Anticipated games

Mistborn Deckbuilding Game | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

Mistborn game designed by John D Clair :hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face:

5 Likes

We wants it now! Mistborn, deckbuilding, John D :drooling_face:
Anyhow looks like the publisher is one fo the crowdfunding ones… we wants it a little less.
How did you find this?

2 Likes

I forgot. It might have been the GenCon preview page in BGG

3 Likes

Saw he had a new card crafting game and assume this might be it then.

Mystic vale retheme?

1 Like

Reading about it sounds like it’s much more dominion than mystic vale.

1 Like

Efka at NPI just posted on bluesky that Kurt Vonnegut’s lost boardgame “GHQ” is being released.

Kurt made a boardgame in 1956, and it’s sat in a library under copyright where even photocopying was forbidden by the lawyers. He wrote his first book, Player Piano, and the critics liked it but it didn’t make enough money, so while writing Cat’s Cradle (amazing classic of SF) he designed a “war troops on an 8x8 board” boardgame and tried to sell it to gaming companies. They didn’t buy at the time, but it’s getting an official edition now.

Includes a 24-page booklet with Kurt’s original design notes. In his letter to an Ohio game company Kurt said “I have played the game about a thousand times, and it works like a dollar watch”. (ie: smooth like good clockwork).

4 Likes

As opposed to 2024 “works like a dollar watch”: there’s a nasty twang noise and the gold has rubbed off.

5 Likes

Theyre gonna reprint Witness

3 Likes

With or without the typos?

3 Likes

Depends with Pegasusspiele if theyre gonna put some effort to it

2 Likes

I hope it still requires an in-depth understanding of French geography. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Mixed feelings. Witness is a good idea but let down by cases that require esoteric knowledge by all 4 players or they’re unsolvable. So a version that’s been run by a (better) editor could be brilliant. However, the Belgian comic art was a big part of the charm for me, so… meh.

3 Likes

I wonder whether I would have been inspired to pick it up if it had had another art style. I’ve played it just once (I think we did 2-3 of the missions), and it wasn’t a hit, so we stopped there; but It’s a game I’m not prepared to let go of because it’s so unique and because I really like the art (perhaps I should just find the comic instead!?).

I either never had the right group to play it with, or else I just don’t know whether I’ve ever had the right group to play it with. Whispering is a slightly intimate thing, especially if you don’t know the other players well, and so I wouldn’t consider suggesting this to most people. That as much as anything is why my copy has barely been played.

1 Like

The comic (The Adventures of Blake & Mortimer) is one of my favourites from my childhood. The older ones (dating back to the War) have aged with varying degrees of grace, but the newer ones, by various artists and writers following original author Edgar P. Jacobs’ death have, for the most part, been really good. Reading the new one and discussing it with my dad is always something I look forward to during my Holidays visits.

Disclaimer: The above is, of course, just my opinion. YMMV and all that.

4 Likes

The weird thing is, the art isn’t even that integral to the game. It has little to no bearing on the books itself… but this art style does look super generic and doesn’t pull me in. Definitely wouldn’t buy if I didn’t know the game.

This sort of escape room art is really dreary to me and makes the game look like a slog. I have 3 Exit games I’ve never opened because they look like a real drag. I need to play them just to free up space, and even phrasing it like that shows my contempt.

2 Likes

I stumbled across this the other day, and was intrigued enough to subscribe to it on BGG:

It’s a very lightweight solo/co-op war-game co-designed by the prolific David Thompson and “Beyond Solitaire”'s Liz Davidson.

Much like Resist! (and the Witchcraft! follow-up), also co-designed by Thompson, this sounds like a mix of tactical gameplay and pushing your luck whilst continually being forced into tough decisions and sacrifices for the greater good. The shuffled card decks of those games are replaced here by drawing tokens from a bag, to be played on an actual board, but my brief impression is that it might nevertheless feel a bit similar to those games.

(Thompson has a slew of other solo war-game designs, none of which I’ve played, so there may well be closer matches amongst them. I gather that Davidson has more games in the pipeline but that this will be her first published design, so I have no insights into similarities with her other projects.)

5 Likes

Power Grid: Outpost | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

New game from Friesse

4 Likes

Is this a game with Power Grid slapped on for name recognition? Or a true Power Grid style game, only time (and a rulebook) will tell.

Couple of new PG maps, though!

2 Likes

From the description it says it’s a way to honour a game called outpost more explicitly as that was the game that inspired power grid.