2022 10 x 10 style challenges

I am debating if I should have a challenge this year. The club challenge I had was a failure big time…

I think I am between a 10 x 10 and a 20 x 5. Considering also having my unplayed games on the shelf played at least once:

Shelf of shame:

Android
Badlands Wolves
Blood Rage
Codenames
The Crew: Quest for Planet Nine
Decrypto
D&D: The Legend of Drizzt Do’Urden
Empires of the Void II
GOT 2nd Ed
High Society
Merchants & Marauders
Rex: Final Days of an Empire
Taverns of Tiefenthal
Tiny Epic Pirates

There are some monsters there (GOT and Rex I am looking at you) that I got on second hand, and two that have been unplayed for over a year (Empires II and M&M), but hopefully in the next 12 months some will go.

I will think about what other challenge I might set myself.

9 Likes

I’m going with something bespoke, but nevertheless hope it’s ok to dump it here since I want this thing to keep me in line like everyone else!

1. Feudum: I don’t really have a hard number on this one, but it plays quickly enough at 2 that I think a half-dozen is a good softball. My partner is interested in exploring this more with me, but she (quite understandably) doesn’t want to relearn it every time we feel like bringing it to the table. More definitively, the goal here is to get her comfortable enough with the systems to introduce The Queen’s Army automa to jazz up our lonely empires and hopefully ease the burden of the guilds at 2P.

2. Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps: This is mostly a painting goal, as I got all of my Xenos and the Queen painted up in the summer, and then got distracted with other projects (since abandoned). My civilians and marines (and power loader!) have long since been assembled and primed, so there’s no excuse for me to avoid painting through the winter. The secondary goal is, of course, the primary reason for the paint in the first place: it’s time to get this played! This is the only game on my shelf of shame; that’s definitely not for a lack of enthusiasm, and absolutely a by-product of my procrastination.

3. Shadows of Brimstone: Complete a “full career” with at least two heroes. Again this is a bit soft, but I want to really dig into a linked solo run using the campaign system for this game. I’ll consider myself successful if I get a meaty run before opting to make the next KO a permanent thing, or I’ll push till I bump to level 5 and retire. It seems like a good stopping point by many accounts, and based on the scaling past level 4, I have a hunch that’s not a bad assessment for my tastes.
    3a) This will be my ongoing paint project once Aliens is complete (more of a note than a goal at this point).

This feels good enough. I had thought about putting Maracaibo up for a full campaign run, but it’s been a pretty great couple’s game for us and I don’t want to introduce any “pressure” into it. Similarly for Mind MGMT and its SHIFT system, I’m eager to explore all of those modules, but more concerned with letting our rivalry grow at our own pace.

Good luck all!

[EDIT] 4) HeroQuest: Discovered post-purchase there is an app for this freaking thing? That’s an easy add. I’ll aim to beat the campaign.

7 Likes

Alright. Let’s get it started…

I am going to try and do something unusual for me: I am going to pick just 10 games. Just 10. Not categories, not “games similar enough”… 10 games, and I’m going to try and stick with it.

Twilight Imperium IV: 0 (0)
Dune Conquest: 0 (0)
Sleeping Gods: 0 (0)
Xia Legends of a Drift System: 0 (0)
Destinies: 0 (0)
Legacy of Dragonholt: 0 (0)
Beyond the Sun: 0 (0)
Battletech: 0 (0)
Star Wars Legion: 0 (0)
Infinity Defiance: 0 (0)

My current list of games I own but haven’t played:

Beyond the Sun, Tyrants of the Underdark, The Undercity, Dune Conquest, Sidereal Confluence, Descent 3rd Ed, Twilight Imperium IV Prophecy of Kings, New Salem, Newspeak, Eclipse 2nd Dawn, Dark Souls Card Game

I think that’s it, actually… I mean, it’s a longer list than I would like, but honestly that’s only a few gaming nights worth of material. Now, if I could just see some of my friends without the eminent fear of making them all sick hanging overhead…

7 Likes

For 2022, I’m going to do a KeyForge 10x10 and have another go at getting through some unplayed games from my collection.

It will be good to get to know ten new KeyForge decks, which generally takes at least 10 plays, so that works nicely. If I count online TCO plays this time, it should be a bit more achievable than the 2021 challenge, leaving more time for trying new games and playing other favourites (which were somewhat neglected last year while focusing on the challenge).

