the three different ones they had: Theft on the Mississippi, The Stormy Flight, and The Haunted Roller Coaster.

Gonna try and get at least one played over the holidays, as I now have 7 sat unplayed.

5 Likes

I saw comment that said they are a fine line between enjoyable and frustrating.

After three I would agree with that sentiment.

1 Like

YMMV unquestionably. I’ve only played The Pharaoh’s Tomb, and “aggravating” was the not-so-fine line that it trod for me.

3 Likes

I think if you get a puzzle which takes a while and you find the solution is unsatisfying, it’s going to colour your experience. Mainly because that will be your biggest timesink as well as possibly being the most memorable bit.

That’s how I felt about The Sinister Mansion. I just remember getting aggravated on one puzzle because there were lots of potential solutions that satisfied the riddle (a flaw of a lot of riddles IRL but not usually in Exit). And I really don’t remember anything else about it.

I really enoyed Death on the Orient Express and The Abandoned Cabin though. I remember Pharoah’s Tomb and The Myserious Museum being decent. Haunted rollercoaster was pretty ‘meh’. We didn’t like ‘The Enchanted Forest’ at all.

3 Likes

How much are they in Lidl? May have to pop down and see if they’ve got any

1 Like

ÂŁ10

more words needed

They have 4 available, apparently:

• The Haunted Roller Coaster
  • The Stormy Flight
  • Theft on the Mississippi
  • The Sinister Mansion

A lot of these were on Zatu for about ÂŁ9.60 last week. Obviously there is a postage cost then.

We love them. The Haunted Rollercoaster is a 1/5 for difficulty, which meant we found it a bit easy so not as enjoyable.

Picked up Tawantinsuyu: the Inca Empire from a local consignment sale which had it’s first go at an online store this time around. At $7.50 (went half price on the last day), I couldn’t pass it up, and can probably sell it on and get my money back easily enough if I decide I don’t really need it.

Also just ordered the Unmatched: Deadpool expansion from Barnes & Noble, that remarkably has it available at a good price, when everywhere else I’ve seen it is way overpriced. Which is great, as I’ve heard they may not be able to reprint it due to an expiring license and I was worried I was going to miss out.

4 Likes

The Great Dalmuti is one of my earliest gaming memories. In high school we played a lot of Big 2 and a variant called “Star Wars” I can barely remember the rules to (Emperor was at the top and had a special power to make 1 player retract their play each round, Yoda was at the bottom and got to ruffle through the discard pile for extra cards).

Went to the San Diego ComicCon (where I grew up) back when it WAS a comic convention. Well, that and board games and Magic: The Gathering. It wasn’t until Phantom Menace that the convention blew up and became a Nerd Behemoth for two decades.

Bought a couple of Veteran Bodyguards, M:TG Revised. Played several hours of Talisman which remains my first and only experience with the game (oddly addicting while you are playing, and feel absolutely awful and like you’ve lost hours of your life once you leave the table).

And Wizards of the Coast was there demoing their new Dalmuti game. They had costumes and special chairs, so when you were the Dalmuti you were absolutely awesome. Purple robe, big hat, huge throne. The Greater Peon was on a stool with a potato sack. Anyway, bought two copies; one to play and one in case the first wore out.

In our own meta, The Dalmuti became “Das Booty.” Now I haven’t played it in years (thanks, Tichu) but still have both my copies and all my memories.

4 Likes

Separate topic, separate post. I had a rare, absolute impulse buy. I came across a CGE flyer and, for whatever reason, Pulsar 2849 really spoke to me. Dice drafting and placement, star map, tech tiles.

A modicum of research showed good ratings and distribution. I already have Castles of Burgundy and Grand Austria Hotel, which should fill the niche. But I like Castles of Burgundy and Grand Austria Hotel so I should like this too, right?

We’ll see. Anyone else played this one?

Found a used copy for $29 shipped which was the deal-sealer.

2 Likes

Played it, didn’t find it terribly exciting

1 Like

I’ve only had one play but I liked Pulsar alot. The dice drafting with the median factor was exceptional. The problems with it are probably mainly taste based. It’s super euro but as you like euros that’s possibly ok. It’s definitely got a point salad vibe but that’s balanced by other players positions on the boards and the median dice with it’s associated tracks. This means all things generate points but your good play makes the difference with options assessing and the efficiency of your actions is a touch interactive plus looking at your current game state for how to maximise.

I also like the enormous circular galaxy central board aesthetically and the pieces that look like glowing sweets. That is very subjective though. I enjoyed Kepler slightly more though. Kepler felt like a less good game but more unique

3 Likes

I’ve been reading more reviews post hoc it sounds like a game that gets better a few rounds in. At first, a few obvious pathways dominate and the game feels narrow, but after a while (or after losing to a veteran) you start to see all the other pathways available to you and the game grows.

Also found a fan-made solo mode on BGG.

Looking forward to find out if it’s my cup of tea. We’ll see!

1 Like

Pulsar 2849 looks like the disco that your meeples go to when you’re not around.

7 Likes

So Clover, I could not resist. Ok, and Hansa Teutonica: Big Box

6 Likes

Instead of a game our Christmas present to us is boardgame adjacent :slight_smile: We bought us a set of boardgame ceramic poker chips :slight_smile: We were able to choose denominations and so put together a set that makes sense hopefully. These were apparently made for boardgames and so the colors are a bit less garish and the design is simple. Initially, I thought we might look for the Iron Clays from Roxley but 1) they appear to be sold out at the moment and 2) they still have that issue that they included the 10 denomination that makes so little sense. As previously discussed we went with 1–5–20–100–500 (the 20 looked nicer than the 25).

edit: the link above is incorrect:https://discussion.tekeli.li/t/poker-chips-for-boardgames/

6 Likes

Not me, but my mum has procured three copies of Azul for a stonking ÂŁ10 each.

One to go with the two (!) missing copies in her house, one for me and one for a random BGGer

2 Likes