What are you cooking?

@Mintochris Listen to the local grillmaster :slight_smile: Judging from the photos in this thread… he knows what he is doing.

My partner is now a bit flustered: „the internet told me that pork needs to be higher temp. My gut also tells me.“

We have this really good butcher who makes dry aged pork (I may have previously written about that) and that is done at 55° … but other than that my partner grills pork to a higher core temperature.

How did you arrive at the 63° ?

1 Like

It’s on my Bluetooth thermometer app, although that’s probably for a pork chop.

Hot smoke should be 80c

2 Likes

Pork is moist and tasty.
The beef dried out a bit over the first 20 mins but still tastes good. Planning to use leftovers in a slow cooked chilli.

8 Likes

Pizza from the Pizza Bible. The dough recipe is really good and the tomatoes sauce as well. now all we need is an actual pizza oven for perfection.

Yesterday I made the nectarine sorbet and the dried apricot and pistachio ice cream from The Perfect Scoop. Both very simple recipes that mostly need a blender. I have a churning machine that chills the icecream which makes it even easier.

Enjoying with one of the very first summer evenings we got this year.

7 Likes

I’d thoroughly recommend an Ooni. We use our loads

1 Like

We just visited a friend who has one. It was really good pizza. We plan on getting one … eventually. Even the results from my oven were pretty good with this recipe. But yeah. We already have a spot reserved for it on the terrace :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Goatburgers happened again!

I’ve made them occasionally, but yesterday I had an actual barbecue, such I haven’t had since 2019 (many of the guests come by public transport, but since things have stopped getting better on the COVID front, I see no point putting it off any longer).

Mixing in progress. We have a subcontinental shop not too far away which will sell us goat if we make it clear that yes, we do actually want goat and we’re not trying to trap them in something.

Apply fire.

Bun: model’s own.

Hoping for crumbs.

6 Likes

I prepped this overnight and baked it today. Very nice!

(My sister sent me the URL, and said she prefers to use 1/4 self-raising flour and 3/4 plain flour.)

4 Likes

A joint effort by me and Mrs Mintochris to make an event cake for her sister. She asked for a tree stump.

Chocolate sponge, Nutella icing, sticky sponge moss, dark chocolate bark, chocolate soil, and Nutella dust. Plus fruit to hide a multitude of sins.

10 Likes

Wow that looks impressive. How long did it take you to make this?

The various bits were prepared and refrigerated or frozen over the course of a week in the evenings after work. Final assembly was about 30 mins on site.

1 Like

After encountering a carrot/ginger hummus in a supermarket on holiday, finding it was even better than I was imagining, and thinking “why does no one sell this back home?!” I made my first attempt at replicating it tonight. I very simply added grated carrots and ginger to my regular recipe. It wasn’t nearly enough ginger, and it was late, so I threw in some crushed ginger from a jar. Still needs more ginger (apparently it’s difficult to over-ginger this!), and probably needs more carrot as well, but nevertheless it’s tasty and I’m pretty happy with it as a first try!

7 Likes

That sounds interesting, although I’d feel tempted to omit the chickpeas, and just blend ginger, carrot and garlic.

4 Likes

I’ve finally sourced some appropriate sodium hydroxide and so can do pretzels the proper way. The difference between the bicarb way and this is night and day.

So an Austrian themed feast was in order!

9 Likes

Those pretzels look awesome

5 Likes

My invitation seems to have been lost in the mail.

2 Likes

I would eat multiple of those Bretzel :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been busy again now the sun is back out.

Spicy chicken with Korean BBQ sauce and fries.

And mixed BBQ of smokey coley, chilli prawns, and German chilli bratwurst (obviously) with goats cheese salad.

8 Likes

BBQ beef, Austrian potato salad (minus the chives as I forgot to buy them), and the best broccoli that ever existed. The broccoli might even be the best food I’ve ever had. Melt butter in olive oil, add salt, pepper, dried garlic pieces and a bit of soy. Coat tenderstem broccoli liberally. Cook on very hot BBQ and the oil/butter will set on fire after a couple of mins. keep the broccoli in the flames as long as you dare without burning. Close the lid of the BBQ (if it has one) whenever possible to keep in the flavour from the burning fats.

8 Likes

My Sunday project has been garlic and olive bread.

Along with making veg stock and then improvising a soup with whatever was in the fridge and some smoked paprika.

9 Likes