Anticipated games

BGG has it as bigger in volume than both Oath and Wonderland’s War. Bloody hell at the size of Lancaster Big Box and Seal Team Flix though!

(I also think the Heat box is very big for what it is)

Edit: Apparently the deluxe edition of Wonderland’s War is enormous.

3 Likes

That 10.5cm height is definitely large – I only have a few boxes >= that height. The other dimensions are rather common, but most of those are around 7cm high in my experience. But yeah, big boxes for small games are always annoying.

3 Likes

As someone who doesn’t really play big, mini-stuffed games, Dogs of War is the second largest game I own (Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid is number 1).

Everything else that comes close (Inis, Empires of the Void II, etc) is suitably long to justify being the centrepiece of a games night and crowding out other stuff. And even then, they’re slim enough that I can fit another mid-weight game in my bag.

4 Likes

That one is an unreasonable size for the weight and component-count of the game.

Like, it’s big because somebody decided “Hey, we should make a really big game… not, like, popular, but just takes up as much space as it can.”

I have a few games that are larger (Gloomhaven, natch, but also Oathsworn is ridiculously oversized, and the thoroughly mediocre GKR: Heavy Hitters which is so big for what is basically a simple dice-rolling hand management game… could’ve been 1/4 the size and still have been beautiful), but they don’t quite upset me the way that Power Rangers does.

I’m also glad I thought the game was middling. Not bad, pretty good, but gosh there are a billion expansions and they’re all staggeringly expensive.

2 Likes

Yeh, it could very easily just be a card game with a few dice. It doesn’t even really need a board. Or at the very least get rid of the miniatures for individual minions and just have the fancy boss minis.

I have the base game and 3 expansions and I got them all as cheap damaged copies, so it cost me about half what it should do, and that was still fairly expensive. I’ve only managed to play it once (and that was a friend’s copy that led me to buying my own).

1 Like

Batman: Gotham City Chronicles falls into this category. The base game is two large coffin boxes, one for the hero miniatures and one for the villains. I can get wanting everything to be uniform, this having minis for everything, but after the fact, I do wish the generic baddies (and cops, drones, civilians, etc.) had just been standees to let the heroes and big name villains pop.

That said, I have only had it to the table a few times, all but one soloing both sides, because it is such a beast to set up.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the supposed expansion for Flamme Rouge - the Grand Tour - is ever happening or is it a figment of imagination?

1 Like

It has a store page at Lautapelit but no date announced: Flamme Rouge - Grand Tour (ENG) | Lautapelit.fi

Yeah but apparently thats been there for a couple of years! Or so I read.

It’s my understanding it’s “right around the corner”. I can’t recall where (on BGG) I caught it, but there was some indication that it will be hitting in 2023… at least in the EU.

They’ve been saying “real soon now” for A Whlie, with no substantive announcements. Last year there was tallk of going Kickstarter-only. I suspect at this point interest in the game has fallen off enough that it couldn’t justify a conventional print run.

Haha the New Frontiers expansion has been similarly “just round the corner” for years now. :pensive::cry:

(And will the final Glorantha expansion ever see the light of day?? Was going to late pledge it last minute, but looks like the pledge manager will be open for a while yet. Maybe it’ll be released in 2026?)

3 Likes

Details of the next RFTG expansion. Keys takeaways (for me)

• Can played without Xenos Invasion
  • VPs are seeded at 15 per player
  • Tableaus are 15 cards instead of 12
  • When combined this goes out the window

The counterstrike game begins as a Xeno invasion which, once the Xenos are repulsed, turns the tables as the galactic empires then strike back at the Xeno home systems across the starry rift frontier and border zone.
In this version, tableau size no longer ends the game: the counterstrike game continues until either an economic victory (VP chips in the pool of 30 VPs/player run out) or a military victory over the Xenos occurs. This is the epic conquest version of Race for the Galaxy ; final tableau sizes of 25 cards are not uncommon. Enjoy!

Yowser…

3 Likes

Yeah. Saw that thread. Not sure if I am keen, but I won’t say no until I tried it. That Xeno game we had was very fun! I need more Xeno Invasions play, but I think that’s the kind of added fluff that interest me the most from all the arcs

3 Likes

If they fixed the rigid player count (will only play at 5) then I’m in.

5 Likes

I do want a good tea-themed game. (I know there are a bunch around, but I’ve never played any.)

Alubari is pretty good. It’s Snowdonia with a rose-tinted-English-colonisation-of-India setting. If you’ve played Snowdonia and liked it, this is the tea game for you; albeit… it’s very tangentially tea-related.

I own Chai, but have never played it as a result of the publisher really rubbing me the wrong way… I really should give it a shot since I actually received the product, outside of any of my complaints of Steeped Games.

I’ve heard good things about Formosa Tea, but never bothered to look into it myself. Maybe I should?

If, by chance, you actually meant coffee, the superior beverage, then that’s a different bailywick entirely.

6 Likes

Oh it’s a Friday alright.

7 Likes

I chose to take the high road and let it slide, on the basis that @pillbox was probably off his face on coffee at the time, and simply didn’t know what he was saying.

5 Likes

Just as well, actually. I don’t know if there’s a coffee game I can actually recommend. I’ve heard good things about the (solo only) Coffee Roaster. I’m eager to check out Coffee Traders but I’m not sure when I’m going to get 3 people around my table interested in a heavy-euro game. I own a copy of VivaJava: The Coffee Game, but it sort of has the same problem as the potential Coffee Traders; it is 3+ only, rather than 3+ recommended, and probably is a bit too long for what it is.

4 Likes