I not only use BGG and basically using their rating scale but I also keep sorting and going through and rerating, I have also added comments to most of my owned games that I have rated. Not long, often not even a mini review but maybe enough so someone looking at it in Geekbuddy analysis can see why I like the game. I hope at least that is what my comments convey. I have previously used comments from users to determine whether to buy games before I ever started watching youTube game reviews the comments were a helpful guide. Geek Buddy analysis only makes them more valuable.
There is selection bias. At Spiel I may play games that I just don‘t enjoy much. I have a few games rated low but those are not marked as „Owned“. I rate unowned games as much as I rate games I have on my shelf. I use BGG to track more than just ratings though, by now I track how much I payed for a game and when I got it.
Like several of you I also use my ratings to extract games from the collection to sell them.
- Anything 6 and lower must go sooner or later and is usually listed „For Trade“ or „Previously Owned“.
- 6.5 is my rating for „games I will only play if someone begs me but I am still keeping them for Nostalgia“ for example City of Chaos, The Isle of Dr. Necreaux, Gipf
- 7 is a good game that I will play gladly but I am not sure I should own. I have too many games.
- 7.5 is often my initial rating where I haven‘t quite decided yet if this is a keeper and should go up to an 8 or down to a 7 where I may eventually get rid of it.
- 8 this is where the keepers start. Games I really want to play and bring to game night.
- I use 8.5 for games that are on their way to becoming favorites but haven‘t decided yet
- 9 these are favorite games (Obsession, Oath), GOTY candidates in busy years or games where I appreciate the game design so much I cannot bear to rate them lower even if maybe they can be stressful to play (On Mars, Pax Pamir 2, Leaving Earth) So in a weird twist some of these are games I cannot play often.
- 9.5 As with all my .5 ratings this mostly tends to signify an upward trajectory (Beyond the Sun sits here currently). Also Die Crew and Codenames sit here because I know at some point I will play them too much…
- 10 my very very very favorite games: Spirit Island, Gloomhaven & Terra Mystica
I have rated games lower than 6 but something needs to be really unfun, badly designed, unbalanced or otherwise actively make me angry to do that to a game. Of course „things that aren‘t games“ end up down here.
I use the more differentiated scale at the upper end to be able to sort games as well. If I find that something stands out from the games I rated 8… and I want to play it more… it may go to 8.5 if that makes any sense. (If not look at what some reviewers f.e. Radho do with their ratings—when they rate at all)
Btw: anything I rated below a 6 I will not play.
PS: I have rated 465 games on BGG… 466…