Which specific copies of your games would you save?

I have most of the small BESM 2e supplements. I find them very charming. I thought 3rd edition was too tainted with Tri-Stat dX minutia.

Kallax cube

For game PDFs, I upload them from my desktop to Google Drive then download it to my tablet.

Ah. I don’t use Google any more than I can avoid.

I agree with you about the flaws of 3/e. When you come right down to it, I would rather run a supers campaign in BESM 2/e than in Silver Age Sentinels.

Or iCloud or dropbox or whatever. I have already accepted Google and Amazon as my corporate overlords, so I just roll with it. :wink:

I ran a convention supers game using BESM 2e and it works well. It’s like Hero Lite. I was really into the concept of SAS and ran the playtest rules, but never picked it up. Here are some comments I wrote about it in 2002:

• I lament the fact it is one step closer to Hero and away from BESM. However, I would still rather play it than Hero
  • The scales used for power progression are inconsistent, unintuitive, and difficult to use (too much page flipping). For example, it irks me that super strength and telekinesis do not use the same progression.
  • I like the way you can add range or area to a power by buying up those aspects separately instead of using Hero-esque calculations. Unfortunately, some powers like Force Field require these add-ons; otherwise, the power does not work as you might expect.
  • Some of the powers are wonky. I miss a simple “Insubstantial” power instead of a goofy mix of Alternate Form and Mass Decrease.

Going through my collection, there is nothing there that cannot be replaced (perhaps with the exception of Android, being OOP), but having gone through a big cull when moving to NZ in 2018, I have some experience. Not that I recommend it, and it was not a cull of board games (besides an old copy of Trivial Pursuit that we gave to friends). Even Risk Star Wars made it here, imagine how little my collection was… So Instead of 10 games, being realistic I would go for two big boxes (Kallax cube sized) as I have a fair few small games to fill them in:

Saved from the cull:
Oceans: I really like this game, I would rather not have to buy it again.
Splendor In all fairness, it is not difficult to get, and my version pieces are a tad on the light side, but it is my partner’s favourite. Probably if we had to, she would be OK with culling and rebuying, but I’d rather leave it there as an option.
Brass: Lancashire Another one I rather not have to re-buy. I got it at a good price.
Architects of the West Kingdom: I got a KS version with metal coins. Likely, I would take this over Raiders, but raiders is technically my daughter’s game so… If Splendor does not make it, Raiders would come along
Firefly Too soon to get rid of it.
Ticket to Ride: Europe One of the games I play more often with my daughter. Easy enough to reacquire, so probably if she was OK with it I would replace it with Blood Rage
Arboretum/Fort/Tiny Epic Dinosaurs/Love Letter Three small games that fit anywhere, and play often enough to be kept
Welcome to… another favourite of the family. Plus is not bulky really.
Stuffed Fables My daughter got it for Christmas, and we are half way through the campaign. It would be a shame to re-buy to re-start
Root + Riverside expansion: I don’t feel like facing the cost of re-buying it.

*Honorable mentions:
Gloomhaven did not make it, even though I am through a third of it, but I have everything recorded in my app, so it would not be difficult to re-buy. Plus is way bulky and heavy.
Empires of the Void II and Merchants and Marauders: I haven’t played them yet, so I don’t know if I will miss them or not. Same as Legend of Drizzt… new, but unplayed and bulky.
Battle for Rokugan I love it, but I have not played it near enough to miss it, or needing to re-buy it. My gaming group is not much into war-games, but maybe the new destination would be…

3 Likes

Too Many Bones I don’t want to spend the money again and I love the game

Spirit Island All the content plus organiser and again top tier game for me.

Indonesia Just because it’s brilliant.

Attika nostalgia here. Bought it around 2003 and still enjoy playing it now. I think the first euro I discovered and bought for myself.

RoboRally avalon hill second version (the one Quinn’s hates) again bought it early 2000s and a much played and loved copy.

Iki A top tier game and I don’t like the new art anywhere near as much as the original which I have. It’s a fairly unique art style in board games.

Burano just because I love the game and wouldn’t like to be without it.

Hanamikoji I have a first print run one in the smaller box. I’d not like the bigger box for this level and weight of game.

18OE similar reasons to @pillbox. It’s big, cool and super rare now.

Teotihuacan I have expansions, promos and an organiser plus I really rate it as a euro. Tons of replayability on a damn fine game. So it could stay.

3 Likes

I don’t really have any customised games, so about my only motivations would be whether/how expensive it would be to replace something (and particularly if the edition I have is prettier than the edition I could buy now). The nearest to “spent hours painting this” for me was “spent hours making replacement insert” which I’ve done for exactly one game (Mysterium).

I’d have to take Hansa Teutonica and its expansions (which all fit in the original box), and my favourite Cribbage board is definitely coming along.

In all honestly, I think I’d probably go with the Kallax option though, and stuff them full of as many of the small-box games as I could. I would get way more than 10 things out of that, and almost certainly maximise the value.

5 Likes

I only started buying big since 2020, so I could replace nearly all of it with the same edition. The only exception would be a 1990s Lost Cities with the original card art which I much prefer to the new version. And maybe Canvas because it’s hard to get and kinda unique.

3 Likes

Selling is too much work. I just toss them in the garbage or donate them (I’ve tossed about 40 games this year trying to clean out the house).

Anyway - if I keep only 10 games that I own (in no particular order):

1. Brass: Birmingham
  2. Brass: Lancashire
  3. Teotihuacan
  4. Tekhenu
  5. Tawantinsuyu
  6. Vinhos
  7. A Feast for Odin
  8. Champions of Midgard
  9. Pipeline
  10. Tapestry
3 Likes

Lots of games I’d save just because they’re so much fun, some of our favourites:

Terraforming Mars
Inis
New York Zoo
Quacks of Quedlinburg (with both expansions)
Bunny Kingdom (early days still, yes, but it’s really made an impression)
Jaipur
Bärenpark
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (I’m counting all the boxes as a single game and you can’t stop me)

Two I would prioritize over all else because on top of being awesome, they’re emotionally significant:

Patchwork is the first game we bought together and got us started.

Pandemic (base game, not legacy) is special. One thing we liked to do was play with four characters even and pretend that our dog was controlling one of them (another dog down the street would control the last one because why not). We had to have him put to sleep due to old age (15 years old) and badly declining health late last year. One of the last things we did over his ladt days was play a three-player game. He picked our team (gave me the Contingency Planner, LOL). It was tight as hell, but not only did we win, HE won it for us, it finished on his turn. It was MAGICAL.

It’s one of the last things I did with my son before he left us. It’s NEVER leaving my house.

7 Likes

This exercise is really emphasising to me the value of games which you can just pull off the shelf and get playing (the main exception being Memoir 44’s setup).

Jaipur
Memoir 44
Whitehall Mystery
Flamme Rouge
Decrypto
Crokinole
Lords of Vegas
Men at Work
Wavelength
Century: Eastern Wonders

5 Likes

I was going to argue, then I realised that every time I’ve played Whitehall Mystery there’s been at least one player there who’s new to the game or at least would like a rules refresher.

4 Likes