Filming eras and locations

The best indication I found is to see which residence Quinns is living in the video. :joy:

7 Likes

Yeah, I really ought to work that out some time. In a non-creepy way! :male_detective:

1 Like

So, triangulation and trigonometry from the landmarks visible from his windows and then sell that information to Asmodee/Z-Man, yes? Better still, sell them false information!

3 Likes

The mirrory place with big windows is Brighton and the other relatively cozy place with his two shelves facing each other is the one in London. Tigers and Pots, Istanbul, and loads more were filmed there.

There are more but would need to revisit those episodes to differentiate them properly. Theres one where they filmed Terra Mystica, Village, Caverna, Archipelago (part of the Hexagonal Festival episode)

2 Likes

Trying to be non-creepy about this. Here’s a start.

The “Carpet King” days 2011:

• Chat Noir poster
  • black table
  • white shelf with mixed games and other things
  • seen well in: s1e2 The Descent Special, s2e1 Fortune & Glory

Matt’s first place:

• used in The Opener
  • round table with inlaid blocks
  • often a bicycle
  • big curtain/blind with a landscape with islands, sea and people

Q/P #2 2013:

• white decor with light wood doors, visible breaker box above a pair of doors
  • the classic kitchen with the “aliens” sign
  • New Amsterdam, Quantum

Q/P #3 mid 2014:

• X-Wing and Armada and how to teach games
  • the white-on-black London Underground sign in the fireplace
2 Likes

I might be mistaken, but I don’t think Quinns and Paul ever lived together? There always seems to have been at least two flats/houses in play at any one time.

The old SU&SD Vimeo is still up, which has videos in the order they were uploaded: https://vimeo.com/shutupshow It goes from the very first episode up until not long after Paul had moved to Canada.

One thing I noticed from a quick skim of them is that in the older videos you can tell whose flat it is by what table they’re using. Paul had a glass-topped one and Quinns had a light wood one (until he got his black Ikea table).

3 Likes

We all realize how obsessive we are about this, right? :wink:

(I’m including myself, too–I’ve certainly taken note of many of the details being shared here.)

3 Likes

@bruitist - I believe you’re correct, “Q/P” is meant to indicate that I don’t know whose flat it is.

Is this different from Matt’s current place - e.g. Food Chain Magnate (aka I partially own a garden!)

1 Like

I think so - certainly a different table (rectangular light-wood). FCM also has a view out through the front door giving a name (which I won’t say here because then it would be easily searched), and a black fireplace surround.

2 Likes

This feels like the initial planning phase for “Shut Up & Sit Down Bus Tours”.

“And if you look to your left, ladies and gentlemen, you’ll recognise the very steps atop which Quinns clutched Twilight Imperium in his arms whilst licking his lips.”

4 Likes

This must include a barge trip along the canal Quinns “fell” into.

4 Likes

Canals are, after all, stupid. And that’s why we have trains (and cubes)

Why the hostility towards canals, pillbox? I mean, unless playing Brass, in which canals are actually stupid.

1 Like

I was just riffing on the video review of Brass (Lancashire).

I secretly want to take a canal boat holiday through the UK

1 Like

My mum lived on a narrowboat for a time.

1 Like

Just before Paul left SUSD I was able to triangulate his residence as the building next to mine (I’ve since moved). Every day walking to work I’d see ‘The bench from the Azul review’ :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

By getting you points at the end of the canal era?? How’s that stupid? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

As an action that does not get you any cash, it also has a bad return on VPs. It’s inefficient, in terms of action economy (and very different from building rail, which is among the best action to VP ratio). You want other people to be building the canals for you, so it’s something to do only when you have to, or have no better options.

But I wasn’t really making a serious comment about Brass, just deflecting slightly from the question. For all I knew at the time of posting, pillbox actually had a reason to hate canals.

2 Likes

A canal once called @pillbox fat. They have been bitter enemies ever since.

3 Likes