V-Commandos: Helmet

Enemy movement

is northwards (from the event card). The three enemies in this part of the map don’t move; neither do any of the ones on triangular markers.

Enemy fire

doesn’t happen.

Turn 2

Event phase

Commando phase

OK, so we’ll get four more enemies down here whatever happens…

Can you break down that “four more enemies” for me? Two more will enter, and three of them will move south, as best I understand it? One will stay on the triangle?

By “down here” I meant “in the eastern section of the map”, which wasn’t clear.

Assuming we kill the two in the large room, we get two more (three total) in the western small room, and two more in the large room, one of whom locks onto the objective marker and the other of whom moves south*. (Using a saved action to shoot him after he enters but before he moves is clearly a good plan.)

* unless we get very unlucky and draw two special enemies, in which case they’d both move south.

That makes sense. Could the officer please start the shooting?

If he uses Assault, 2 actions get 3 shots, as opposed to the 2 shots they’d normally get. Probably worth doing.

I get 3 actions, right? So use my first action to shoot open the door, then Assault so we all get to shoot the baddies.

Then one person can move, shoot the remaining baddie, then return south, and the third person move, trigger objective, and return. Or would picking up an item be better than shooting?

@RogerBW asked for a die roll:
Picking up items is free, as is transferring them between us.
OK, Officer shoots the door [1, automatic success], then does Assault. Three of us shoot 2-die weapons, which I’ll roll all together; to-hit is 2.
6d6: 3 + 6 + 4 + 6 + 1 + 2 = 22

No problem. They drop a Spotted token and a grenade.
Medic moves north and becomes visible (which triggers the alarm) [1], shoots W needing 4+ [1], and moves S [1] to become stealthy again.
2d6: 5 + 6 = 11

That enemy drops another grenade.
Bruno moves N, trips the objective, moves S. (I’ve assigned the grenade to him for the moment.)
I’ve lightened the background for better contrast.

Enemy phase

Reinforcements

(I’m rolling on the computer here for 1 vs 2)

• N: enemy-2-hammer
    enemy-1
  • S: enemy-2-hammer
    zero
  • E: enemy-1
    zero
  • W: enemy-1
    enemy-2

Normally at this point we would decide whether or not to shoot the south-moving enemies before they potentially see us, but because there’s only one in the big tile he locks onto the objective and doesn’t move. There’s no advantage in shooting him with a saved action now vs doing it at some point before the next enemy phase, and we should have better information then.

Enemy shooting

No commando is visible.

Last thing, the cable car moves.

Turn 3

Event phase

That’s actually unhelpful; when we move out again the alarm will go off, and we’re stuck with it for the rest of this terrain.

Three actions gets each of us from where we are into the cable car. One of us spends an action on the switch; the other two shoot, I guess.

I propose I start with: Shoot N, move N, wall-hop into the cable car, save, Expect to use that saved action to shoot N, but keep it in reserve in case we need something else.

I am thinking I move N, throw grenade W, move W, pick up grenade, then used saved action to move S. Sound good, or should I save the grenade?

I would be inclined to use the grenade. The noise doesn’t lose us anything, and 4 dice vs two 4+ targets is significantly better than 2.

OK, so:

• Bruno shoot N [1], move N [1], wall-hop into cable car [1]
  • Officer move N [1], grenade or shoot W [1], move W [1], move S [1 saved]
  • Medic move N [1], activate objective [1], move W [1], move S [1 saved]

?

I will use the grenade, and pick up the other one on my way through. Plan is good.

Commando phase

Bruno shoot N [1]

2d6: 1 + 5 = 6 needing 2+

That enemy is killed, and drops a crowbar, which I’ll assume Bruno picks up.
The alarm is active again.
Bruno moves N [1], wall-hops into cable car [1]

Officer

moves N [1], grenade W [1]
4d6: 3 + 4 + 1 + 1 = 9 needing 4+

That kills one enemy; he drops a Spotted token, and with another enemy in the same space the Officer would be spotted… if he weren’t already visible anyway.

OK, what do you want to do? You have one regular action left, plus the saved one. If you move W and S as before, you’ll take a single shot from the surviving enemy at 2+, possibly thereby losing your final action. Then you’d become stealthy again from the move, so you wouldn’t take a further shot on the way south. I’m not sure there are good options here.

Ah, why couldn’t the reroll 1’s be the event for this turn? Since I am liable to get shot if I move and be unable to move into the cable car anyway, I may as well shoot at him, hopefully take him out, and then move west into stealth.

Rightoh, looking for 4+:
2d6: 6 + 4 = 10

Overkill!!