Who's First? –⁠ First Player and Tie Breaker Rules

From Oceans:
“The start player is the person who can hold their breath the longest.”

And at the end of the game:
“If there is still a tie, the first person to get a job on a fishing boat in Alaska is the winner!”

Fortunately there wasn’t still a tie :rofl:

7 Likes

Bézier Games published Start Player – you turn a card and see who scores highest on that criterion, e.g. who’s tallest, who has most buttons, etc. I’ve not been able to find a copy though.

4 Likes

That’s the one I was thinking about earlier, thank you!

4 Likes

I bought a copy for a friend a few years ago. Not sure if he still has it.

1 Like

I think Kodama:The Tree Spirits has the first player being the person wearing the most green.

2 Likes

If one or more players have the same number of victory points when the game ends, the player with the most red stars in their court among the tied players wins. If there is still a tie, the player with the most rupees among the tied players wins. If there is still a tie, whoever can cook the best chopan kebab wins.

7 Likes

Are you this comitted?

2 Likes

Before seeing the video thumbnail but reading your caption, I expected to find this:

3 Likes

Not at all, but that guy on the phone sounds super knowledgeable about games.

3 Likes

Azul’s rule is the person who was most recently in Portugal goes first. I would love to play it someday, but no one I know has been to Portugal, so we can never start :frowning:

10 Likes

What do you do if you play a game of Azul in Portugal?

Most recent to enter the country? Or youngest player, for people native to the country?

2 Likes

“Whoever last had mushrooms for dinner” goes first in… (to the surprise of nobody) Fungi (aka Morels).

2 Likes

The game instructs you to open the sealed envelope taped underneath the box insert.

1 Like

I think it’s actually one of the Fleet games, but Container is arguably more absurd (most recently captained a container ship).

2 Likes

As my uncle likes to travel on container ships I would rule he comes closest to that :slight_smile: I must tell my cousins about this … but then the game isn’t really available.

3 Likes

Sounds like Fleet, or Nusfjord…

EDIT: Oh, never mind, it was the tie breaker of Oceans, I should have known that, we played it last Tuesday or Wednesday…

2 Likes

I particularly love this one, as being a Spaniard in NZ, it makes it possible for all my kiwi friends to be able to play it, and I always go first (been to Porto a few times in the 2010s)

5 Likes

Play sitting on stools, whoever touches the floor first (Portugal) gets to go.

2 Likes

I played Citadels during the weekend, and the rule there is the oldest person rules during the first round… Which I find a tad annoying.

I think Village also does this… I guess now that I tend to be the older in my group of friends has some weight in that feeling, when for a long time when I lived in Europe I tended to be the youngest.

3 Likes