2023 Board game challenges

New year new board game challenges!

This year I’m going to attempt (once again) to play all of our unplayed games. Hopefully my husband won’t make it difficult again by buying loads of new games at UKGE…

At the moment the list is:

I’ve also got a list of games that I want to make an effort to play at least once. Some of them are tricky to get to the table, and some I just want to see if I like them better this time!

1 Antiquity
2 Escape Plan
3 Yokohama
4 Troyes
5 Tzolk’in: The Mayan Calendar
6 Gaia Project
7 Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space
8 Scythe
9 Tiny Epic Dinosaurs
10 Oath: Chronicles of Empire and Exile
11 Food Chain Magnate
12 The Great Zimbabwe
13 Teotihuacan: City of Gods
14 The Taverns of Tiefenthal
15 Root
16 SHASN
17 Burano
18 Sidereal Confluence:
19 Mottainai
20 On Mars
21 Altiplano
22 New York 1901
23 Quadropolis
24 Bosk
25 Fields of Green
26 Awkward Guests
27 Bärenpark
28 Forks
29 Import / Export: Definitive Edition
30 Caverna: The Cave Farmers
31 TOKYO METRO
32 Pipeline

7 Likes

Leonie Schwalb is doing the 52 game challenge again so I’ll have a go at that. And I’ll probably do my usual “informal” 10×10 rather than picking specific games in advance.

My Eddington number (H-factor) for games is at 21, and 23 is in sight. Anyone fancy a couple of games of Mysterium?

The one game in my collection that I have not played* is Assembly. And it’s soloable. So I’d like to get to that.

* (With a lot of caveats. Expansions don’t count. Have never played my own copy doesn’t count if I’ve played someone else’s. Maybe I’ll try for some slimming down this year!)

8 Likes

10x5 Challenge

• Bus
  • Chicago Express
  • Cthulhu Wars
  • Food Chain Magnate (we have a small following in the club now!)
  • Glory to Rome
  • The Great Zimbabwe
  • Indonesia
  • Innovation
  • Mottainai
  • The Estates

18xx Wave - 5x10

• 18USA

Go 365 - Go x 365, apps vs AI allowed

Race for the Hundred Galaxies - RFTG x 100, apps vs AI allowed

Through the Twenty Ages - TTA x 20

5 Likes

We’ll definitely play Yokohama, TGZ and Troyes with you at Aire Con

3 Likes

Is Mysterium PBFable?

2 Likes

I will play Chicago Express with you on BGA (if we can get real time organised) or at Tekeli and/ or Aire Con.

And always up for Innovation and RFTG on BGA.

3 Likes

That’s a thought. It’s been done a bit on BGG and there’s a good set of images available. (I’m working on Xia, but because it’s DLC on Tabletop Simulator I’m going to have to scan a few hundred cards.)

2 Likes

Will play these. Flying Colours was a particular one I want to play (but never read the rules tho :frowning: )

3 Likes

Love all of those challenges.

3 Likes

My list of 18 unplayed games of shame is probably a tad too much for a year (who knows) but I would definitely will want to play at least a campaign game (ISS Vanguard or Sleeping Gods would be nice) and these are a priority:

• Blood Rage
  • Iwari: Deluxe Ed.
  • Merchants & Marauders (for the second consecutive year)
  • Mind MGMT (I already have a few people interested in the game group, so I will learn it next week)
  • Taverns of Tiefenthal
  • Tiny Epic Dungeons

Games that I want to play more this year:

• Root (with any expansion)
  • Brass
  • Flamecraft
  • Rallyman GT
6 Likes

I’ll happily give you or anyone else an async play on BGA…

4 Likes

I must admit async games are my least favourite option to run games, but thanks for the offer

3 Likes
  • I’ll want to try the 52 games challenge as well (I got quite far on this year’s I have the file somewhere with the list I made I should check and post it somewhere).
  • I am definitely going for an easy 10x10 solo challenge (whatever comes up) & hoping for another one for multiplayer…
  • I am moving my collection to the house sometime mid-2023 so my challenge will be finding a nice new setup/storage for my collection and then probably doing another pruning (I’ll post pictures)
  • I would like to reduce my unplayed list … but there are some difficult hold outs.
    • The game I most want to play that I have played but “not my copy” is Blood on the Clocktower. So maybe that is my goal for the year: to host a game of that at the house :slight_smile:
6 Likes

Might as well add my Board Gaming Goals for next year. I now have 70(?) mid- to heavy-weight games and I will reduce this further to 40 as was the goal back in 2022.

