Where on Earth are you!? Show us the sights from your part of the world

I suspect a lot of people hadn’t noticed it until the internet made it a problem:

5 Likes

The “Scunthorpe” problem reared its head about 18 years ago for me while trying to distribute weekly Fantasy Football results for our work league. The added frisson was that particular 3rd round FA Cup tie featured Scunthorpe playing Arsenal.

5 Likes

Ohhh that cracked me up… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don’t get out of the house much, so here’s a picture taken from my porch on this beautiful spring day

5 Likes

Currently shielding here is very sunny Stoke so my part of the world is entirely made up of the back garden!

10 Likes

Join us in the gardening thread! :grin:

3 Likes

Gardening and board games let the geek world collide!!!

3 Likes

It’s no Pee Pee, Ohio though.

1 Like

Those are essentially the UK pronunciations, given that those towns are British as well.

1 Like

While we’re on weird British town name pronunciations, how about Haywick (Hoyk), Leicester (Less-tuh), and Loughborough (Luff-bruh) :grin:

(Acceptable alternative pronunciation for Loughborough: Loo-guh-baroo-guh)

2 Likes

Yeah, we’re really sorry about Leicester being “less-tuh” and not “Lye-sess-terr”.

Also Holborn is “HO-bun” and not “Holl born”.

And Clapham is “Clapum”, not “Clap Ham” or “Claffum”, either of which it totally could be. Sorry. Our fault.

I can tell you that I am constantly amused whenever somebody talks about:

Hello all - it’s been a bit, I haven’t been on since the migration but I thought I’d hop back in because, frankly, I’ve missed you all and the world is not great right now.

Here’s the view from about 30 minutes from my house in Northern British Columbia, Canada.

18 Likes

Welcome! That is a gorgeous panorama!

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

My favourite for that is Leominster.

Lemstah?? Really? You have a lovely Leo and a minster there… The laughter I got when I asked for directions in Hereford once…

And Worcester for years had me confused, when I heard Wustah… We used to get cattle from Worcester market, and I couldn’t find it in the map, until one day it clicked…

2 Likes

Beautiful. Glad to have you over

2 Likes

Glad to see you @lovvbar!

1 Like

I live near Lewes, which is pronounced lewis, and Offham, which is pronounced oh-fum. Not all that far from Brighton, which is spelt with two silent letters but despite that has well-known pronunciation. This photo is a few weeks old, but shows the nearby bluebells which were pretty fine in early Spring. I’m not a gardener, so wild flowers have to do. Kites are fairly rare here, but there is one every now and then. I always appreciate their contribution to the M40 scenery.

8 Likes

New England, especially Massachusetts, has many of the same English town names, and they are mostly pronounced in the same manner. The big indicators that one is not from “round heeyah” are Worcester and Gloucester, but also some homegrown ones: Haverhill (HAY-verll), Methuen (meth-OO-wen), Quincy (QUIN-zee), and Billerica (BILL-rik-ah).

1 Like