What are you spinning?

Feeder are special (tangerine is not a great song but I love it) and I have no idea why.

There is a weird group of UK bands around that era that my brain lumps together although really probably years between them (JJ72, my vitriol, ash, reef).

2 Likes

Ash are great. (And are probably the only band founded in the 80s with a lead singer who is 43)

Reef were an absolute monster.

2 Likes

I’ve not heard of My Vitriol.

I have the JJ72 album. Oxygen is an amazing song but I couldn’t tell you any more than that. Ash are incredible. Reef - Blow you away is belting.

Oasis are still my favourite from that era

1 Like

Yeah I saw a photo recently of Tim and realised how old I am.

My favourite ash song (and definitely in my top 10 of all time)
Life less ordinary

Have a look captbnut. Only a few great songs but we’re good live.

My vitriol.

2 Likes

Kung Fu for me as my favourite Ash song.

2 Likes

Random anecdote: my first (and main) guitar is a black SG. With how much Sabbath were an influence on me, most would assume it’s because Tony Iommi plays one.

But it’s because Charlotte Hatherly plays one in the video for Burn Baby Burn.

I knew of them vaguely when they were big, but never really checked them out other than a Madonna cover I had on a random CD from a magazine.

I rectified that a couple of years ago and was gutted to discover how good they were.

3 Likes

Burn Baby Burn is amazing.

2 Likes

Charlotte was my hero. Really good solo album too.

(Link added for proof)
Charlotte

Saw MyVitriol at King Tuts (300 capacity venue) wars were buzzing for days.

2 Likes

Wow. It’s neat to learn Ash kept rolling. I came across them back in like 1994 through the CMJ magazine (RIP) which featured Jack Names the Planets (fun tune!). They never made a splash in North America so I always figured they were a one album wonder.

1 Like

If we’re talking British rock bands that had a bit of fame in the early '00s, my favourite will always be A (who I discovered via a CD that came free with some Golden Grahams … I may still have the CD …).

1 Like

OMG I LOVED A! No. 1 was a fave for me.

In hindsight surely the worst band name in the world once the internet became a thing.

1 Like

For me my favourite of that time that I listened to relentlessly was Idlewild.

Woods ideas

Reaching nostalgia overload. Backing away.

To veer away from what were you listening back to what are you listening to.

Right now i’ve been listening to lots of Public Service Broadcasting.

Gargarin

And pup

Dvp

1 Like

Always:

3 Likes

Wow, great riffs in that tune. Immediately diving in.

Two ‘bands’ that you could argue made equally bad decisions regarding their names are:

The The

There are many other songs I could have chosen

I could have chosen Uncertain Smile or Giant or basically anything he’s ever done. Matt Johnson is a genius.

and

µ-Ziq

PS

I Absolutely love Public Service Broadcasting. Spitfire is brilliant and without them I would never have come across the ‘very heavily refreshed’ Thomas Woodruff RN

2 Likes

I think !!! may be the winners of this particular contest as both Google and Youtube turn up zero results.

2 Likes

Definitely a winner!

To find !!! you need to search for Chk Chk Chk because… err because it’s totes obvs!

Probably I should have stopped there but that search led to the discovery of the Witch House genre. I’m currently listening to M△S▴C△RA , ///▲▲▲\\ (who became Horse MacGyver or more correctly Hø®sƎ ɹƎʌʎbɔΛɯ) and †HR33:ΔM.

1 Like

Ah, it reminds me of the name I came up with that I’d use if I ever started an industrial band.

ꓘon|densed[M:LK]

This reminds me of a band I used to listen to who occasionally styled themselves as ¡FФЯWДЯD, RUSSIД! - now I need to go listen to them again.