Boxes full of air and other tragedies

In general, I’m less disappointed by overly-large boxes (well, probably because I live in a place with big, cheap houses) than I am overly-expensive decks of cards. Sell me a $30 expansion that turns out to be a deck of 25 cards… well, I’ll be pretty grumpy about it (did I mention that I didn’t pledge for the Lords of Vegas Underworld expansion?)

4 Likes

Im sure they’ll ask that. But as one sales person in our company said: they made a sale and that’s customer service’s responsibility now.

6 Likes

I remember seeing on Etsy cloth Azul player boards which could make Azul the size of hive or another more transportable game.

4 Likes

Actually, I like the two slots in the Arboretum box. Since I mostly play two player, I only use a subset of the trees. So one side holds what we play with regularly, the other side holds the other tree species if we ever play with more people. Makes breaking it out quicker as I don’t need to sort anything for a two player game.

Totally agree with Splendor. I have a small drawstring bag that fits everything easily. My kids destroyed the manual anyway, and tore up the box a bit.

5 Likes

I nabbed the PnP for that, so when I get round to it. Print cut sleeve with some playing cards. Done.

1 Like

It’s this, which I was going to post in the “What are you watching” thread.

(Retail worker at IKEA finally tells customers what he really thinks) :

Agree with Roger, anyone opening a big box to find a small pack of cards in the center of packaging is going to feel short-changed.

1 Like

Matagot’s strategy games (Cyclades, Inis, Kemet) are mystifyingly large.
My copy of Cyclades (and two expansions) fits into the Titans expansion box.

I ended up not buying The King is Dead 2nd edition because of the size of the box compared to the 1st edition (as well as the worse board-art and theme). I bought War of Whispers 2nd edition instead, which turns out to also be full of air (albeit not quite as bad).

But the biggest irritation for me is Lords of Vegas which comes in a big box. It’s a board, one pack of 52 cards, a small wad of paper money, and a handful of dice. Not only is the box enormous for that, but it comes with an insert designed for a different game. You can fit an entire set of poker chips in with the game.

3 Likes

Having ordered the chips and upgraded insert from the lords of Vegas Kickstarter I’m hoping that this problem is solved.

3 Likes

You’re lucky. My copy of Lords of Vegas did not have an insert. I should really try to make my own sometime.

3 Likes

The latest addition to my hoard; Galaxy Trucker: Missions. I knew it was a small expansion, but man that’s a lot of box. Of course I’ll just be dumping the stuff into the Box That Ate Everything anyway, but it still feels less satisfying to feel that very light little box.

4 Likes

:frowning:

11 Likes

Sorry, I laughed

It’s absurdly tiny and cute but ill fit for its purpose!

5 Likes

I guess that’s the Dexterity Game expansion for Railway Ink. You only get to use the dice which you manage to throw into the cup.

5 Likes

Did they confuse imperial with metric? :joy:

4 Likes

I think the best explanation possible is that they planned a larger version but prices changed and they thought they could get away with a “slightly smaller” size.

But how did they green light these after receiving production samples? It’s just… unbelievable.

4 Likes

I thought it was more, they planned for bigger ones, ended up with smaller ones and thought they’d try and claim their backers wanted dice trays that would fit in the box? :wink:

This made me laugh:

6 Likes

Certainly I was thinking of something more like:

but to be honest even those are a bit small for use as dice trays, which is why I didn’t go for them in the end.

7 Likes

I do possess an excellent folding dice tray (which I bought after backing this Kickstarter) so I’ll probably use these as bit trays. I am a bit put out though!

4 Likes

How tall is it? It looks like on a big table you would not be able to see the dice from a distance

FWIW I got myself one of these and find it good.

I see they also sell a ridiculously large “XL” version.

1 Like