Badges: Are they Important?

I’ve been punting a few names I recognise up from basic to regular if they seemed to be running out of posts.

4 Likes

Kudos to your strategic thinking. I was more… how to say it… desperate??? to find a replacement for the SUSD forums…

3 Likes

Impulsive, I meant impulsive… Definitely.

3 Likes

I literally just earned ‘Regular’ on the old forum :laughing:

4 Likes

Ha. Welcome to the “Just earned Regular on a dying forum” club. Haha.

5 Likes

With all this talk, I had to go back and check. My most recent badge was my second anniversary badge, 20 days ago.

And I got Regular on March 16th, with feels like last week.

3 Likes

My most recent one was “empathetic”, which is very warm and fuzzy for the internet! :blush:

5 Likes

I’d like to say no, they aren’t important and certainly lots seem rather trivial, like “First Emoji”. But some for actual achivements seem reasonable - a change in access or posting rights for example - and I was rather chuffed to be awarded “New User of the Month” recently in the old haunt.

6 Likes

That meant I was ELITE!? I thought it meant I was obsessed! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: Oh, great, and I just made my first badge here the emoji one with this post.

8 Likes

You’ve got your title back too!

2 Likes

I like collecting things, anything, so much I’ve been here like 10 minutes and I already did the @discobot tutorial just to get the badge I knew came at the end. I’m hopeless.

3 Likes

(Sigh)…

2 Likes

@discobot display help

1 Like

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start {name-of-tutorial}

Starts an interactive tutorial just for you, in a personal message. {name-of-tutorial} can be one of: tutorial, advanced tutorial.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Success is determined by those whom prove the impossible, possible. — James Pence

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

Is that from a fortune(6) compatible fortune file?

I now have 10 badges.

Just another 52 to go …

3 Likes

It’s not at all obvious where this comes from. The quotes appear to be from an external service forismatic.com, but the fortunes are somewhere in an internal table (and the thing that chooses them has the number of them hardcoded in).

That said, writing a better dice roller wasn’t super hard.

1 Like

I check the forum every day for a year, purely for the badge, and now I have to do it all over again? Damn.

Seriously though, I remember when I travelled for a year and only went to an internet cafe about once a month. How times have changed. I blame kids and smartphones. Not myself, of course.

6 Likes

Here it is. So the answer to @pillbox’s question is “no”.

1 Like