Cream Tea - Jam or Cream first on scones?

As we have kids the ketchup rarely leaves the table

1 Like

Is it not just a liquid over there? I would absolutely not pour cream on bread.

No, thick double cream needs spooning on

I have no idea what you’re talking about. The thickest cream over here still comes in a carton and is too low viscosity to put on bread.

Lemon curd > jam, in my opinion. But then I wouldn’t be having a scone by choice.

Ooh, now I’ve thought about how Easter is coming up and I could have some toasted hot cross buns! I once found a hot cross bun loaf, which was amazing!

Also: brown sauce > all other sauces. Ketchup is awful stuff. Generally keep ours in the fridge, but only so it’s with the other condiments.

3 Likes

(Mods let me know if you need me to shut down this fractious debate.)

6 Likes

Maybe we need a Thunderdome area! :rofl:

The Thunderscone…

11 Likes

I think crème double is here what you mean with double cream in this particular case. I think mascarpone could be used as well.

Sometimes recipes requiring double cream will use our standard cream. It is not always easy with British recipes over here.

2 Likes

Ba dum tisch!!

Well done that man

1 Like

They’ve been in Sainsburys since the start of the year, baked in-store.

2 Likes

Damn. Kinda makes me miss living round the corner from Sainsbury’s (though not that much, as Lidl is far cheaper).

Scones, made this afternoon by my son and prepared by my wife. I’d recommend this way round

10 Likes

I made scones earlier but sadly have no cream

3 Likes

Cream is different things in different countries.

In Canada they sell “light cream” at 3% butterfat. In Australia we’d call that “full-fat milk”.

In Australia and New Zealand, cream that is about 12.5% butterfat is “extra lite cream”. In the UK that’s “half cream” and in the USA that is a little heavier than “half-and-half”.

In Australia and New Zealand, cream that is about 18% butterfat is “light cream”. In the UK that’s “cream” or “single cream”, and in the USA it’s “light cream”.

In the USA they sell you “whipping cream” that is 25% butterfat. That’s not available in Australia.

In Australia and New Zealand, cream that is about 35% butterfat is “pure cream”. In the UK that’s “whipping cream”, and in the USA it’s “heavy cream”.

In Australia and New Zealand, cream that is about 48% butterfat or thicker is “double cream”. In the UK that’s “extra-thick double cream”, and in the USA it’s not available.

British “clotted cream” is at least about 55% butterfat and has been heat-treated. You can get something in Australia called “Extra Dollop” (a trademark) that is about as rich but has not been heat-treated.

7 Likes

In response to the the OP, it seems plain to me on structural grounds that the more viscous topping must go on first. When you have the good fortune to have clotted cream that goes on first and the jam on top. But when you are being served whipped cream as a substitute it is practically necessary to spread the jam first and than spoon a bit of structurally-unsound whipped cream on top of it. :frowning:

When you lack clotted cream and jam, scones can be eaten with butter and Vegemite®.

6 Likes

Of course scones with lemon curd would be fine, and indeed delicious (buttered first, because, well, butter…)
Make lemon curd, you know you want to. One of the loveliest bits of kitchen magic, that. Scones become slightly irrelevant at this point.

Oh, and clotted cream is somewhat overrated, according to the supreme authority of me.

Hope the chocolate muffins are keeping body and soul together, me dear.

3 Likes

In the US, heavy cream is at least 36% milkfat. better quality brands tend to be bit higher. 40% fat cream (“manufacturing cream”) is readily available, at least to commercial customers, and it’s fairly often at one of the supermarkets I shop at (and more widly between thanksgiving and christmas.

the cream I buy is between 40 and 50% milkfat, the exact percentage is somewhat variable. (It comes from a small dairy, they do the seperation and processing on site.) Sadly, it’s UHT pasturized, and so I can’t make clotted cream from it.

1 Like

Brown Sauce on bacon, always. And on British sausages as well. For Frankfurters, mustard and a touch of ketchup.

And I like to keep the sauces in the fridge. Because even if the shops keep them on the shelf, the bottle tends to say “once open, keep refrigerated”. And I tend to follow things like that.

Scones with lemon curd sound delicious. I would even experiment a sprinkling of cinnamon. Yummm!

I am so glad Covid has not deprived me of my sense of smell…

4 Likes

I think we can all put aside our differences to condemn this piece of heresy!!

3 Likes