Any love for foamcore?... Or... how do I store this thing?

In between the very long eldtrich turns I dug out two of this month’s insert additions from my recent Uwe spree.

Nusfjord

And Loyang

4 Likes

With the dark ages–uh season–ahead I think I’ll get back to building a few inserts. Those are the easy Uwe’s though–insert-wise.

Has anyone dared Feast or Arler Erde? I went Folded Space for Hallertau because even that one was overwhelming.

Those Loyang coins with the holes in the middle… that’s the only cardboard game component that I’ve ever left unpunched (and gladly). I appreciated the idea, but after some experimental gentle prodding, and estimating the time involved in trying to carefully extract the centres without damage, the likelihood of some of them tearing regardless, and the utter inconsequentiality of not doing it… it was a pretty easy decision.

Maybe they come out easily in some printings, though?

I think the coins in Tokaido are the same (as far as having holes in the middle), and those punched out pretty easily from what I remember. Maybe they were just manufactured better than the Loyang coins.

1 Like

The coins were no problem at all. Everything just popped straight out.
Hallertau works nicely in a plastic “plano” box with a single baggie for each player’s stuff.

I have done AFFO and Caverna however :grin::grin:. I’ll see if I can snap those later. Caverna was my first ever insert. I made it from folded card, as I was yet to be enlightened regarding the majesty of foam core. Saved space with the thinner material though.

3 Likes

Odin+ exp - making maximum use of existing trays

And old school caverna insert

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this counts as an insert, but the ridiculous box for hey that’s my fish finally made me snap. I’ll cut you, box!

Whose fish is it now, FFG?!

6 Likes

That is crazy. Have you seen the original box?

About as big as the well in that FFG insert.

9 Likes

Mine. It says so right on the box.

9 Likes

I made a thing! After the usual ~6 month gap between acquiring the materials for a project and actually doing said project, I’ve finally made an insert for Pipeline:

It’s not exactly precision engineering, but not bad for a first attempt :grin:

10 Likes

Imprecision may be to your benefit here. Based on the components shown in the expansion rules I think you might be ok to condense things without much or any modification, should you plan to do so.

1 Like

I think I need to play the base game enough that it stops giving me a headache before I try an expansion :grin:

3 Likes

I definitely hear that.

1 Like

Lovely work. My effort at it must be much less efficient as I’ve got little spare space and a cramped mixture of money. I’ll have to dig it out at some point to show people how not to do it!

I’ve been working on Gaia project today. Pretty pleased with this one in terms of planning for use in play:

5 Likes

I’m thinking of doing Gaia Project next, or perhaps 1862 if I’m feeling brave :thinking:

1 Like

I found the GP project pretty enjoyable! You can go as basic as you like, but there’s a ton of room to get fancy and make useful storage that doubles up as trays for use during play, too. I found that aspect particularly satisfying. I went with one of the various plans available on BGG for inspiration and then basically just went off the cuff from there.

Be prepared for a bigger project than most though.

3 Likes

A super simple solution for agricola all creatures great and small, along with some paint pen use on the edge of all the tiles to make setup/cleanup easier and add a little class to proceedings.

8 Likes

I’ve been insert making and down-sizing my boxes again!

AACGaS from above with a shorter box (I’ve kept just enough that the scoring table on the box sides is still intact):

Splendor with a new insert and a MUCH smaller box:

X-acto surgery on NMBR9s insert and a box trimming as well as Cairn chopped down to size including more stock insert trimming:

And Carcassonne in the middle of a savaging:

Edit:
Carcassonne slimline is complete:

8 Likes

I went the other way with my NMBR 9. I got two copies for super cheap and cut the trays so they can stack on top of each other into one box so I can have more players at once.

8 Likes

Love what you did with Splendor there, I was considering making a wooden box for it, but not like that. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like