Wordle - A daily word game

I have no green button. I wonder if my ad blocker is killing it.

1 Like

No, at least not without some webpage editing. I think the charm comes from the communal aspect more than the game itself in a way but YMMV

1 Like

I had not seen this. But then I have only been online in a few select places over the past month.

Wordle 200 2/6

:green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

I got a bit lucky I think with my initial guess… (I was inspired by @lalunaverde guess what my 5 letter word may have been) was their any hint to follow or do you pick a random word to try?

1 Like

Wordle 200 6/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square:

Took me a while on the 6th try!

Wordle 200 5/6

:yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:

Oooh, I like this! Not seen it before but that’s getting checked everyday now :slight_smile:

Ah…

train :rofl:

2 Likes

There are no hints, so the fist guess is blind. But some words are better guesses than others. Queue would be a bad first guess, because it’s only got there distinct letters in it, one of them rare. Stern would be better, all of its letters are among the 10 most common, and it has the top two (etaoinshr is what I remember). A little further thought would come up with a good first two or three words (assuming you don’t play in hard mode) which would either give you several letters, or a short list of words that don’t contain any of the letters.

One of college friends played a vary similar game as a car game as a kid(variable length words, I don’t think you got told position matches), and was just frieghteningly good at all sorts of word games

2 Likes

I’m wondering do you come up with a good first word and stick to it or vary strategy for the first word every day. I’m not saying my first word, where’s the competitiveness if I did that.

2 Likes

Up to you, I have a few words that I’ve tried, if you have one with lots of vowels and some common consonants that seems to work well. But I usually mix it up so never use the same starting word more than a couple of times. Always exciting to get more colours than you expect with an unusual word

2 Likes

I also don’t know if it has any word checker. Can you just insert a jumble of the most common letters (not really in the spirit of the game).

My favourite tidbit about the popularity of Wordle is the Google search trend on the 1st January, where the word was REBUS. Apparently many people did the same thing I did and looked up the definition:

And since it’s the New Year you can see people staying up and looking it up just after midnight, then everyone goes to sleep before waking up to do the Wordle in the morning

I learned about it from Eric Lang’s Twitter just yesterday. When I couldn’t sleep I managed to get 2 in.

1 Like

No, I got one guess rejected for not being in the word list.

2 Likes

Ooh this was great, thank you!

Wordle 200 4/6

:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:

1 Like

Of course, the real game is looking at other people’s results and trying to reverse engineer their previous guesses from their posted grids

3 Likes

And I seem to have forgotten to finish my anecdote. Mark, my college friend, taught us lots of tricks for these sort of word guessing games, most of which have atrophied from lack of use, but frequency is as big one. Not just letters, words (not important for this game but in general it is), and letter pairs. Knowing “ie” is more common than “ei”, that sort of thing.

3 Likes

Found the cryptographer….

3 Likes

Pretty sure my penultimate guess was the same as yours :joy:

Wordle 200 5/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:

2 Likes

Wordle 200 3/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

3 Likes