Good plastic clinkity sounds

Continuing the discussion from Last game you bought?:

Games that do this, in my collection or that I’ve played:

• Azul
  • Ingenious
  • Splendor (I gather more recent editions may have lighter chips)
  • Project L
  • coin capsules on anything (I have them on my tokens for Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn)
5 Likes

Libertalia: Winds of Galecrest has a bag full of Opal Fruits Starburst clacky tiles.

Crossing has a bag full of gems, but they’re not quite as satisfying.

4 Likes

The new Ra Pharaoh Edition wooden tiles are lightly-clacky. It is oddly satisfying to reach into that bag and just swirl your hand around.

3 Likes

I did think about making a “street Azul” using these but it would have cost more than the actual game.

3 Likes

You’d also have to end the game early if you were eating the tiles after using them. There’d be none left to go into the bag once it ran out.

3 Likes

Poker chips? edit: lol so i saw this first and didn’t click on the original… of course it was poker chips. seems to be my week for posting the thing that had already been posted (at work happened twice on thursday)

2 Likes

Aside from my poker chips…

Quacks Bags full of Geekup upgrade potion ingredients satisfy me hugely for that shuffling sound. A long standing thing for me this that has a good history of plastic ‘crystals’ in a bag. Examples include Murano and the version of Love Letter my brother has, Adventure time. Really jiggling the bags to make the plastic tinkle off each other is wonderful. Quacks has the advantage of having justification between each draw for the sound.

Not plastic but tipping the wooden blocks from a copy of The Climbers has good aural satisfaction.

4 Likes

I’ll take wood clacking or metal clinking over plastic every time.

2 Likes

I actually love the sound of plastic*, and the feel of it in my hands. I’d choose it over metal in all cases, leather and wood in some.

*Very much depends on what type of plastic.

[EDIT to add] I’m struggling to think of specific examples at the moment, but some cardboard tokens can really have a nice clack to them.

[Double EDIT spectacular] Men at Work has those wonderful girders that really have a spoke-ish clink to them that comes out when they fall, or even rub. Love em.

2 Likes

Splendor came to my mind. The tokens are very satisfying.

1 Like

I know this topic is meant to be about plasticky sounds, but there are just so many lovely sounds in games.

Mmm. A handful of dice into a wooden tray in so many games. I can just hear the noise now.

The clack of a petulant ‘get-off-the-board’ shot in Crokinole.

The tumbling of wooden sticks/blocks in Jenga, Bandu or Men at Work.

I’d even make a case for Snooker, the sounds of which are fabulously relaxing.

4 Likes

I have the potion ingredients in coin capsules. First played a friend’s copy where they’d done this and decided that using just the cardboard would be too disappointing after that :laughing:

6 Likes

Azul: Summer Pavilion is incredible for heavy clinky goodness.

Cascadia is great for the feel of lighter wooden tokens, if not the sound.

Plus, the cardboard tends to wear and get a bit sticky over time, especially the white pieces. Coin capsules (or GeekBits) are practically essential.

2 Likes

War Chest uses poker chips and you are bag building in it so clacking the chips around in that bag to shuffle is a satisfying time

2 Likes

Oh also Go is very satisfying to clack the pieces onto the board, or even just fiddling with them while your thinking

4 Likes

There’s a game called Tajuto which is the exact opposite of good plastic. It’s a game which feels like putting your hand into a bag of spikes.

3 Likes