Last game you bought?

So sometime last week, I may have gone a little overboard… with the hunt.

• Skull is hard to get here. Why? I don’t know. So when it cropped up for a decent price… FOMO made me buy it.
  • Bios: Genesis is the game that I was about to buy at SPIEL last year and then I tried Pax Transhumanity and being the SF fan that I am I opted for the future instead of the past. But I kept going back to this one in my mind and I’ve been wanting some kind of evolution game and this one was already hard to get because SPIEL is basically the only place where Sierra Madre games are easy to obtain. (Our previous attempt was an older game given away quickly after I scored two runaway victories exposing that game’s major weakness.) I am still waffling about getting Oceans… so so blue and so many fish and my partner loves fish
  • Black Secret: I am a completionist and there were several recent mentions of Ghost Stories on the forums that reminded me how good the game is and I decided to get the last expansion before the dreaded Ghost of OOP got it.
  • Outer Planets and Stations… I bought Leaving Earth during a work related stay in Portland in 2019 as I was looking for something I wouldn’t be able to get back home. And then it immediately went to the “meh” pile when my partner suggested he would rather “solve” the game in excel than play. However, half a year later when he finally played a game he got really excited about how much he loved “Kerbal the Boardgame” and how it could only be better with “more stuff” so I went hunting for the expansions and it took me nearly a year to find a shop that had them for a price I was willing to pay
  • not pictured: I also ordered the Nachtschwärmer game that was on this week’s Boardgame news. I had heard about it somewhere else before but I cannot figure out where… when I saw that it is the second game of a new female designer from Cologne and decided I had to support her–also the game just looks cute.

And so now I am going to go downstairs and set up a game of Leaving Earth. See you all on Jupiter edit: Ganymede is probably the better option… :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I still haven’t actually played Stations. And I was the unofficial importer of Leaving Earth into the UK for four rounds of publication. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Haha, this bit speaks to me. It’s far too easy to judge a game by its cover/concept rather than how it plays. I do quite like the GCSE science textbook look of the expansion boxes there, but it seems like a strange choice if you want people to get exciting about playing…

1 Like

After reading about John Bohrer, I decided that I couldn’t have a game from him or any of his pseudonym’s in my collection so I sold Ride the Rails unplayed.

Used the funds to purchase Rallyman GT, on the hunt for some expansions now

1 Like

Join ussssss…

As I understand it: the reprint should be coming back into stock in the next month or two, so you shouldn’t pay a premium. But I may be misinformed.

1 Like

Having managed to sell some games recently, I used my newly-acquired funds to buy a copy of Gaia Project for under 50 quid new, courtesy of a big dink in the box.

My husband spotted it on the shelf and asked me what it was, and his face actually lit up when I told him that it was “Terra Mystica, but better”, so I have high hopes for this one :smiley:

5 Likes

Controversy!!! Totally agree. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

My rate of playing means I’m not rushing to get them. Signed up to stock alerts for at my ‘local’ FLGS so will pick them up then.

Is there any value in extra dice? Thinking a few discs and a sharpie might do the trick to save placing dice and picking them up to roll them. Or fancy plastic squares and a sticker sheet…

1 Like

If/when you’re playing with multiple players it’s nice for everyone to have their own dice. (But not essential of course.)

When I’m playing solo I usually have one set to roll and one set to plot out my move.

And if you have, or know someone with, a 3d printer, there are these:

1 Like

My idea is a lo-fi version of that

1 Like

Bargain. Enjoy

I’d be very interested to know how it goes with 2 players.

1 Like

Controversial, indeed!! I prefer TM but GP is hella good too

4 Likes

With my wife’s encouragement, I picked up two more of the Imperial Assault packs at my FLGS’ sale, the last two that they had in stock which I did not already own. They will get stashed away for Christmas.

Sadly, just a couple weeks ago they had a ton of figures, but the sales person said that FFG has killed the line, so beyond the base game, they won’t have any product in stock for the game. I guess most of the packs got sold on Saturday, which was the beginning of the sale. Looks like I need to search around and get the remaining packs I want before they disappear for good.

7 Likes

Squatter arrived today by courier. The colours are more garish and the markers flimsier that I remember from of old. Haystackes used to be little injection-moulded models, but now they are cards. I think I’ll try filling the pawns with epoxy for a little extra weight.

4 Likes

You do at least have sheeples! (Some editions appear to have replaced these with generic counters.)

1 Like

I have followed @COMaestro into being the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything years old.

Birthday spoils of
Agricola
Coloretto
The Field of the Cloth of Gold
Dominion: Menagerie
And
Trial by Trolley

Coloretto was great fun, obviously my wife won. The rules for Dominion Menagerie look a bit mental. We’ve played Agricola before and I wasn’t in the mood for misery farming today. TFOTCOG box is the cheapest production I’ve ever seen, but I appreciate what Hollandespiele do. Never played one of their games before, but I’m looking forward to having my arse handed to me.

Trial by Trolley. Trying not to be too harsh on a gift, but I’m really not a fan of games in the Cards Against Humanity space. My soon to be 13 year old loved it though.

I was also given some money, which I have some ideas for. I’d love The Resistance, but a high player count social deduction game seems a daft purchase when we can’t get 7 people together. Tempted by Hanamikoji as well, but I think TFOTCOG is going to occupy the 2 player hard decision filler space for now.

6 Likes

That’s a great age. As a warning, I have till December to leave it, and it has not been the best of years (2020 is to be blamed) apart from my reentry in the board games circle, which definitely makes up of the gloom and doom, tbh

3 Likes

I sadly left that earlier this year…

2 Likes

Bought Container (the smaller edition :joy:) and the Second Shipment expansion. Very excite. Really loved it, but the one guy who owns it stops bringing the Jumbo on games night

4 Likes

Where did you get Container from? I really enjoyed the PBF game we had on here, but I wouldn’t pay £90+ for it

1 Like