How are you today?

Wow, so I just realized I just dropped the bombshell about my wife having stage 4 breast cancer at the beginning of July and then gave ZERO follow-up. I feel SUPER bad about that, sorry. Especially since the follow-up has been… Well, actually really positive. Here it is in abridged, bullet-point form:

1. Biopsy came back with hormonal markers ER+, PR+ and HER2- (these might be French acronyms, though). This is incredibly good news, since it’s the best-known type with a lot of research programs happening and well-established, effective treatment protocols.

2. She got radiation therapy on her L4 vertebra to decrease the metastasis on it. It targeted only that one since it’s the only part of the whole thing that was giving her any kind of grief (back pain). The rest (millimetric lesions on other vertebrae and a rib, maybe two spots on her liver and a possible micro-nodule on her lung) was gonna be taken care of in systemic treatments. Radiation has worked very well.

3. PET scan was done and confirmed that she has NOTHING on any organ. Liver spots and lung nodule were confirmed benign. Also, while they thought she had lumps in both her breasts, turns out it’s JUST in her left one. This is hugely good news as well. Even better, scan showed no real progression from the initial scan on 30 June and the PET scan on 22 July.

4. She managed to get onboarded by Dr. Jamil Asselah, at the McGill University Hospital, who is at the VERY least the best oncologist in Quebec when it comes to breast cancer, and an international authority on the subject as well. On top of being a top-flight doctor, he’s also a leading researcher and in charge of all the research protocols. So he’s on the bleeding edge. She… She found his e-mail on the Web and wrote him. At 2:17 on a Friday afternoon. 18 minutes later, her phone rang to give her an appointment for the following Tuesday, in Montreal. Unheard-of. This kind of thing just DOES NOT happen in Quebec, except it did this time. For her.

5. She started her treatments with him last week. These consist of two monthly injections which are sent over to us and given at a local community health centre. One is to cut off her hormone production in her ovaries, essentially inducing menopause to starve the cancer. The second is to solidify her bones due to the metastases on there and also due to the menopause leading to reduced bone density. And also two pills, one taken once a day to cut off the rest of the hormones and continue starving the cancer, the other, twice a day, to actually ATTACK the cancer cells. All of this is done at home. Control appointment is in November, she’s also likely gonna need to get there earlier to start rehabbing her back. Waiting to hear exactly.

6. The whole team has been STELLAR. Confident, reassuring, knowledgeable, she is in terrific hands.

7. Remember how I said she’d started treatments last week? That lump in her left breast has already shrunk an appreciable amount.

So… That’s about it. I’ll try to be better about updating you all.

Cheers!

28 Likes

I hope the fantastic luck continues!

4 Likes

That is great news!

3 Likes

Very happy to hear!

3 Likes

This all sounds amazing! Hoping for continued progress in this direction :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Fingers crossed, the good news will keep going! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing, hopefully it’s a short road to recovery.

1 Like

The appointment was pretty productive. As much as I’ve been told to come back in a month, I’ve been given a good explanation of what the issue might be and some things to do at home to help (which are different from the things I had been doing).

Always amusing to see medical professionals use Google Image Search for illustrative diagrams.

7 Likes

Wow - that all sounds great. Fingers crossed for it all going as well in the future!

4 Likes

Realized I never followed up on my kid’s sleep apnea test. While we have not received the results yet, my kiddo slept through the whole night with the device on, and all the tubing and stuff. Super proud of him, and we were told they got enough info from it that he will not need to go to a sleep center for another test. So very thankful for that.

12 Likes

I am so very happy for both of you and hope the positive trajectory continues. It is wonderful that you have found such a great medical team. Cancer is scary stuff. All the best to you both!

6 Likes

That’s really encouraging news, thanks for the update!

4 Likes

It is indeed encouraging news. Just a word of caution/advice, and that is that being crashed into menopause might well be nasty. The bone density, there’s an eye on already, but the rest can be quite unpleasant. I hope there is support and advice for that in place. If not, make it so.
Wishing all the best to the Simfers, and so happy to have seen such a positive update - thank you.
Gus

6 Likes

Thanks for the concern, Gus, it is truly appreciated. And everybody, thank you for the well-wishes! Things are indeed going very well!

To address Gus’ very well founded concern, resources are indeed available should they be needed. These include physical therapy, ergotherapy, pain management, medical care and psycho-social support, all reachable through two resource persons.

GREAT hands!

6 Likes

That’s so good to hear. Oh, and you take care of yourself properly, eh?
Good wishes being beamed from London.
G

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s easy to get lost in taking care of someone else, but I always make sure to have some time to myself and watch or read something fun. Can’t forget to do that.

Thanks, mate, I appreciate it. :grin:

6 Likes

My eldest has just picked up the GCSEs that he did a year early.

A* Maths, A* Physics, A* Chemistry, A Biology. He got 100% in Physics and Chemistry.

I’m going full Bert Le Clos

17 Likes

Inspired, I am DMing my first D&D session with family and friends tomorrow. Really excited, and I cannot wait to see SUSD video after work for some hints…

8 Likes

Very impressive! Did he do all of his GCSEs early or is he spreading them out over two years?

2 Likes

I have tested positive for COVID-19. So far it’s just me in the household with symptoms.

We suspect I was likely exposed while at my oldest daughter’s Jiu-Jitsu practice.

So far it’s just like any other cold. Head congestion, mild headache, a touch of body aches and some occasional chill.

14 Likes