Where on Earth are you!? Show us the sights from your part of the world

For most of my adult life, I lived in San Diego, California, or in Chula Vista, one of its suburbs. In 2016, C and I moved to Riverside, California. Earlier this year, we moved to Lawrence, Kansas. We had decided in 2018 that we had to get out of California, because it was becoming prohibitively expensive, and also because we didn’t like its policy environment (this became catastrophically worse in late 2019, with the passage of AB 5, which essentially prohibits most forms of freelance work, including mine—but we were already committed by then). We spent several month doing research on US states and cities, starting with a list of 36 cities, and narrowing down; in the fall I flew to our top choices, Boise, Idaho and Lawrence. I liked both of them, but C pointed out that housing costs in Boise had risen since we first looked at it, and we learned that it had become a popular destination for Californian expats, who both bid up housing costs and voted for the same kind of policies we wanted to get away from. So Lawrence it was.

On one hand, Kansas was rated in the top ten in the Cato Institute’s ranking of states by economic freedom (California is in the bottom five). (Kansas is also ranked #12 on the U.S. Nerdchart.) On the other, Lawrence is a college town, with university libraries, a variety of cuisines, and other desirable cultural attributes. It also is the home of two very old friends, who in fact put me up on my two pre-move visits.

So what is Lawrence like? Geographically, it’s mildly hilly, though by Riverside standards it’s pretty flat; there are no mountains in sight. It gets a good deal of rain and is quite green much of the year. Architecturally, it’s influenced by New England (it was founded by anti-slavery activists from there), with pleasantly diverse materials:

It reportedly has an excellent city library, now unhappily closed, which is more modern looking:

It’s the home of the University of Kansas, which has some very nice stone buildings:

We live right next to Free State High School, one of the two high schools, named for the antislavery days; and across from it is a shopping area with a Sprouts, a supermarket that calls itself a farmer’s market and sells a lot of bulk foodstuffs and organic products—and has a variety of other things that I like (I have no personal interest in organic foods). It has some decent restaurants; when we were staying in a motel before the movers got here, we discovered that just next door there was a Chinese restaurant that had dishes such as cumin lamb and dry-fried green beans, which we had encountered at our favorite restaurant in Riverside, Frice, and hadn’t thought we would even see again. And not far from there there’s a good Mexican restaurant. We’re looking forward to having things open up so we can see more of the city.

I’m really looking forward to the days when both the city library and the university libraries open up, and when the estimated risk of socializing goes down enough so we can see our local friends face to face. (The Dusty Bookshelf, shown in my first photo, is starting to move toward opening up now.)

5 Likes

I’ve done it!

2 Likes

I live in Cardiff now, but I’m an Ely boy.

1 Like

All I know about Cardiff, I learned from Torchwood :slight_smile: *quickly ducks away in case Cardiff citizens hate Torchwood*

3 Likes

Not sure about Cardiff residents but my wife and I love Torchwood. The shrine for Ianto is permanent in Bay.

I’ll pull some Cardiff images from the laptop tomorrow.

3 Likes

I lived in Lawrence for a year and change; it’s an interesting town but I tire easily of the student-oriented culture that pervades the town.

Admittedly, I live a mere 30-45 minutes away and I’ve not been there in nearly a decade. I do have friends, however, that make a point to spend a day in Lawrence once or twice a year as a retreat from the very-different feeling nearby Kansas City.

Mass Street (short for Massachusetts Streetnasium) is a popular destination for both locals and visitors; it’s a charming strip of historic downtown that, unfortunately, has been painted over with the gauche colors of modern retail chains.

Also the nearby Eldridge hotel (sadly, not Eldritch) has an interesting (relatively speaking) history in addition to a nice bit of architectural eye-candy.

Lawrence, being home to the University of Kansas, is proud of their basketball heritage - which I have little interesting in or knowledge of.

1 Like

This building shows up in nearly every photo of High Wycombe, because it’s one of the few interesting ones left since the town centre was rebuilt in the 1960s. It’s the old Guildhall.

This is the building that’s in shot if the other one isn’t: the old corn market, on the other side of the (pedestrianised) high street.

In normal times, there’s a market a few days a week. Nothing hugely impressive, but a bit more interesting than the generic brands you can find anywhere.

This is what they want you to think the shopping centre looks like:

and this is what it actually looks like:

That section consists of several streets, partly roofed over - which means that it’s less stuffy and smelly than most Gruen-style shopping centres, and even offers you the long sightlines he detested, though you can get surprised by rain if you aren’t paying attention.

