Board Game Based Puzzles

More Britishisms XD

1 Like

16 across: kneel (Neil)

Cryptic crosswords yes, but that style of separating clues with thick lines is not at all the UK standard - ours usually use blocks, more like

or even the sort I grew up seeing

1 Like

14 Across - Buoy
19 Across - Pals
4 Across - Took To
5 Down - Ogre

1 Like

21 Down - Nemesis (missing the first S)
Which means 31 Across - Sue (like Sioux)

1 Like

The first of those is what I consider to be US-style in construction and clues. The second is a standard back-of-the-paper style, which is normally cryptic but all the papers do a non-cryptic that looks similar.

All the UK broadsheets (I’m not sure what they’re called these days, but broadsheet used to describe them) have a barred-style thematic cryptic at the weekend, with cryptic clues and sometimes special instructions, like the one under discussion. These are called IQ, Listener, Enigmatic Variations, Mephisto, Azed, Beelzebub and a few others. This type is rare outside the UK, as far as I know.

1 Like

17 Across - Sets, which means Ticket To Ride is missing its E.
18 Down - Side

8 across wingspan

1 Like

Very nice! So 9 Down has to be pill, meaning the A in Wingspan is missing.
And 4 Across is Took To.

1 Like

20 Across is Spirit Islan(D). Which means the final scrambled-up board game is ecmsonead.

2 Likes

I think 2 down and 7 across are the only things not filled in on my grid now.

I’m pretty sure 2 Down is aloud but I can’t figure out what would fit in AL_R for 7 across…

1 Like

I think 2 Down is Aloud and 7 Across is Alar = Alarm -m, but I’m not sure I fully understand the clues.

2 Likes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daminozide explains ‘ALAR’. I can’t understand the ALOUD answer.

3 Likes

I guess you could say you could sully water by clouding it? And then you make the CA (Cloud->Aloud). And “aloud” is “outspoken.”

Yup, just checked, “cloud” and “sully” are listed as synonyms.

2 Likes

nice one. That must be it

1 Like

And the game is codenames, right?

2 Likes

How do they come up with this stuff…

Great work everybody! Being in North America myself I think I’ll send in the answers and try to win the game :smiley:

1 Like

Hooray team effort! Here’s the complete grid.

If you’re in North America and want to enter the contest, you should probably fill in your own version to email in by the deadline.

1 Like

Thank you very much for posting these @Brattyjedi. My wife and I really enjoyed this one.

I had fun with the previous ones too but was too slow to be of any help here!

3 Likes

I entered anyway (I’m in the UK). In the unlikely event that I win I’ll come back here and ask for a North American (sorry to all Canadians for reading it as US earlier) address of some forum member to give it to.

3 Likes