Twilight Imperium 4th Edition: PBF GAME 1

Forgot that it’s not a simple clockwise sequence. Cheers I’ll shut up.

2 Likes

Hey, bonus points for trying to get the ball rolling! Good on ya!

2 Likes

GeeBizzle >>> takes card 7, Technology
COMaestro >>> takes card 3, Politics
Captbnut >>> takes card 2, Diplomacy
Marx >>> takes card 6, Warfare
MIIGHTYSploosh >>> takes card 5, Trade
GabrielH >>> takes card 1, Leadership

Yes, it goes in card order. Does anyone remember if player seating matters?
So… for now
@GabrielH is first
and then @Captbnut is next
everyone else, you can send me what you plan to do if something (a player does) doesn’t affect your upcoming turn… I will still post in turn order and will let you know if a previous action might affect your orders.

Can someone (either on the thread or by PM) just talk me through the rhythm of a turn please?

I watched the teach video and my understanding is that I have the chance to use the secondary ability of each card (primary of the one I’ve chosen). Is that correct?

I believe I need to use command tokens to do that. How many command tokens do I have now? Is it generally one per action?

If that is right, is there any reason not to spend all my tokens each turn? It looked from the video as though I also need to use tokens to move ships and activate systems. My take from the video is that was different (and before) the strategy cards, but is moving and battling all part of this?

I want to get this nailed down because this is going to be a long game.

2 Likes

Oh, it’s my turn :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

So I noticed I didn’t have a Carrier on the board, but I should have one, so I guess I’ll move it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I’ll place a Tactics token on Accoen/Jeol Ir system, and move in the (invisible) Carrier with four Infantry, deploying two infantry to invade each planet.

(also, I think there should be a Frontier token on the Creuss Gate, and shouldn’t be one on Hope’s End? Or is that an exception?)

Let’s see if I can explain:
(partly in an attempt to be helpful, partly to check my own knowledge :stuck_out_tongue: )

So, on your turn, you’ll do one of the following:

1. Use a token from the Tactics pool (upper section) to Move, Build, or Attack
  2. Use your Strategy Card
  3. Use anything else that says “Action:” on it
  4. Pass (when everyone has passed, the round ends)

Now Command tokens are separated into two groups, or “pools”; tokens in different pools have different uses. Ones taken from the Tactics (upper) pool are placed on the board to move, build, and attack. Ones in the Strategy (lower) pool are not used on your turn, but can be used for the Secondary ability of other people’s Strategy cards, as instructed on the card. (1 token per card, with the exception of Leadership, which uses Influence instead)

Tokens do not generally move between pools, so you’ll only have limited options. At the start of the game you have 2 Strategy and 3 Tactics, but it should be noted that these do not return; rather, and the end of each round (after everyone has passed) each player receives only 2 (much less than your starting 5!). In order to get more, you must have the Leadership Primary ability, or pay Influence to use it’s secondary. Consequently, you may want to pass before spending them all and save a token.

When getting tokens, they can be applied to either pool, so you’ll have to think ahead whether you’ll be using them for strategy or tactics. (I think you can also put them towards the Fleet (middle) pool, but that tends to be fairly stagnant)

Hopefully that’s helpful :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s great. Thanks

One more - so if I wanted I could use my strategy card before doing the tactical stuff? I take it I can’t split my tactical turn and use a strategy card in the middle?

Another one! If I want to use a secondary action of someone else’s card, do I do that after they have used the primary action, or can I jump on to it at any point during my turn?

1 Like

So for those,

• The Strategy Card is an action, so you’ll either use a tactical token or a strategy card, never both

and

• The secondary abilities can only be done immediately after the primary ability is used, thus it will always be on someone else’s turn.
2 Likes

How do we propose to manage using another players secondary ability? (Sorry if this had already been stated)

Time limit if you want to use it or everyone has stated their intentions?

2 Likes

Cool. So I would use 1 tactical token, then it’s the next players’ turn. I don’t use all my tactics tokens and then pass?

1 Like

Yup and we go around taking an action till everyone passes or runs out of moves.

2 Likes

I think GeeBizzle did a great job explaining! It should be noted that once you pass, you do not get to later choose to do something: you have passed, you are done (I think the Yssaril have an exception to this? No, they used to, now they have an Action that sort of functions as a pass, right right… never mind).

Additionally, you must use the Primary Ability of your Strategy card before you pass. No exceptions. But it can be at any point during the round before you pass (your first turn, your last turn, anywhere in between).
And you can still use the Secondary Ability of other player’s Strategy cards after you pass.

@Delwayne frustratingly, using the secondary ability of a Strategy Card is in seating order. It does sometimes matter.

3 Likes

oops, sorry about that…

1 Like

@GabrielH
Everyone can correct me, but you are considered adjacent to that gate. Thus is would take you a turn to move there. You also cannot do a “partial move”. But you do have the Gravity Drive and thus your carrier is able to move two spaces.

You’ll be gaining 1 commodity
On the board, I’ll be using a “tap” feature to show exhausted cards.

2 Likes

Next up will be @Captbnut
There may be a slight delay these next few turns… seems I need to re-arrange some of my files to make it easier in finding things! For me, that took too long to process that single persons turn because I had to find the files to paste…

4 Likes

Okay, wait, I’m confused. I thought you needed that new Yellow Tech to explore?

The tech is to “re-explore”.
When you take control of a planet, you get a free explore.

1 Like

What is the system to the right of my starting system please?

It’s just empty space.

1 Like

It is just open space. That is an exploration token.