Part 1: KeyForge 10x10

No. Set Deck
01 Call of the Archons Ms. J. Carmenbo
02 Call of the Archons Random sealed deck TBC
03 Age of Ascension Nevehelper of the Pirate’s Treehouse
04 Age of Ascension Random sealed deck TBC
05 Worlds Collide Svensdottir of Marsborea
06 Worlds Collide Random sealed deck TBC
07 Mass Mutation Zierha Ecimius, the Concrete and Inspired
08 Mass Mutation Random sealed deck TBC
09 Dark Tidings Tallerpoet the “Mason”
10 Dark Tidings Random sealed deck TBC

Part 2: Play 50 Games from the Shelf Shelves of Opportunity

No. Game No. Game No. Game
1 6 nimmit! 26 Fresco 51 Mr. Jack in New York
2 7 Wonders Duel 27 Friday 52 Mykeranos
3 A Game of Thrones Catan: Brotherhood of the Watch 28 Fury of Dracula 53 Mystery Rummy: Escape from Alcatraz
4 A Game of Thrones: The Card Game 29 Galaxy Trucker 54 Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde
5 Aborteum 30 Ghost Stories 55 On Tour
6 Agricola 31 Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion 56 Pandemic Iberia
7 Android: Infiltration 32 Great Western Trail 57 Railraod Ink Challenge: Lush Green Edition
8 Ashes Reborn: Rise of the Phoenixborn 33 Hand of Fate: Origins 58 The Resistance
9 Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game 34 The Island of El Dorado 59 The Resistance: Avalon
10 Betrayal at House on the Hill 35 Cheating Moth 60 Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
11 Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig 36 Keyflower 61 The Search for Planet X
12 Beyond Baker Street 37 Klunker 62 Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
13 The Castles of Mad King Ludwig 38 Last Night on Earth 63 Skull
14 Champions of Midgard 39 Le Havre 64 Spyfall
15 Chez Chthulu 40 Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game 65 Steam Park
16 Custom Heroes 41 The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game 66 Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilisation
17 Dead of Winter: The Long Night 42 The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire 67 Tiny Epic Defenders
18 Decrypto 43 Masque of the Red Death 68 Tiny Epic Kingdoms
19 Elder Sign 44 Merchants of the Dark Road 69 Tomb Trader
20 Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space 45 Merkator 70 Valletta
21 Fiasco 46 Mice & Mystics 71 Vast: The Crystal Caverns
22 Finca 47 MicroMacro: Crime City 72 Wits & Wagers
23 Firefly: Into the Black 48 Michael Strogoff 73 X-Wing Minatures: The Force Awakens
24 Flash Point: Fire Rescue 49 Monarch
25 Formula D 50 Mr. Jack

Good luck with your 2022 challenges everyone!

7 Likes

I foolishly posted in the 2021 thread as I’m behind the times, however I’m making some surprisingly quick progress after 2 weeks. A couple more off the unplayed shelf to sell still so that target will drop a touch.

Gaming streak is now up to 119 days. It turns out once you start it’s hard to justify stopping!

The new-to-me ones so far have been excellent (with the exception of STEM!)

4 Likes

One month down and it’s looking good for the year. Crazy busy the first two weeks so less played, but still did a huge chunk of the goals and kept my streak going. How you lot getting on?

4 Likes

Well, it is February already here (NZ always ahead of the times… if just by a few hours)

I managed to play Codenames 4 times on New Year’s Eve, but Omicron and red light all across the country has really dried out my gaming on the second half of January, and soloing has been taken over by the videogame version of Gloomhaven, which takes away my least favourite part of the game, the setting up.

Also, I have to add Tiny Epic Galaxies to the list of shame.

3 Likes

I have played a lot of games this month, by my humble standards. All remote, since Omicron is running rampant through Southern Ontario.

I’m going to try and see if I can convince my partner to try out Beyond the Sun with me soon, and I’d like to give Destinies another stab. Although we’ll probably finish Sleeping Gods first… we came very close, and then work picked up for both of us and we haven’t gone back to it yet.

Also, strictly speaking, I started a game of TI4, but I figure if I record the point I start PBF games, rather than when I finish them, it will make a bit more sense? I guess as long as I don’t double-dip it doesn’t really matter.

One down, 10 to go.

3 Likes

I still need to officially post a challenge yet!

