Where on Earth are you!? Show us the sights from your part of the world

Even just the picture… looks sooo lovely. I wish a trip to the sea wasn‘t at least an 8 hour drive for us.

2 Likes

Very lucky it’s 35 minutes for us.

I’m going to look into a winter wetsuit. I’d love to learn to surf

2 Likes

Did you maybe play Day of the Tentacle on acid sometime? XD

2 Likes

If you’ve never come across it, check out SportPursuit. They often have decent wetsuits quite heavily reduced. Admittedly triathlon wetsuits are more common there than watersports, but worth a look.

2 Likes

It’s springtime in DC. Here is my family between sneezes.

Also, I’m very late to the party but I wanted to get @dscheidt’s back. I’m so ready to move to kilometers and liters but I’m Fahrenheit to the death.

My reason is the same, I am not water. 0-100 may not be everyone’s local temperature but it is calibrated to a human’s general sensibility. 0 is very cold, 25 is comfortably cold, 50 is just what it is. 75 is moderately warm, and 100 is uncomfortably warm. Once you are outside the 0-100 range, woe.

7 Likes

I did a tour around the lake and the monuments when I was DC. Absolutely scorching hot day then absolutely chucked it down as we got to the Jefferson Memorial (where it looks like you’re near, hence me thinking of it). Utterly, utterly soaked. A long wet trudge back to my hotel!!

2 Likes

It’s by FDR. Jefferson is just to the right of the frame. The whole ring looks pretty similar, though!

1 Like

Ah - we did go there on the way! Fair play, Americans know how to do monuments!

2 Likes

I think we outsourced a lot of it to the French :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This sounded great, until I checked and found that 0 F is -17 C. That’s way, way outside what I would consider normal “general sensibility”. Not even remotely equivalent in discomfort to 100 F, which is 38 C and therefore merely a very hot day.

4 Likes

To be fair, I think there’s truth to that. A more perfect scale might be about 10 to 110 F? I’ll stick to my adjusted guns that, if you ask an average person to rate how hot/cold it is on a scale of 100, answers might converge on just about that range.

2 Likes

Something like 20 F to 110 F, I guess. But I’ll be sticking with -10 C to 40 C, which I find functionally almost identical, except that I don’t have any trouble remembering any of the reference points on the scale, like where water freezes.

At the end of the day, it just boils down to what we are used to.

(sorry for the pun)

3 Likes

That’s super helpful next time I’m out of the states. Suppose I could have calculated rounded endpoints myself but never did.

So I suppose 15 -25 is the sweet spot?

2 Likes

In centigrade? You could say that. 18 to 25 even better, some people need a jumper on at 15C.

2 Likes

Went to Chester today.

Saw a Rubber Duck race go the wrong way down the river and a Morris Dancer Troupe in a Roman amphitheatre.

Oh England, how I love thee

13 Likes

For our 22nd anniversary we actually left the apartment to visit downtown, take a walk through the Botanical garden (which had suffered some losses from last night’s thunder-/snow storm). Enjoyed a look at the rear of our constitutional court building and went to get cake from the same Konditorei where my grandparents would indulge us when they came to visit.

14 Likes

Uhmmm Chester, I love it, so much heritage. One of my three favourite cities in England.

2 Likes

So this weekend I found myself sitting at a table in the 15th century library (Chetham’s Library) where Marx and Engels wrote the Communist Manifesto.

Also, steam trains!

12 Likes

In the new, and otherwise grindingly soulless, riverside housing development in Maidenhead [UK]:

7 Likes

I can see that causing trouble in many a night out to people with a few drinks too many…

2 Likes