I don’t know how to curate my light and filler games. I have more tolerance as they come in small boxes mostly.

6 Likes

My goal for the coming year is to reduce my collection. I reckon I could comfortably lose at least 100 games. I already have a list (which is titled Games to Sell 2021) which has 57 games on it. And maybe play some stuff on the unplayed list, I have 85 games there.

5 Likes

I hope to buy no games but I’ll settle for single figures again. As I now view euros as ephemeral I presume rotation will be the source of most purchases. My current collection plus preorders is 100 games, I’ll not exceed 100 so it’s now one in, one out.

My main aim will be unplayed’s down to 0. I currently have 7 unplayed with 4 more due this year. So from 11 to 0 will be the aim. The downside is this includes 5 current and 2 awaiting 18xx so it may be tight. I might just make Feb and March my play the unplayed’s months to get it out the way, if @lalunaverde would be up for helping that would be marvellous.

9 Likes

I’ve got one challenge this year

Play more games

That’s it. I think I managed four game nights last year, plus two games of Twilight Imperium on TTS one game of Sidereal Confluence and SHUX.

I’m going to try to get back to playing more regularly as well as potentially playing/running some RPGs along with doing stuff like Thousand Year Old Vampire --which I should be starting this week with my wife.

13 Likes

I love the 10x10 challenges, although I never come anywhere near finishing one. It gives me something to strive towards, and helps me decide which games I really, really want to play given the opportunity.

So, without further ado:

Descent 3rd Edition
Star Wars Legion
Heat
D&D the TTRPG
Xia, Legends of a Drift System
Star Wars Outer Rim
My City
Oathsworn
Twilight Imperium 4th Edition
War of the Ring

And my current list of unplayed games (updated as I buy more and/or remember more I haven’t played):

Vindication, Eclipse 2nd Dawn for the Galaxy, Furnace, Renature, Newspeak, Stick 'Em, String Railways, Sidereal Confluence (plus expansion), The Undercity, Tyrants of the Underdark, New Salem, Dune Conquest

I think that’s it for now… I’m sure I’m forgetting at least a few, but that’s a solid starting point at least.

EDIT: Just added the last few games I own but haven’t played.

9 Likes

I’m going for my first 10x10 this year:

Maquis
Root
Quest for El Dorado
Everdell
Lords of Vegas
Dune Imperium
Pax Pamir
JOTL
Spirit Island
Barenpark

I tried to decide on a decent mix. On top of that I just want to get some unplayed games to the table (Hansa Toot, Brian Boru, John Company, King’s Dilemma). I’m going to try not to buy anything, will likely fail, but am really going to do my best to trade for one of the Undaunted series, Kemet, and Beyond the Sun.

I should also throw imposing a sense of time upon my group in there too.

11 Likes

Aiming to complete three challenges this year.

? X ? = 100 Challenge

Is it a 10x10 challenge? Is it a 6.67 x 15 challenge? (Let’s hope not, as those 0.67s would be frustrating.) Is it a 20 x 5 challenge? It remains to be seen, but the challenge is to complete 100 plays of these games:

1. A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)
  2. Alchemists
  3. Ashes Reborn: Rise of the Phoenixborn
  4. Baseball Highlights: 2045
  5. Biblios
  6. Crave
  7. Dune: Imperium
  8. Flamecraft
  9. Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
  10. Great Western Trail
  11. Hadrian’s Wall
  12. Kashgar: Merchants of the Silk Road
  13. Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
  14. Merchants of the Dark Road
  15. MicroMacro: Crime City
  16. Radlands
  17. Res Arcana (Thanks again :santa: !)
  18. Terraforming Mars
  19. The Isle of Cats
  20. Wingspan

Keyforge 4 x 25 Challenge

Unsurprisingly, the more I play a KeyForge deck, the better I get at playing it. So, upping the ante on last year’s ten plays per deck to twenty-five. And celebrating the imminent return of House Mars by starting off with Dmitrii, a double Hypnobeam, double Collector Worm deck.

No. Set Deck
01 Age of Ascension Unruly “The Wiper” Dmitrii
02 TBC Deck TBC
03 TBC Deck TBC
04 TBC Deck TBC

Opportunity 50 x 2

Was good to get through 41 unplayed games last year, but it felt a shame to take the time to learn some of them for only one play (e.g. Agricola, A Game of Thrones: The Card Game). Therefore, this year, will aim to play 50 shelf of opportunity games at least twice each.

Good luck with your challenges everyone!

8 Likes