How are you today?

Yeah, that sucks but the positive is you got through the door into an interview.

2 Likes

I get to work a half-day today! Yay!

But it’s so I can go to the dentist this afternoon! Boo!

But I also have a half-day tomorrow and it’s a long week-end here! Yay

My life is a roller-coaster of emotions.

11 Likes

Work has been a parade of small catastrophes today. Thanks to TikTok, we’ve had to shut down all but 2 of our student bathrooms on campus. One of the open ones is about 6 feet from the door to my classroom, so I get roughly 750 folks rolling through there a couple times a day. Half of the vaping, vandalism, little bags of weed, and other high school drama have been funneled right next to my door.

One upside is that I’ve gotten to know our security guards better, and it turns out they’re all pretty cool folks.

On a more positive note, I get three days off to put together my grandmother’s funeral. She was quite old, and suffering from severe dementia, with no real quality of life for the last couple years, so we’d already said our goodbyes. She can probably be credited for my love of card games, because she put a lot of time into trying to teach me how to play Whist as a child.

Since I’m the last Catholic standing in our family, she had apparently requested that I manage the final arrangements. It’s been a surprisingly cathartic and positive experience.

15 Likes

Friday morning at 6 am I was clocking in with 43 hours already worked. Plus assignments in the evening.

Thanks God is Friday. At least this evening I am going to the cinema with mates to see No Time To Die. Woot, woot!!

3 Likes

What does this mean?

1 Like

There’s a TikTok “challenge” that is prompting teens to destroy mirrors, sinks, toilets and other things in public bathrooms.

3 Likes

Ah yes, the best way to stick it to The Man is by vandalising communal utilities.

But I suppose the motivation is different these days? Accruing views?

2 Likes

Yeah, I really don’t understand the youth of today.

Admittedly, I wasn’t all that connected with my generation as a teen.

1 Like

Oh, I did my share of sticking it to The Man. Organising protests, arguing with police, and, uh, vandalising public property while drunk. I didn’t document any of it with video evidence though.

3 Likes

We had a boy pooping into an urinal at our school this week. Is that also part of this challenge?

O_O

maybe?

Some rough weeks right now.

Younger grades (1st and 2nd) have to get their toilet paper from the teachers because too many of them just throw all of it into the toilet and flood the stall.

We’ve had that happen multiple times this year. I’m not sure if it’s part of the current challenge, or if they were actually utilizing their own creativity and initiative.

Oh, it happens more often than you think with younger children

I decided to bail on my lesson plans today and wing it, in the hopes of dragging my students out of their destructive boredom and into a more creative place.

I had each class create and write up rules for poker variants.
My favorite was what they called Thieves Poker, where, after placing bets, each player can steal one, or purchase multiple, card(s) from another player’s hand. This is followed by another round of bets. The rules need some tightening up, but it was a hit among the students, and earned me some wicked side-eyes from the visiting admin.

5 Likes

“And this, students, is how you steal and gamble at the same time”

4 Likes

As long as they can communicate effectively about it, I can score it!

5 Likes

I found out a dear friend from high school killed himself over the weekend. Such a horrible thing for his wife and kids.

Dang. I can’t put a like on that.

That’s an awful thing for everybody involved and I hope you’ve got what you need.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear this. Are you okay?

1 Like