V-Commandos: Helmet

Turn 16

which is fine as far as it goes, but means we don’t know what they’ll be doing…

The Bombardments are unlikely to be useful, since they need an outdoor tile to work. A grenade should clear the big tile, but without saved actions we can’t get out of it to the south.

Something like this should work:

Officer: N, grenade E, save. The grenade should get 3-4 of the 5 enemies there.
Medic: N, shoot E, save.
Bruno: Wall-hop E, turn off alarm, S.

With the alarm off, we only get 1 enemy from the N and E entrances. The one from the N can be shot with saved actions.

Yes, except that

• the grenade won’t do anything about the locked door
  • turning off the alarm doesn’t help if you’re in a large tile (and therefore visible); it just turns on again
  • we had to burn our saved actions to make it to the cable car this turn. So we don’t have a response ready if the newcomers spot us. That might be worth doing even so.

Staying where we are and saving actions isn’t ideal, but might be worth considering.

That’s a problem. Staying still may be the best bet.

And if the new enemy from the north moves south, he can’t get into the cable car cabin because it’s full of us.

I’m convinced. @COMaestro?

We still have our German uniforms, right? So instead of grenade, why don’t both of you move N, shoot E, then save and I can move N and Assault. We would likely take out everyone with all of those shots, and you both would have +1 for incoming reinforcements. We would also be able to enter the large tile without setting off the alarm in the uniforms.

You’re a bit ahead of yourself. The question is if we should stay in the cable car for a turn to build up saved actions.

I don’t think I am ahead of myself at all, though I can see that my post could be interpreted as us entering the large tile this turn, what I mean is for us to enter it the next turn, and just eliminate all the enemies on it this turn. Bruno and the Medic would have +1’s which could be used to eliminate the reinforcement from the N as soon as it enters.

Though I do suppose if someone gets spotted, the uniform will be lost. So sure, we can delay a turn in the car for the +1, as long as we are not running out of enemy tokens.

7 enemies on the board = 40 enemy tokens in the bag right now, so that shouldn’t be a problem. (But I must continue to remind myself that we’re in uniform, so we don’t automatically trip alarms in large spaces.)

OK, turn 16 we sit and catch our breath.
Enemy reinforcements (N E S W):
enemy-2
enemy-2
enemy-1
enemy-2
Event card for movement:

and again

Turn 17

OK, the event doesn’t do much for us. Bruno can wall-hop into the large room. We presumably use the grenade in the large room. Hmm. Medic shoot, N, shoot E, S; officer N, grenade E, S; Bruno E, open door, S? That leaves most of us still in the cable car, though; I’m sure there’s a better answer.

There are six enemies in the large room, so we can’t reply on 6 dice of attacks getting them all. Hum…

Medic gives Bruno his Bombardment, takes grenade from Officer (free actions), goes N, grenades E, shoots E, saves. If enemies remain to the E, officer goes N and either shoots or Assaults, depending on how many are left, and saves. If it’s an Assault, the medic gets another shot. If there’s a dropped crowbar, Bruno gets it and blocks the E entrance, and Medic and Officer move E. If there is no crowbar, Medic and Officer move S, and Bruno wall-hops E, turns off the alarm, opens the door S, and moves S.

And if we’re lucky there is no alarm because we’re all still in uniform.

The grenade will set off the alarm, presumably?

Whoops, my plan neglected the enemy to the N. Try this:

Medic gives Bruno his Bombardment, takes grenade from Officer (free actions), shoots N, goes N, grenades E, saves. Officer goes N and either shoots or Assaults, depending on how many are left, and saves. If it’s an Assault, the medic gets another shot.

If there’s a dropped crowbar, Bruno gets it, blocks the E entrance, and turns off the alarm; Medic and Officer move E. If there is no crowbar, Medic and Officer move S, and Bruno wall-hops E, turns off the alarm, opens the door S, and moves S.

Better?

Yes, the grenade will set off the alarm.

I think this works. COMaestro?

I think it’s the best we are likely to manage. Let’s do it.

@RogerBW asked for a die roll:
Medic gives bombardment to Bruno, takes grenade from Officer.
Medic shoots N:
2d6: 5 + 3 = 8 for a 4+

@RogerBW asked for a die roll:
Drops: spotted (no effect).
Medic moves N, throws grenade E:
4d6: 4 + 3 + 6 + 1 = 14 for 2+

I’ll take out the 3, 2 and 2. Drops are grenade, crowbar, first aid. Alarm is sounding.

Officer moves N. And has some options.

• assault - 4 dice into the large tile (officer+medic), then use +1AP to retreat to the cable car
  • shoot, shoot again - still 4 dice into the large tile, then use +1AP to retreat to the cable car
  • shoot with MG42 - 4 dice into the large tile, becoming visible and losing uniform effect. But can then shoot with another 4 dice if the first 4 don’t clear it, then use +1AP to retreat to and hide in the cable car. This does mean that the alarm will sound again when he runs through the large tile, though.