What are you cooking?

I’m clearly not busy enough at work this week!

Falafel and spicy hummus.

8 Likes

We made garlic bread from a video I saw on YouTube

Slow roast a head of garlic and a couple of shallots for a couple of hours. Blitz with butter and spread on the bread. Top with mozzarella, chilli and oregano

7 Likes

First attempt at smash patty bacon cheeseburgers.

7 Likes

Today I have made the YouTube sensation Birria tacos…

Seared off some skirt steak, ox cheek and beef rib

Fried, then soaked dried chilli, onion, tomato and garlic before blitzing that up.

Beef goes back in the pan with the chilli mix, tins of tomatoes, beef stock and spices (cinnamon, all spice, pepper, oregano and bay leaves).

Cook for 4 hours…

Pull the beef apart

Soak tacos in the liquid left in the pan. Into a hot frying pan, loads with mozzarella and beef. Fold, cook for 2 minutes, flip and cook until crisp

Dip into more of the sauce, eat with it dripping down your arms.

Quite possibly the best thing I’ve ever cooked.

9 Likes

my partner is drooling
(i have a beef allergy and am wondering if it would still be good with pork somehow)

one big criticism: how can you post this and not include the youtube link to the sensation :wink: I suppose it is this one?

5 Likes

I guarantee you could do something very similar with pork and have it still be good. You might want to adjust the flavorings slightly since pork is a different taste and the cooking time would probably be a bit different.

3 Likes

Would definitely work with pork. I’d use a shoulder.

Traditionally you use goat

4 Likes

Not cooking anything for a few days, as Happy Cow tells me that Lisbon has 43 restaurants and shops which are 100% vegan :heart_eyes: :yum:

7 Likes

That’s a significant improvement over last time I was in Lisbon (2007), when the only place I could get decent vegetarian food was a Hare Krishna canteen!

4 Likes

Zinger burgers tonight, courtesy of Andy Cooks on YouTube

Could have been braver with the chilli in the supercharger mayo but it was marvellous

7 Likes

Gnocchi. I bought the pesto because it’s a local shop that makes it and it’s named after the the hill one over Turmberg Pesto.

Also got this sourdough Dinkelbrot recipe from a friend and I’ve been practicing. the best thing about it is that there are just 2 steps required (more or less) and no yeast at all and almost no wheat (I’m using my wheat starter finally). No machine kneading either and it’s working with or without cast iron pot. Excellent every day bread.

10 Likes

Giving this old smoking thing a go

And making use of the fire pit whilst waiting

8 Likes

Some more YouTube inspired food last night, reverse seared ribs of beef, topped with cowboy butter when seared.

Really great way to cook beef through.

9 Likes

Seems to be going well so far

No idea how long to keep going though. Keeping an eye on temps and assuming that longer is better!

5 Likes

I smoke brisket and pork shoulder for about 8 hours

I’d recommend taking the brisket off with 2-3 hours to go and wrapping it in foil. Add some liquid like beer, mustard and a bit of butter.

It steams the brisket for the final 2 hours of smoking and makes the meat much moister

4 Likes

Do you have a meat thermometer? As far as I know, you really need one for smoking stuff for hours. You want to check the core temperature of your meat. Because some pieces take 8 hours some may take much longer depending on … stuff. I am not the grillmaster here but I am sure that‘s what my partner would say.

1 Like

I do, but I’m not sure I know what temps I need to reach!

My partner is trying to guess what you have there on your BBQ. He assumes one of those is just roast pork? It really depends.
If this is roast pork he says you want to reach 65° and 75° degree inside. The higher the quality of the meat the earlier you can decide it is done. 70°C ideally.

Meat loaf if that is the other one is also 70°C.

1 Like

Pork shoulder and a chunk of beef of some sort. Both nearing 65 at the moment.

2 Likes

Well done beef is 77 C
Pork is 63 C to be cooked

2 Likes