3 Likes

I’m just about on track, but only because Three Sisters arrived at an opportune moment:

• Three Sisters 5/5
  • Pipeline 1/5
  • Terraforming Mars 1/5
  • Cryptid 1/5
  • Rallyman GT 2/5
  • Antiquity 0/5
  • Fort 0/5
  • Gaia Project 0/5
  • Hansa Teutonica 0/5
  • The Great Zimbabwe 0/5
  • Import/Export 0/5
  • John Company 0/5
  • Pax Pamir 0/5
  • Oath 0/5
  • So, You’ve Been Eaten 0/5
  • Tokyo Metro 0/5
  • Troyes 0/5
  • Sprawlopolis 0/5
  • Yokohama 0/5
  • Tussie Mussie 0/5
3 Likes

Okay, challenge created, and it’s a doozy, and unlikely to be completed.

10 x Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
10 x Spirit Island
10 x Marvel Champions
10 x Unmatched
5 x Arkham Horror the card game
5 x Tyrants of the Underdark
5 x High Society
5 x Night of the Ninja
5 x Hansa Teutonica
5 x Star Wars: Imperial Assault
5 x Lost Ruins of Arnak
5 x The Search for Planet X
1 x Unfathomable
1 x Troyes
1 x Kemet
1 x Inis
1 x Five Tribes
1 x Dungeon Petz
1 x Lowlands
1 x Downforce
1 x Raccoon Tycoon
1 x Star Wars: Outer Rim
1 x Exit: the Secret Lab
1 x Star Wars: Unlock
1 x World Monuments
1 x Tigris and Euphrates
1 x Princes of Florence
1 x Lawyer Up
1 x A War of Whispers
1 x Race for the Galaxy
1 x Mr. Jack
1 x Lost Cities

For a grand total of 100 plays. Most of the higher count games are going to be solo plays, but most everything else requires other people, or I feel will be more enjoyable with others. Many of the x1’s would be first time plays, in an effort to reduce my shelf of shame/opportunity, though there will still be more even if all of these do get played, so even though they are not part of the challenge, I hope to get more of them played as well.

5 Likes

END OF JANUARY

10x10

Game Plays
El Grande 0
Tigris & Euphrates 1
Stephenson’s Rocket 0
Inis 0
Senators 0
The Great Zimbabwe 1
Calimala 1
1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties 2
1828 1
1860: Railways of the Isle of Wight 1

20 New to Me

Game Played?
Wallenstein 2nd ed No
Traders of Genoa No
Warpgate No
Magnate: First City Yes
Argent: the Consortium No
Pax Renaissance No
Vinhos Deluxe No
Ortus Regni No
Kaivai No
Versailles 1919 No
In the Shadow of the Emperor No
Senji No
Import/Export No
Path of Light & Shadow No
Brick & Mortar No
Amyitis No
Ys No
Qin No
Dual Gauge No
Harzbahn 1873 No
4 Likes

Nothing very impressive yet: 16 × 1, 6 × 2, 2 × 3.

Game Plays
Rallyman: GT 3
VOLT 3
Lemminge 2
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 2
Rallyman 2
Terminator: Dark Fate – The Card Game 2

and apart from the last one more of those will probably roll in without my making any great effort. (Rallyman and GT for the ISGOYTRA competitions, Lemminge and VOLT on yucata, PanLeg with my regular partner for it.)

3 Likes

January

Good effort for January everyone!

No. Set Deck Plays Total Status
01 Call of the Archons Ms. J. Carmenbo - [0/10] :doughnut:
02 Call of the Archons The Alchemist that Reviles Tempation 4 [4/10]
03 Age of Ascension Nevehelper of the Pirate’s Treehouse - [0/10] :doughnut:
04 Age of Ascension Random sealed deck TBC - [0/10] :doughnut:
05 Worlds Collide Svensdottir of Marsborea - [0/10] :doughnut:
06 Worlds Collide Random sealed deck TBC - [0/10] :doughnut:
07 Mass Mutation Zierha Ecimius, the Concrete and Inspired 13 [13/10] :white_check_mark:
08 Mass Mutation Random sealed deck TBC - [0/10] :doughnut:
09 Dark Tidings Tallerpoet the “Mason” - [0/10] :doughnut:
10 Dark Tidings Random sealed deck TBC - [0/10] :doughnut:

Opening the CotA sealed deck revealed…

Anyone have a definition for “Tempation”?

Part 2: Opportunity 50

Month Plays Progress Games
January 2 [2/50] On Tour, Monarch

Happy with the start to the year, although need to make sure Part 2 doesn’t get too behind, given that’s the bigger challenge.

On Tour was a hit, with multiple plays for the month. It’s harder than it looks, so was a bit more tense than Welcome to… or Railroad Ink.

Have a fun-filled February!

3 Likes

I believe it’s French for “typographical error”.

4 Likes

End of February update:

10 x Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
10 x Spirit Island - 1 [1]
10 x Marvel Champions - 4 [4]
10 x Unmatched
5 x Arkham Horror the card game - 2 [2]
5 x Tyrants of the Underdark
5 x High Society
5 x Night of the Ninja
5 x Hansa Teutonica
5 x Star Wars: Imperial Assault
5 x Lost Ruins of Arnak
5 x The Search for Planet X
1 x Unfathomable
1 x Troyes
1 x Kemet
1 x Inis
1 x Five Tribes
1 x Dungeon Petz
1 x Lowlands
1 x Downforce
[X] 1 x Raccoon Tycoon - 1 [1]
1 x Star Wars: Outer Rim
1 x Exit: the Secret Lab
1 x Star Wars: Unlock
1 x World Monuments
1 x Tigris and Euphrates
1 x Princes of Florence
1 x Lawyer Up
1 x A War of Whispers
1 x Race for the Galaxy
1 x Mr. Jack
[X] 1 x Lost Cities - 1+ [1]

So, two of my 20 x 1 plays are finished, just 18 more to go there. Making good progress on Marvel Champions and Arkham Horror so far. Lots to go yet, though I do have three plays in for this month already.

3 Likes

There’s an update of my progress, with two additions, Rallyman GT, and Iwari. For D&D The Legend of Drizzt Do’Urden I am using the figures in our RPG sessions, so 50% there?? You be the judge of that…

4 Likes

A few more playthroughs. My partner and I finished our Sleeping Gods campaign, which was nice! The ending was a tiny bit disappointing, but overall a strong game, and I’m excited to try it again (at some point) with the expansion stuff included.

Other than that, we played 4 mysteries from MicroMacro: Crime City: Full House, which continues to be a joy. Oh, and a great game of War of the Ring with a buddy, which was spectacular, and a quick game of Blitzkrieg afterwards. That was lovely.

Gosh I miss people sometimes.

Nothing off this list yet. Still.

Someday.

3 Likes

END OF FEB

10x10

Game Plays
El Grande 0
Tigris & Euphrates 2
Stephenson’s Rocket 1
Railways of the World 3
Senators 0
The Great Zimbabwe 2
Calimala 1
1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties 3
1828 2
1860: Railways of the Isle of Wight 1
Game Plays
Inis 0

20 New to Me

Game Played?
Wallenstein 2nd ed No
Traders of Genoa No
Warpgate No
Magnate: First City Yes
Argent: the Consortium No
Pax Renaissance Yes
Vinhos Deluxe No
Ortus Regni No
Kaivai No
Versailles 1919 No
In the Shadow of the Emperor No
Senji No
Import/Export No
Path of Light & Shadow No
Brick & Mortar No
Amyitis No
Ys No
Qin Yes
Dual Gauge No
Harzbahn 1873 Yes

I took down Inis and put Railways of the World instead. I want to play this one regularly this year

3 Likes

February

No. Set Deck Plays Total Status
01 Call of the Archons Ms. J. Carmenbo - [0/10] :doughnut:
02 Call of the Archons The Alchemist that Reviles Tempation 6 [10/10] :white_check_mark:
03 Age of Ascension Nevehelper of the Pirate’s Treehouse 8 [8/10]
04 Age of Ascension Random sealed deck TBC - [0/10] :doughnut:
05 Worlds Collide Svensdottir of Marsborea - [0/10] :doughnut:
06 Worlds Collide Random sealed deck TBC - [0/10] :doughnut:
07 Mass Mutation Zierha Ecimius, the Concrete and Inspired - [13/10] :white_check_mark:
08 Mass Mutation Random sealed deck TBC - [0/10] :doughnut:
09 Dark Tidings Tallerpoet the “Mason” - [0/10] :doughnut:
10 Dark Tidings Random sealed deck TBC - [0/10] :doughnut:

Another good month for the 10x10, thanks to TCO.

Part 2: Opportunity 50

Month Plays Progress Games
January 2 [2/50] On Tour, Monarch
February 2 [4/50] Wits & Wagers, Friday

Some progress, but need to get a wriggle on to avoid falling further behind.

Have a mammoth month of March gaming!

2 Likes