Twilight Struggle tournament - sign-up closes on december 24!

Rematch for a tie then? Or Playdek rules, I guess. I actually don’t hate Wargame ties being a win for the player who didn’t play Wargames, its only the arbitrary gift of a win to US on a final scoring tie that seems off.

I’d prefer if everyone got to play a few games before a knockout, otherwise it’s just one game for half the players, which doesn’t feel very tournament-like for half the participants!

That’s my problem with that too, but I haven’t figured out yet how to solve a 3/4-way tie in a group stage.

I’m now reading https://us.humankinetics.com/blogs/excerpt/understanding-tournaments-and-leagues to see which types of tournament structures there are (a lot apparently!). I like the sound of the multilevel one. Everybody gets to play the same amount of games in it, although you still could get into a situation of 3-way ties (unless we have 8, 16, or 32 players to begin with).

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if we got much more interest than already expressed in this thread. 8 players?

I counted 9 already, although I’m not a 100% sure that @lalunaverde is in or not. And I wanted to give others at least a bit more time to join if they haven’t been online the last few days. But we can start earlier too, if we don’t expect many more to have an interest.

Re ties in games:

Playdek rules seem fine with me on Wargames, but with the exception that a tie on final scoring means a rematch (in the unlikely scenario that comes up).

1 Like

Bah! Im in :joy:

4 Likes

I’d quite like to join, but I am hesitant because of my lack of self-control over ‘your turn’ alerts on my phone when I have other things going on.

I can make a tournament recommendation, though, which is to run it as a Swiss tournament (with maybe 4 rounds). Swiss tournaments are used in chess all the time. Here’s what you get:

• everyone plays the same number of games in total
  • by the end, the best players are playing one another, so you get something a lot like a knock-out final
  • all the games in one round are played until they all end, then the next round starts
  • you generally play other people who have the same score as you so far, so you’ll always get a game with someone of a similar skill level in the end
  • it copes with draws well, if that matters (draws are common in chess, but I think very rare in TS)
  • there’s plenty of software to help with managing the pairings, but it’s also not too hard to do manually
  • everyone gets a final score, so if you care you can see your overall standing
4 Likes

Feel welcome to join the tournament, but no problem if you skip to focus on things more important than boardgames (I’m gonna get banned for saying that on a boardgame forum, aren’t I?).

Regarding the tournament recommendation: I really like it. Just one question: In the unlikely scenario @Benkyo doesn’t destroy all of us and wins all of his games, what should we do in case there are multiple people with 3 wins after 4 games? Or do we just declare all of those persons as winners?

2 Likes

There are various tiebreak systems, or sometimes playoffs. If two players tie, normally their head to head score is a good tiebreak.

Sorry for the late reaction. My country entered a second lockdown and was working on my thesis, so thsi tournament wasn’t at the front of my mind.

Tiebreaks
A tiebreak between 2 people based on their H2H score seems good, but I just like the idea of a grand finale between the top 2 players in that case. So I’ll opt for that. (just imagine accidentally starting a nuclear war in that game).
For the tiebreak between 3 people I would go for calculating the amount of wins their opponents have gathered at the end, so the player who beat the strongest opponents is considered the winner in that scenario. If two people tie after that, they face off in a final match.
I.e.: If player A defeated three players who won 0, 1 and 2 games, they would be awarded 3 points for the tiebreak.
Player B’s opponents got 1, 1 and 2 wins, so they get 4.
Player C’s opponents got 1, 2 and 2 wins, so they get 5 points. Player C would be crowned winner.
Four player tiebreak (seems unlikely, but hey, it’s 2020!): same as with three players. Only exception: if three players are still tied after the tiebreak, all four initially tied players play in a semi final and final to make sure we have a winner.

And because @Benkyo seems to be right and there aren’t a lot more people joining, I’ll give a rundown of the tournament rules.

1. I’ll post the first round match-ups on this topic on the 24th of december, 6pm GMT. Joining or leaving is still possible until then of course. Just post here on the topic or send me a private message.
  2. The tournament style is a swiss system, which in a nutshell is that everyone plays the same amount of games, you always play someone with roughly the same win/loss-ration up to that point and you never meet the same opponent twice. I think I found a nice free site to handle this for me, but I’ll check in the coming days.
  3. We’ll play 4 rounds (5 seems at bit much, although it will reduce the chance of tiebreaks happening).
  4. We’ll be playing on the Playdek app, seems to be the easiest way to do it by far.
  5. Set the time per game to 21 days per player, but with the kind request to try to finish earlier to keep the tournament moving :slight_smile:
  6. We’ll play with the optional cards. the Plus-symbol in the app, it should be on automatically, if I’m not mistaken.
  7. Random side selection, but US gets a starting bonus of +2 influence.
  8. When you finish a game, post the result here or send me a DM. Match commentary is welcomed (I can’t wait to read about all the unlucky dice rolls and accidental nuclear winters you’ll encounter).
  9. If I have all the results of a round, I’ll post the new standings and next rounds matches.
  10. Winner is the person with the most wins after 4 rounds or, in case of ties, see the tiebreak rules above.
  11. Winner will get eternal glory and maybe a badge on the forum, if @RogerBW can do that.
  12. Most importantly, enjoy!

Time management:
If you’ve got a busy day to day schedule, my tip would be to discuss with your opponent if there’s a period when you could play a few turns back to back. And if someone hasn’t responded for a few days, you could always send them a gentle reminder it’s their turn.

If anything is unclear, is missing or could be improved, please comment below.
And if something goes wrong during the tournament, just post it in here or send a DM.

That’s it for now!

2 Likes

Silly question, (not sure if joining) we can take a turn leave and check back a few minutes later. We don’t have to be online at exactly the same time.

Yes. Your timer runs down when it is your turn, but a 21 day timer means there isn’t much time pressure! A flurry of turns when you are both online is nice, but a few days off isn’t a problem.

Mobile notifications and emails can let you know when you are up.

2 Likes

Sign me up then @qwertysoldier

1 Like

Will do! :slight_smile:

Can you add me in please!! Sounds fun

5 Likes

Hi @jraven90, welcome to the boards. Have you played much TS?

Noted, you’re now part of the “Benkyo’s cannon fodder”-list!

4 Likes

Yeah played a bit on the app and on steam, only one game in real life.
I doubt i’m amazing, pretty much always play against AI.

1 Like

haha sounds good. I’m sure you found a suitable website for the swiss pairings but if not Challonge is used quite often.

1 Like

Just checking, but my list of participants, as of right now is:

1. @DJCT
  2. qwertysoldier
  3. @Benkyo
  4. @Whistle_Pig
  5. @Captbnut
  6. @LalunaVerde
  7. @RossM
  8. @chewy77
  9. @COMaestro
  10. @jraven90

For Whistle_pig, jraven90 and RossM, are your playdek-names the same as on the forum?

And for @chrislear, just wanted to check if you want to participate. No hard feelings if you don’t, of course, but I rather ask you again to make sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My name on the TS app is sianus.

3 Likes