Any love for foamcore?... Or... how do I store this thing?

Folded Space have announced their latest insert. It’s certainly the most flexible insert I’ve ever seen:

Of course, since it fits most standard size boxes I imagine custom inserts are now a thing of the past.

9 Likes

After my experience setting up Pipeline yesterday, and upon discovering that buying a commercial insert would cost more than the game, I’ve ordered some foam core and a cutting mat. Wish me luck!

12 Likes

IT IS COMPLETE!

God this took an age to print but I’m really happy with how it turned out.

18 Likes

I’m looking at this on my phone in heavy sun and so I thought I saw foam core. Naturally then my thought was: you beautiful, patient maniac! Then I saw it was 3D printed…

…then the images just kept coming, I reminded myself of what game we were dealing with and so naturally my thought was: you beautiful, patient maniac!

4 Likes

Kids were playing well today, so I had time to build this. All of Quest for El Dorado in a box

8 Likes

So RFTG: Alien Artifacts arrived today and by only keeping my foamcore card tower I squeezed the base and expansion in the smaller box.

Ditched the scary player mats, rule books and other bits of my insert but I’m happy

7 Likes

I did the same.

Well, nearly. I have a central divider and two card stacks either side, then the cardboard bar divides the cards from the tokens.

2 Likes

So I bought some of those 10 x 15 cm photo boxes people rave about for my small games.

I did not like the look and it made it harder to find games, so they got returned

2 Likes

It has been ages since I made a new insert.

• some games actually have functioning inserts (Space Base, Red Rising, Xia–almost?)
  • some games wouldn’t be helped that much because of the small amount of materials (Beyond the Sun)
  • some games just haven’t convinced me that they’ll stay
  • and some are just f…ing intimidating, thank you very much Mr “Woodchuck” Rosenberg

But yesterday I tested a game that I think has so much potential and that is surely quicker to set up with a bit of foamcore. So today, I went to work:

It’s not very clean. It’s been a while but this should make setup and teardown much quicker. Having to sort the colored cards can’t be helped. But the rest: much easier. I’ll eventually devide the resource tray by colors but it was lunchtime…

As a bonus there is much less air in the box now.

PS: the cards have a nice linen finish and are non standard sized for my existing sleeves that I use for everything else. They are half a milimeter too long and at least 2mm to narrow.

7 Likes

Small one for Fantasy Realms today. To keep the game and expansion in the main box and separate.

Making it a size of box that feels right.

7 Likes

Another reboxing today, using a fake No Thanks box I got to see what a fake looked like.

Might be the cheapest way to get that sized box now

2 Likes

Tiny towns and both expansions getting the foam treatment. Including dividers in the card stacks so the expansions are all separated.

7 wonders duel and expansions are just getting the finishing touches too. So much foam core mess!

7 Likes

I made a few quick trays for Honey Buzz to help set up :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Now that I have materials again….

This one really needs it because plastic baggies are a terrible option for the little cubes and the VP markers. There is space for more cards and a whole tray of stuff if needed.

10 Likes

The Kickstarter box is great for set up convenience, but it achieves it by being twice the box size. Lovely to see how it can look in a more efficient solution!

2 Likes

I don’t have either of the campaign expansions and must admit I do not see myself buying those. So it was pretty easy to fit everything in here.

The campaigns don’t actually add an awful lot of materials. Again, it takes up space in the box because they made it resettable (each scenario is a box for a few more cards), but take out the boxes and put it all together and it would easily fit. More cards, a few boards, and an extra token.

1 Like

So while Osprey kind of attempted to do a good insert for a card game… they failed.
I played 3 solos of this and had to make some changes.

The original insert has okay-ish storage for the different decks. This game has a lot of different decks as you can see. But the original wouldn‘t fit sleeved cards and this game needs sleeves. (1)

And there are a bunch of counters and stuff for which the original had a small compartment that barely fit everything and you would be sorting the bits every single game? No way.

And yes, I am going to have to build this insert a second time for the other box, there is no way both boxes fit in one with sleeved cards. I also need more sleeves.

And the game is great and the solo mode is good but oh so fiddly (need to play some more before putting it in recent games)

(1) most of my deckbuilding games get sleeves sooner rather than later. The cards get handled a lot and here you have to create a main deck from four different decks that needs to get shuffled and sorted every single game. The cards are good but not good enough for all that shuffling. So sleeves.

4 Likes

Shadows over Normandie has been sorted and Plano’d. It’s a tight squeeze and not entirely ideal (would prefer more slots for tokens), but should greatly enhance setup.

This was an awful lot of work. Heroes of Black Reach was similar, but had fewer small tokens to deal with, making it a bit easier to condense and organize. That said, the lower number of gigantic, oddly-shaped tiles meant a generic solution was possible. Pretty happy with this one.

3 Likes

I just opened up Eldritch horror and discovered that I’d done the insert already! A nice surprise.

This is the base game and every expansion squeezed into two boxes.

6 Likes