Board Game Based Puzzles

Thanks for putting me out of my misery. I was running down the “sand t???” road

1 Like

Darn, I was still half-way through writing the software to brute-force it when you posted this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha! I was about 5 minutes from breaking out Python.

Nevermind about my “sand t???” that didn’t even work out far enough to spell the first word.

1 Like

The options for what it might be was written on my paper as

T
H or P
I or T
E or S
F or P*

so try thief and see what that puts up top just kind of jumped out as the obvious thing to do first. Got lucky.
*I think those are the not-used letters. I’ve scratched through them now so might be misreading my own handwriting.

1 Like

Just now noticed this thread.

Stop Thief is a game. Any way to fit STOP in the top portion?

1 Like

Nope. I had a mistake in my formatting so I was looking at the wrong column to complete the first word

There was only one possibility for the ‘A’ and the ‘N’ in the first word

Daily Worker Placement is back with another puzzle. This one is a crossword and I think only some of the answers are game based. There’s also a chance at an actual prize for once, a copy of Hadara, for those with a North American address only.

https://dailyworkerplacement.com/2020/07/01/2020-halfway-day-contest/

I’ve only had a chance for a brief skim. Two board game answers jumped out at me right off (12 across and 22 down), but I’ll hopefully have time for a proper look tomorrow.

Hoo boy, this one’s a doozy. Well, skimming through, I see a couple:

1 Across - Malta
24 Across - Nods
25 Down - Spade

Not really getting a lot off of those though. They’ve really put a lot of twists and turns on this one.

1 Like

I’m not really a cryptic crossword person but I think maybe

32 across - brigade (if “destroying” can mean “anagramming”)

1 Like

12 across jumped out at me too!

EDIT and 22 down. I’m not helping!

1 Like

I think I’ve got a few more so far:

1 Down - Mambas
13 Down - Dealers
26 Down - Joust

Edit: more as I get them.

10 Across - Mod
30 Across - Señorita
15 Down - Vein
29 Across - Prom
25 Down - Spade
35 Across - Pests
27 Across - Voter
34 Across - Arcane
28 Down - Toga
17 Across - Sets

1 Like

Interesting that a puzzle that uses a cryptic crossword style popular in the UK will will only ship prizes to the US.

Maybe UK-style cryptics are taking off in the US. Can any US-dwellers confirm/deny?

I don’t do crosswords much so I don’t know.

I think the only new one I’ve got so far that isn’t already posted is 33 across Desi.

Never seen it before in my life. I’m not the best judge though; my wife and I often did the NYT crossword on public transit but I’m by no means seeking out new styles.

It’s only ship to North America and at least one of the clues has a distinctly non-US spelling (colour in across 19) so maybe Canadian?

2 Likes

Thanks to @Assussanni’s many clues I’ve got:

22 Down - Lisba
22 Across - Leia

1 Like

Here’s the grid so far unless I’ve missed something someone has said.

12 Across is Concordia but it’s one of the 9 drop a letter ones and we don’t know which letter before the D gets dropped yet so that’s why it’s penciled in like that.

1 Like

11 down looks like it should be Dominion but I’m not sure how that fits with the clue… Perhaps DMINION because Igor is a minion?

1 Like

They are all minions and a party is a do, so Dominion.

For the board game ones:
3 Down is Troyes.
4 Down is Ticket to Ride.
6 Down is On Mars.
Pretty sure 20 Across is an anagram of “I slid parts in”, but I haven’t got it yet.

2 Likes