Victorious (Mike Stewart)

@Riddles takes on Victorious, Mike Stewart’s OSR game of steampunk superheroes.

Session 0: Over the Threshold for a Hopeless Character: Character generation. Real men don’t need editors.

Session 1: Aim for the Gut: An incident is happening! We chuff to the rescue.

Session 2: Experimenting in the Bedroom: Who could have been interfering with Dr Jekyll’s corpse? The ideas get increasingly bizarre.

Session 3: The Docks of Soho: Onwards! Across a slightly twisted version of London.

Session 4: Doctor Fatty To You: The world has not heard the last of that veritable Napoleon of crime.

Session 5: Knocked Over by the Force of the Vomit: Onwards to more adventure! (But first, levelling up.)

Session 6: Brian Blessed in a BDSM Club: With rules hacked and clarified, we proceed with the fight.

Session 7: Probably a Nonconformist: More clues! We could even try solving the mystery rather than just bashing things.

Session 8: A Faceful of Train: The fight at the orphanage continues. They should have chosen healthier parents.

Session 9: It’s Slobbering Time: A clue! Is it good to eat?

Session 10: The Train Now Arriving At Platform Pain: Only a little bit of attacking each other as we make some progress in tracking down the bad guys.

Session 11: Vomit Cone: Can we get to the church on time? Sadly, no.

Session 12: A Veritable Marshal Ney of Crime: And hardly any innocent victims at all. (Most people are guilty of something.)

Session 13: The Bleed Through Tweed: The triumphant conclusion! No orphans were harmed during the recording of this episode.

5 Likes

There’s a very good gaming hiding under the layout and editing, waiting for someone to make a definitive rules reference sheet so it can emerge.

3 Likes

Agreed. I’m loving the background, I’ve (as usual) played fast and lose with the starting scenario which is a good intro to the game, but if there ever was a rpg that screamed “edit me, and give me an index!” this is it!

7 Likes

Ooh, all this and the return of Mr. Biceps. :smiley:

2 Likes

Nothing highlights my creative apathy more than telling me to create a superhero :grin:

2 Likes

Mr. B deserves another shot at heroism. In the 1800s he won’t be mistaken for a Father For Justice.

1 Like

Session 1: Aim for the Gut: An incident is happening! We chuff to the rescue.

5 Likes

Session 2: Experimenting in the Bedroom: Who could have been interfering with Dr Jekyll’s corpse? The ideas get increasingly bizarre.

3 Likes

After a few weeks it became pretty apparent that something wasn’t working, so we took a look at the rules, the published errata and some of Troll Lord Games’ other rulebooks to see if we could sort it out. We now have corrections for the experience and Victory Point rules, along with clarifications and a few agreed interpretations for some other areas.

The core system is very straightforward, basically an Attribute Check where a D20 roll is added to the relevant Attribute Modifier, Character Level and other bonuses/penalties, then compared to a “Challenge Class” (i.e. Difficulty Level) or to Armour Class for combat, with the aim being to roll equal to or higher than the target. Nothing especially convoluted or difficult there, but some of the information is buried and only briefly mentioned, some is contradicted by other parts of the text, and a few bits don’t seem to make mechanical sense.

At this stage I think we’ve got the hang of the actual intention behind the rules even if a couple of points still need discussing, so we’ve been working on a quick reference sheet for everyone to have to hand and making sure that we all understand how the powers are supposed to work.

Fun game in need of a new edition.

2 Likes

Since I have no nostalgia for basic D&D I wouldn’t start there building a superhero system. But I do like the setting.

2 Likes

Yes. Loving the setting. The rules arguments are ongoing, to put it mildly :roll_eyes:

In case anyone’s wondering what Mr Biceps looks like, imagine Nigel Davenport here wearing a bright red singlet and tights combination with a gold wreath emblem on the chest.

4 Likes

Session 3: The Docks of Soho: Onwards! Across a slightly twisted version of London.

2 Likes

Session 4: Doctor Fatty To You: The world has not heard the last of that veritable Napoleon of crime.

2 Likes

Session 5: Knocked Over by the Force of the Vomit: Onwards to more adventure! (But first, levelling up.)

4 Likes

This should have been the name of a Bond film. It’s got everything! Excitement! Intrigue! Semi-digested food!

2 Likes

The Man with the Golden Gut.

No Time to Diet.

Chunderball.

A Spew to a Kill.

The Hurl is Not Enough.

You Only Heave Twice.

3 Likes

Spoonraker

Dr. No… sious (like nauseous)

Piefall

The Pylorus Who Loved Me