What are your prized games that SU&SD has NOT covered?

If you stick around long enough, your collection will start to look like (or like a subset of) Quinns’s and Matt’s collections. I’m wondering what are your favorites that either pre-date their coverage or slipped through the net?

And it’s ok if it turns out they did actually discuss it and you didn’t know it. As long as you came to it from a different inlet.

7 Likes

I think I’m fairly well at peace with the idea that Matt and Quinns wouldn’t care for some of my absolute favorite games. They’ve dabbled in 18xx and opted to not cover it except as mentions in podcasts.

I think they’ve been aware of Millennium Blades and have opted to not cover it; though it did get some coverage on their site a while ago by contributor Matt Thrower; that’s probably all that’s ever going to happen.

Most of my favorites are either A) things I’ve learned about from SUSD or B) things old enough that they are probably not worth mentioning (until they, perhaps, get a new reprint)

5 Likes

Millennium Blades is on my “if money was ever no object” list. I’d love to play but can’t (yet) justify a purchase.

On that note, Empyreal goes on my list. It’s another Level99 game and an absolute genre mashup that just works. On the surface, it’s a train / route / delivery game, but gives you asymmetric companies, variable player powers, a customizable rondel, area control goal tiles… the list probably goes on.

It’s oversized, overpriced, and overproduced but I can’t help but recommend it because it is so good.

2 Likes

Got to thank them for several I did buy as a direct result of SUSD reviews, but ones I got totally separately that I’d recommend to folks:

Parks
Kanagawa
Lost Cities
Chronicles of Crime 1400
(And I bought Marvel Champions before their review and like it a lot more than they do!)

3 Likes

I grabbed a copy of Empyreal but have not yet had a chance to play it. L99 always has interesting games, it seems. I also have a copy of Argent: The Consortium unplayed.

1 Like

We should be friends.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t like Firefly. And I know they didn’t like Rallyman GT.

2 Likes

Have they ever touched on Feudum? I wouldn’t be able to guess how they’d skew other than to suggest that if it clicked with them, it would be ripe for one of their “hotly excited, buuuuuuuuut…” reviews. Tons of above board interaction, wildly unedited/unrestrained design, grossly overproduced yet desirable (and largely obtainable), and utterly unique.

Whatever their take I’d expect a pretty juicy report.

3 Likes

There’s a few, though some might have had written reviews in the past or had some discussion. For ease, I’ll focus on those that haven’t been reviewed.

Orleans for example had a written review but it was written by one of the core team, and from I can remember none of them had really played it much. Matt did a review of the spiritual sequel (I forget the name of it) but it seems like one that deserves a proper video review to me.

It’s a new one, but Lost Ruins of Arnak is the go to game at the moment. Me and my girlfriend always tend to favour different games, but this is one we both agree on being superb. Would like to see one of the team give this the treatment.

Isle of Cats is my favourite polyomino game, so that’s an easy one.

3 Likes

I was making a list and the list kept going. :frowning: I’m sure I’ve never seen nor heard them talking about these. Babylonia seems to be on Tom’s to-do list

I knew I was going on my own way for years now. But I still listen because they do talk about games I have zero idea about. The selection nowadays is huge.

3 Likes

Altiplano – a game that I have very similar feelings as Matt. It’s not great, but it is charming.

2 Likes

Games I can’t remember they have mentioned:
The Networks
Tortuga 1667
Belratti

Games I like, but they don’t
T.I.M.E. Stories

Also, I think I got The Crew before any major English speaking channel did a review.

3 Likes

Looks like No. Your post triggered a memory but scanning through the videos I was thinking of “Fief.”

3 Likes

Babylonia is really, really good. They did a recent podcast comparing Blue Lagoon to Through the Desert and Yellow/Yangtze to Tigris/Euphrates. Somehow Babylonia got no coverage.

3 Likes

I don’t have many Kramer & Kiesling games (which is a shame if you ask me), but one of my all time favorite games is one of theirs, Coal Baron (a.k.a Glück Auf). I’m not sure it’s “amazing” enough to circle back around to it at this point, but I do wish it had gained more popularity. I also have the card game version of it… which, looks fine? I haven’t managed to play it yet.

2 Likes

I play Quartermaster General quite a bit. Have that ever been covered?

2 Likes

So I know that Paul did a written review for Spirit Island, but I really feel like it deserves a video review. I would venture that I’m not alone in that with all the love it gets here.

Everdell has consistently been one of my most enjoyed games, and it’s been something that everyone who has played it with me has just simply had fun with, even when the cards aren’t falling in their favor. I think the only mention it ever got was in a podcast with a throw away “it’s not good.”

I thnk I would second Orleans as deserving a video review as well. It’s just such a great game with great production, and I think Altiplano may have a cuter theme but is not on par with Orleans.

5 Likes

I think I first heard of Quartermaster General from a SUSD podcast, where it was given some credit. If not, then I’m not sure where I heard of it first. It’s a great game that doesn’t seem to have got much traction.

1 Like

Some of my favorite games were brought to me by no reviewer. Spirit Island and Clank! Legacy come to mind immediately. Terra Mystica is one such as well (I had it on preorder when it came out). Then there is Pax Pamir which I feel they have mostly ignored. Leaving Earth which is too niche for almost anyone to review. The West Kingdom trilogy has been reviewed by quite a few others but I stumbled across it preparing for SPIEL one year and was hooked.

Sometimes I just know what games are mine.

7 Likes

I completely forgot about Pax! There’s been so little mentioned about Pax, and that surprises me because it is so unique. Maybe due to it not being a retail release?

3 Likes