Anticipated games

Take Tricks to Make Pies, Collect Mushrooms, Go on Pilgrimages, and More | BoardGameGeek News | BoardGameGeek

More trick taking/shedding games. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Hang on, I’m busy trying to get Boast or Nothing!

Slow down.

3 Likes

Can you ping me every time a trick taker/ climber comes up please? You’re much more plugged in than I am

6 Likes

Perhaps we could have a dedicated new or interesting trick-takers thread, since they seem really popular right now? (I’m asking, rather than creating, because I’m a better consumer than producer. :stuck_out_tongue:)

5 Likes

The Daily Trickster - literally any news about trick taking and shedding/climbing games - Boardgames - tekeli.li forums, including unofficial SU&SD discussion

Created the thread for any news we find and all sorts of discussion.

8 Likes

Altay: Dawn of Civilization | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

I saw this randomly. Paolo Mori co-design with a peculiar art style.

1 Like

The designer of Tetrarchia has a design journal about the work-in-progress sequel-of-sorts to that game:

I played quite a lot of solo Tetrarchia around the end of last year, and it’s got a lot going for it, but some undeniable flaws as well; so I’m curious to see where the designer takes things from here.

4 Likes

Well that got rid of my main obstacle in purchasing Bohnanza, but flowers?

4 Likes

What you don’t like silly beans? Banause :wink:

I wonder whether Beth Sobel ever gets tired of painting flora :‍)

4 Likes

Or is it ‘If the cheques keep coming in, I’m drawing flowers’ now?

1 Like

maybe she’s working on becoming a verb “can you please sobelize this game?”

3 Likes

“Can you paint flowers?”
“Only if they’re Dahlias!”

3 Likes

Oh 'eck. That price tag!

4 Likes

Oof. I’ll skip then

2 Likes

I’ve never played Great Western Trail, but Great Western Trail: New Zealand is making an appearance at Wellycon in a few weeks, and I signed myself up to the tournament to give it a whirl (and theoretically have a chance of winning a copy, but that’s not likely!). So I guess that counts for this thread, even though I know almost nothing about it.

I guess they’re delivering to Wellington the first copies of a game about delivering things to Wellington :‍)

7 Likes

Asmadi just sent me an email that there will be a new “everything” edition of Innovation: Innovation Ultimate oO…

Innovation: Ultimate is a new everything-box set of Innovation, including lots of new content (Age 11!) for the base game and our existing expansions, plus a brand new expansion called The Unseen.

Not that my partner will ever play this with me again. But I do know other people :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Video about the game here @yashima

3 Likes

I was not impressed with GWT the first time around, but I would definitely give a NZ version a go…

I haven’t heard anything much about the Argentinian version, anybody has tried it here?

3 Likes

I have original GWT (not second edition - true original) and GWT Argentina. They are different enough and I like GWT enough that I’m happy to have both and will get New Zealand. You really only need one if you only sort of like the game or don’t have the luxury of a big game room with lots of storage space (even I’m running out!).

Argentina adds a couple new mechanics (to simplify: grain as a new currency with ways to get it and spend it and bandits you can fight with ways to get fighting power). In some ways these just add new complexity for the sake of complexity (shipping cows to market is a multi step process over different rounds and phases now) but in some ways they try to fix the only real problem I have with the original. In the original there are supposedly lots of different ways to play the game (cows, buildings, trains) but in reality you need mostly cows with a little of both the other two, maybe a medium amount of one of them, but a heavy focus on trains or buildings will almost never win. Argentina is trying to make it so alternate strategies than cows can be viable. I haven’t played enough to decide if I think that’s really true or if the extra faff is worth it.

6 Likes