Introduction thread

I used to like Ecoline but I don’t like the lack of money. You can get a great combo with some Prelude cards though (if you don’t have Prelude I’d thoroughly recommend it)

Kindred spirits! Huzzah and other such utterances!

I know, right? I want to try out TM and Inis with 3/4 players so bad… Maybe my wife could destroy someone ELSE for a change, LOL. My mother-in-law’s a fan of board games as well, but those are just a bit above her level for the moment, she’s learning Quacks of Quedlinbug with both expansions at the moment and she’s not a regular player. But one day!

We also like to play the co-op variant of TM, that really gave that game a new set of wings (as if it really needed them…)

2 Likes

The lack of money hurts, yes. We don’t have Prelude. From what I’ve read it’s mostly to speed up the early game? We’ve never found the early game to be super slow, but maybe it would be more of an issue with more players…

1 Like

You obviously aren’t in the UK, he’s talking about a mug of tea :grin:

4 Likes

Correct. I’m in Quebec, in Canada. I’m still trapped for an hour. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

That’s basically it. You get two cards that push your engine along; some money, some production, a city placement that kind of thing. It’s not so much the time it saves (my wife and I fly through Terraforming Mars), but it gets you into the game a bit quicker so you can do stuff.

2 Likes

Interesting. We got the Venus Next expansion, but we’ve only played with it the once. Not that it’s not good, it’s just that the base game is already strong enough that we don’t feel the need for it. Especially at the price they are, LOL.

2 Likes

This is the reason that Prelude has been in my online shopping basket many times, but I still don’t have it!

2 Likes

While I am more of a completionist with expansions, TM is a special case as it becomes just such a monster with all of them.

However, if you were to own only a single one, I would recommend Prelude because it folds so easily into the start of the base-game and because it is not a short game a little speed boost at the start is quite welcome. Venus and Colonies both create sideboards that take you away from the main game. If I had to choose between these 2 in particular I think I prefer colonies as it seems more flexible and at least adds some resources back to Mars. Venus is—please correct me @Simfers you have probably used this one more recently than I—more of another track to run up. The map expansions are fine but I am not sure that map variety is for anyone but the all-in crowd :wink:

Personally, the one I most want to see in action next is Turmoil. In my test games the parliament was just great. However this also delivered too close to Covid for it to have found its way to the table.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s basically what Venus is. You get a short track with a couple of bonuses and a nee resource (floaters). Like, it’s… Fine? It’s more TM, which is good, but it’s not essential playing.

1 Like

Two years later. Still no terrible use of my powers. Probably.

6 Likes

That we know of :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Well, if you don’t have access to the s00per s3kr1t graveyard subforum…

3 Likes

I feel like this is a warning that your ban hammer hand is getting itchy.

4 Likes

It’s more the insanity of being here for two whole years.

5 Likes

:laughing:

3 Likes

I admit I love that one

4 Likes

OK, so this is the intro thread? Am I posting in the right place? :smiley:

My name is Tim. Born in London a few years ago, home is now the US.

By day I work on the outskirts of aerospace for a research institute.

I have a 4 year old who keeps me busy. I used to game before the kid :smiley:

These days my gaming takes the form of setting design but time is hard to find and I have more ideas than words actually written. I found this website linked from Flat Black after my other occasional online haunt, SFRPG discussion.net appears to have disappeared.

:slight_smile:

20 Likes

Welcome, Tim!

4 Likes

I’m liking the vibe here Roger, looking forward to more reading…

4 Likes