Anything vaguely cultural happens at the Swan Theatre, which is a roughly 1,200-seat venue. Because of that capacity, it doesn’t get the huge names; but that also means it’s more likely to have local acts than somewhere larger or more expensive.

But one of the problems is that it’s reliably 20-30 minutes by train to central London, so the additional burden of shopping or going to a show there rather than here is quite low. Anything that’s set up in Wycombe is competing with “let’s just take the train to London instead”.

9 Likes

I am from the suburbs of Edinburgh.

It is a great place to live but will be curiously empty this year - no Festivals, no tourists.

I hope we can get back to normal but there are many miles to go!

As a side note I have always lived here and always loved the summer when the city comes alive.

This is the Tattoo:

And this is Edinburgh at Festival time

It is busy, cacophonous, expensive and the best time of the year!

6 Likes

I do some mild developing. The sort of place I need
Is a quiet country market town that’s rather run to seed.
A luncheon and a drink or two, a little savoir faire
I fix the Planning Officer, the Town Clerk and the Mayor.

And if some preservationist attempts to interfere
A “dangerous structure” notice from the Borough Engineer
Will settle any buildings that are standing in our way—
The modern style, sir, with respect, has really come to stay.

—John Betjeman, “Executive”

1 Like

I like college towns. The colleges have libraries with books that I really want to read, and they tend to have more varied choices of cuisine than other towns of comparable size. And at the same time, because they’re small, the people are less stressed, friendlier, and more helpful.

3 Likes

Osaka, this is the early morning view from our 2nd floor window:

Not spectacular, I know, but the flower arrangements are nice, as is the cherry blossom tree. The street is barely wide enough for one car, and there’s no pavement on our side. It’s weird overlooking the school during the pandemic - we miss the mornings where the head teacher and/or gatekeeper greet the kids at the gate. Every kid wears a leather backpack in the German style - a “randoruseru” - that parents (or grandparents) spend a silly amount of money on.

A view from our roof, where a neighbor had “koi nobori” carp flags on display for children’s day.

PS: that isn’t even our next-door neighbor. No zoom taking the photo either, there is another house squeezed in between ours and the one you can see.

11 Likes

I live on the Wirral Peninsula but not in Wirral Borough Council.

No idea where that is? Look for the spit of land below Liverpool, UK (where I work in the UK’s best [REF grading per head] chemistry department) but not in Wales.

It’s main claim to fame is Proto Central Park, AKA Birkenhead Park 250px-Swiss_Bridge,_Birkenhead_Park_2019-1.

EDIT: I’ll add more pictures of my town when we go for a walk tomorrow.

7 Likes

I love the fringe so much! Had a few years break though since it always ends up so expensive and it’s a lot easier to catch work in progress shows these days. Hoping to make it back next year.

1 Like

I was supposed to have been in Edinburgh today… I am one of the missing tourists… hopefully next year :slight_smile: would have been my fourth visit…

2 Likes

I really want to see the Tattoo in person one day. The drum corps are something else.

1 Like

Just as a comparative note, here is my favorite building in Riverside, an old factory building:

(The sign above the entrance, largely hidden by a tree, says “Iron Works.”)

6 Likes

I live at Kempsey, a declining rural centre in the Mid North Coast region of New South Wales. The town was never important or really prosperous, and is visually unexciting.

Except perhaps when it’s too exciting:

Our sights are correspondingly, all landscapes. They start where the various tributaries of the Macleay river fall off the New England Tableland in the Oxley Wild Rivers National Park

include some gorge country that is pretty but difficult to convey in a photograph

the mid-course grazing country

and the area around the town

Downriver is a small delta, a former coastal lagoon filled up by river silt over the last few thousand years. Visitors for the UK have been known to liken it to Norfolk, which I don’t think they mean kindly:

11 Likes

F inally we have a strip of coastal dunes backed by wetlands, affording a string of long sandy beaches. Which are a landform that I am rather susceptible to:

Goolawah:

Killick:

Hat Head:

Trial Bay:

Stuarts Point:

12 Likes

I once had to fly there for a conference, and happened to be coming in on the last night of the Fringe - fireworks all over the sky on my side of the plane as we turned onto finals.

I know Japanese schools only from their depictions in anime, and it’s interesting to see how much of that clichéd/idealised setup is reflected in this specific example of a real one.

I once bicycled from Chester to Birkenhead and back in a day. Which was quite tiring, but great fun.

4 Likes

I hope you will too. Taking a risk on new stuff is always the joy of the Fringe. In a day out you can see three average things, one terrible thing and one thing that is so unique it will stay with you for the rest of your life!

1 Like