What are you typing on (a mechanical keyboard thread)?

I must admit I had no idea the definition of a mechanical keyboard could be so narrow. I am no longer sure whether my keyboard would be considered “mechanical” or not, so I’m guessing not.

1 Like

As we look to be heading back to the office in September I’d like to reclaim some space on my home desk.

Currently I have two mice and two keyboards such that in the morning I can move the “work” KB and M to the front of my desk and move them to the back in the evening.

Since WFH is going to be less frequent, I’d rather not have a spare KB and M hanging around.

What complicates matters is that my “home” KB is wireless and we’re absolutely not allowed to use them on our work laptops. So I think I’m going to upgrade to a wired/wireless mechanical KB which I’ll hopefully be able to connect to both. I think I can just about live with leaving a second mouse on my desk for the odd day WFH.

3 Likes

A colleague has a Keychron which looks nice enough and ticks the boxes:

3 Likes

4000 mAh suggest wireless?

Yeah, that’ll do for my home PC and it has a wired mode which should do nicely for when I need to connect it to my work laptop.

1 Like

Prior to having kids, I always avoided wireless peripherals (and devices, in general) because I just couldn’t be bothered to keep batteries around.

Since having kids and knowing that battery-powered things are critical for the whole “kids will trip, pull, chew, and otherwise ruin your day on wires”, I’ve just taken to ordering batteries in bulk.

So… I think after all these years I could possibly choose a wireless keyboard.

2 Likes

I’ve had my current wireless keyboard for 5 (I think) years and I’ve never changed the batteries in it.

That being said, I think the one I linked has an integral battery, so no worry about swapping new ones in.

1 Like

Rechargable batteries are your friend. Especially as so many kid toys require them, and many of them only last a day if they are continually used. I should probably buy stock in the company so I can partially pay myself with how many of the things we need.

2 Likes

Down the rabbit hole I go:

I bought the following assortment of switches and shoved them into my existing macro-pad:

Zealio V2 67g
Gateron Brown   | Kailh Pro Purple | NovelKeys x Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange
Cherry MX Brown | Kailh Brown      | Kailh Box Brown

The rest of the switches are “Kailh Speed Golds” which came with the macro-pad, but too clicky for normal typing I think.

4 Likes

I’m not a serious hobbyist in this regard, but I do prefer mechanical keyboards. So, when I recently got one, I went with an economical choice: Keychron K4 (96%) with Gateron brown switches. The browns don’t require more force than my age-addled claws can muster, and are satisfyingly “clacky” without being obnoxious.

So far, so good, but I would highly recommend a wrist rest if anyone is considering getting one.

4 Likes

That is what I have. I use it with my work MacBook (corded at the office, wireless at home). I’ve had it for about a month now, and am really enjoying it. As I stated in my earlier post here, I chose the brown switches, although the reds would probably be fine for me too. The sound of the browns when typing is very satisfying to me, (and I am really loving having a number pad again).

1 Like

Due to my propensity for spilling soda over my desk, I tend toward cheap, no-fills keyboards. I am on my second one of these:

1 Like

I just bought a laptop stand and I’m enjoying my new work set-up. The separate keyboard is what put the bug in my brain. :grin:

(Pardon the mess, but I believe that a messy desk is a happy desk. :face_with_monocle:)

5 Likes

A monitor/laptop arm was one of my best pandemic/home-office investments:

That was shortly after setting up the arm at Xmas, it hasn’t been that tidy since. It also gained a second keyboard and mouse.

5 Likes

So…I got an identical K4, but with the blue switches, on the understanding that I could return it if I didn’t like it. Thing is, I do like it. That’s surprising to me, to be honest. But I also really like the brown switches. I have a feeling that I’d also like the red switches too. My God, but I’m just a basket case. :laughing:

NB: The browns are the best. Hands down. :grin:

But…I’m not returning the blues. Too good. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Addendum: It has to do with feedback. The browns feel better, but the blues sound better. I can’t choose between them. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I’ve only tried various flavours of tactile switches mostly to keep the decision space slightly smaller. Though I do have some “speed” clickies (Kailh Box Gold) in my hot-swappable macro pad.

I’m aiming for a hot-swappable keyboard even though I’ll likely never swap the whole set of keys. But the idea of having some clickies or linears dotted around is kind of appealing. :laughing:

1 Like

have any of you ever tried to repair a mechanical keyboard? like switch 2 buttons?

My “q” and at button is no longer working … the thing is slightly over 3 years old and really a mechanical keyboard that costs over 200€ should not be broken now. it is just the one key. I have enough unused “F” keys… but the repair video I watched for a close relation of my keyboard suggests I am not up to the task -.- soldering stuff? Nope. My contact with razer support does not look promising either.

Barring repair… I had a Razer Huntsman Elite now for 3 years. Which is really loud. But I’d still like a mechanical keyboard. So I’ll be scouring the thread here for your recs. Thanks all. I just needed to vent. That particular button is not optional.

On an unexpected positive note: I bought the keyboard at amazon and their order history is really worth something. Tech stuff is one of the few things I still buy there occasionally precisely b/c they track all that stuff for me. So I don’t have to. Because stuff breaks.

3 Likes

Unless it’s a hotswap socket you will unfortunately need to de-solder the switch and solder an new one in its place.

I almost pulled the trigger on my custom keyboard build then read some poor reviews of the lifespan of the switches I was going to buy. So I’m having a bit more of a think.

2 Likes

Which switches were those?

No soldering… I am looking for a new keyboard atm. This looks nice.

I was looking at the Kailh Box, browns in particular for that tactility. Apparently they start off well but after a period of use the lubricant wears off and they become quite loud.

The vendor I’m looking at getting the keyboard and keycaps from do Gateron Browns or Kailh Purples so I may fall back to one of those. I think the Keychrons have Gateron Browns in them?

1 Like