Help us celebrate TEN YEARS of Shut Up & Sit Down!

2021-07-14T18:53:02Z

4 Likes

What have I done with the last ten years? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

3 Likes

I’m overly annoyed that lapel mic is upside down

3 Likes

I’m interested to see what form these retrospectives on games are gonna take. Will they be mini reviews? Maybe some edited plays with some freestyle impressions at the end as they decide where to slot it into the rankings? They could certainly have a lot of fun with it.

2 Likes

I have the same model of speakers as the ones on the desk. (But I can’t identify the handheld recorder at about 3:50: Tascam DR-05?) Ahem. I notice these things.

It looks as if I got on board quite early, about 2013, with the plays of Avalon and Space Cadets, but even then they’d gone through several styles. I was starting to recommend them to people in mid 2014.

3 Likes

Via the penny arcade site.

I’m an original!

7 Likes

I found them in 2015 via the problem players video. Then proceeded to watch everything else :laughing:

Fortunately, we’d just moved into our new flat, so I had space to fill with games.

4 Likes

I noticed the links to their content on Penny Arcade, but never watched them. I don’t think it was until they started having content on The Escapist that I started watching them. Not certain what year that was.

3 Likes

Do we count Not Cardboard Children?

I’d been enjoying Rab Florence’s series, but when Quinns stepped in for a bit while Rab was busy, he did that column so much better that I was kinda gutted when it came time for it to revert to its original title. Then I learned that Quinns had a new show, seemingly to carry on what he’d started, but in video form, and with someone called Paul – so that was alright.

What was happening at Penny Arcade? Was that earlier still?

4 Likes

I didn’t recall when I stumbled across SUSD, but I do recall bingeing Season 1 and Season 2 on Vimeo as soon as I did.

3 Likes

I found them in 2015 from their Cosmic Encounter playthrough and then started watching backwards from I think the Mafia de Cuba review? That sounds about right. It was a time when I was not very busy at work so I really binged their stuff.

2 Likes

I don’t remember. You’d think a professional historian could be good with dates, but not in my case. I found them in time that I was donating back when they were sending out the physical stuff to people. Gold bags I think they called it. I wasn’t in on the first one of those and there was lots of back catalogs of stuff for me to watch on Vimeo/ Tumblr. Whenever that would be.

3 Likes

I’m pretty new to SUSD, especially the videos because I never seem to have the right device to watch them when I have time.

I think I got in about 3 years ago. Memoir 44 was the first video I watched

2 Likes

September 2018. I was waffling about Gloomhaven and found Matt’s review. Stopped waffling, went down the rabbit hole. Edit: multitude of rabbit holes—the reviews, the games, Gloomhaven, building inserts…

Edit: and I messed up the year it was 2019… that is what a pandemic will do to you…time means nothing anymore.

6 Likes

Reviewing some old Google Hangouts conversations, I think it was June of 2014 that I discovered the Shut Up & Sit Down board game show while waiting for new episodes of Tabletop to be released.

Also: it was right after my partner and I had made an exhaustive list of songs to play at our wedding, and right before I dove head-first into a 12+ hour session of Dwarf Fortress because a new version had just been released that I had been looking forward to (I don’t recall why)

3 Likes

I googled and it looks like it was Gold Club Bags and they mostly went out in 2014. So sometime in 2014 should be when I stumbled upon SUSD.

2 Likes

At least 2014, possibly via this

2 Likes

I first found out about SUSD in early to mid 2019 when I was getting back into boardgames and catching up on Tabletop videos, but it was a mention on Nerdarchy to finally lead me to check out one of their videos - most probably the Gloomhaven one but I can’t recall.

I’ve been living in Spain for over 10 years now but moved here from Brighton so I like to think I’d have bumped into Quinns at some stage had I stayed in the UK.

3 Likes

Must have been post-2013, because I didn’t get into board games until after that. I don’t remember what the first video that I saw was though :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes