What are you spinning?

Oh I didn’t recognise Zeal and Adore at first.

That thing comes from such a problematic place, but became something much better than that. Which is real nice.

1 Like

Agreed - it being born from polls of 4Chan definitely made me apprehensive at first but you can’t argue with the product.

Just saw this thread, though it was going to be about spinning yarn/thread. Mildly disappointed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::nerd_face::person_fencing:

2 Likes

The last thing I listened to was my favorites playlist which starts with (all full albums):
Will To Power - Arch Enemy
Resist - Within Temptation
Hydra - Within Temptation
Schock - Eisbrecher
Fear of the Dark - Iron Maiden
The Beginning of Times - Amorphis
Sorceress - Opeth
Aegis - Theater of Tragedy
The Unforgiving - Within Temptation
Beyond the Veil - Tristania

I am sure there’s a theme here :slight_smile:

Other than that we listen to the only German metal radio station Radio Rock Antenne–because it’s much better to wake up to AC/DC than whatever our local station plays.

I usually use the festival we visit in the summer to get up to date with what my favorite bands are doing but no festival this year so I am kind of languishing…

@IssiNoho77: re Hocico/Wolfsheim–sounds like you should go to M’era Luna one year.
@RogerBW: I need to give those covers a try. I think some of them were on Hydra, were they not? (I am not sure there was a short phase with the Heart of Everything where I wasn’t following them much…

2 Likes

For stuff I’m regularly listening to, I’ve got a load of stuff in a Spotify playlist that I just chuck on shuffle.

Poppy (weird elctronic pop with occasional metal bits)
tricot (Japanese math rock)
Vodun/Invasion (kinda the same band but with a different guitarist - doom metal with a soul vocalist)
Year of the Cobra (doom metal with just a bassist/vocalist and a drummer)
Smoulder (power doom metal? it’s epic, but in a mournful way)
Husbandry (weird post-hardcore)
War On Women (angry feminist hardcore)
Dool (goth rock)
Heavy Tiger (hard rock/power pop)
Babymetal (just … Babymetal)
Jamie Lenman (formerly of the band Reuben - post-hardcore, but the British version)
Rabbit Junk (digital hardcore)
Protest the Hero (more post-hardcore)
Lea Lea (electronica/hip-hop?)
Mary Epworth (experimental pop)
Svalbard (hardcore/post-black metal - I used to know the vocalist/guitarist)

4 Likes

I’ve been revisiting Childish Gambinos music from the beginning and…it is infuriating how multi talented that dude is.

3 Likes

@bruitist The person who did the album cover for Poppy’s album with just their face covered in like… Black paint? Is about to release some of their own stuff on Federal Prisoner.

1 Like

No idea where things came out (or, indeed, when, unless I look it up). I get most of my music off YouTube.

(Oh, if people don’t know about it, https://melodice.org/ is YouTube playlists for games.)

2 Likes

Played something more or less at random out of my collection, and felt happier. So now I’m mainlining 90s Boston ska punk:

1 Like

@brutist have you been enjoying the new Protest singles so far? More of the same, really, but that’s not always a bad thing.

Also re: Tricot - I suspect you’d enjoy Polkadot Stingray, at least some of their tunes. And I presume you’re already well familiar with LITE?

Yeh, they’re not a band I’d ever expect to put out anything bad, but neither of them has particularly grabbed me.

I don’t know either of those! I shall have to check them out.

1 Like

Keep in mind Polkadot Stingray leans heavily on the pop end of things compared to Tricot, but some of the guitar work is absolutely amazing. LITE is, in my mind the premiere Math outfit from Japan, but they are instrumental; Hope that’s not too much of a barrier to entry.

@bruitist just a heads up, the new Protest album will hit YouTube tonight in full (proper release to follow shortly, one would assume).

1 Like

I have never heard this song without it cheering me up immensely. Video is ace as well.

Think it dates my age pretty well

https://youtu.be/o5mZsDLFyv4

Updated video for lockdown which is also awesome

https://youtu.be/-WxJB2wss20

Any my local (to work anyway, Stuart’s family are my patients) band

https://youtu.be/5kZaW1a_olk

To carry on hijacking the thread,.I love Rudimental. Last gig I went to, bizarrely at the golf at Wentworth last September. Full 2 hour set and we were about 15 metres from the stage

https://youtu.be/oABEGc8Dus0

2 Likes

You sir, are an absolute legend.

Love Feeder, love this.

I often wondered what the Japanese kid in the original video was doing now, I was happy to be proved correct.

There lots written about the Just a day video, which I had completely forgotten was from a pre YouTube world.

The small child drumming in the original…

grew up and is now a drummer.

1 Like

Me and my wife went to see Feeder in Cardiff in a tiny venue about 10 years ago. Everyone just went mental to this.

I love the bit in the video when the guy rips his curtain down.

1 Like

For me it’s the umbrella popping.

Saw them in Brixton many years ago. Decided I’m going again whenever I can.

(Also they are one of the bewildering number of bands from my youth now appearing on the CBeebies show Yolanda’s band jam, which is the closest thing the Beeb currently has to top of the pops.)

1 Like

Sexiest band to come out of the UK in years (for me) is a tie between Physics House Band and Snapped Ankles. PHB is an instrumental math outfit and they’re incredible. Snapped Ankles is abrasive post-wave. Both come highly recommended with the usual caveats (I tend to favour music with a heavy dose of harmonic dissonance).

1 Like

As I am sitting on our tiny terrace once again listening to my favorites (Will To Power, Resist) I’m realizing that is easier for me to spend my vacation at home than miss 4 beer& rain-soaked-no-fucks-given days of festival…

2 Likes

A friend on my discord posted this and I liked it :slight_smile: