Traveller (Mongoose)

Roger’s been meaning to run this for a while – it feels like the good stuff from the original Traveller rules minus a bunch of the clunkiness.

Session 0: A Rival or an Enemy: Character generation. Just like the old days, except you no longer die before entering play.

Session 1: Saving Up To Get New Thumbs: Finishing off character generation, and after eight years (and about an hour and twelve minutes) the paperwork has finally come through…

Session 2: A Long Way Between Ways To Die: Well, when we say the ship is ready for you, there are just a few little details.

Session 3: Chekov’s Hamster-Analogue: Up the mountain. Air/rafts would surely be easier.

Session 4: A Cheese-Shaped Beacon of Hope: You know how we said the volcano was extinct? Yeah.

Session 5: A Sufficiency of Twitching: A short session finishing off this adventure. Whose paw will be bruised?

Session 6: A Sip of the Indifferent Stuff: On the abandoned world of Mithril… where is everyone?

Session 7: The Illusion of Competence: Dice luck? Who needs dice luck?

6 Likes

I’m with Roger, a blank piece of paper is best for character generation. 1980s child me is booing those using interactive character sheets.

2 Likes

One slight exception for MGT specifically: it’s handy to have a list of the skills with their subskills, because the generation system will say “Engineering” and you have to pick which sort of Engineering it’s going into. But while I like to be able to strip stuff into a PDF form for play, I don’t use it for generation.

1 Like

By the time Nick showed up I was wondering how long it would take the guys to realize they should be getting skill rolls every time they succeeded at Advancement. Now that Nick is into his career history I’m wondering how long it’s going to take them to realize they never gave Nick his homeworld skills . . .

1 Like

There is more to the character generation than got well-recorded. But, er, @Lordof1, you might want to check that…

My what now?

The Traveller crew, ready to launch.

8 Likes

Ooh nice, will have to give this a listen. I want to run the Mongoose Traveller 2e’s starter set adventure -The Fall of Tinath - soon.

Session 1: Saving Up To Get New Thumbs: Finishing off character generation, and after eight years (and about an hour and twelve minutes) the paperwork has finally come through…

3 Likes

Session 2: A Long Way Between Ways To Die: Well, when we say the ship is ready for you, there are just a few little details.

2 Likes

Poor Shim, he appears to be the only one not playing it for laughs! Actually, poor Roger, too. I mean, I assume he actually wanted to referee the adventure, but it’s almost de-railed before it got started!

1 Like

We got there eventually. The Whartson Method is to extract the maximum enjoyment per page of the adventure.

2 Likes

We’re mostly gaming to wind down at the end of stressful days. Any roleplaying which occurs is usually coincidental but, honestly, we all really enjoy ourselves, and that’s why we still do it after all these years.

4 Likes

Session 3: Chekov’s Hamster-Analogue: Up the mountain. Air/rafts would surely be easier.

3 Likes

Session 4: A Cheese-Shaped Beacon of Hope: You know how we said the volcano was extinct? Yeah.

4 Likes

Session 5: A Sufficiency of Twitching: A short session finishing off this adventure. Whose paw will be bruised?

2 Likes

Session 6: A Sip of the Indifferent Stuff: On the abandoned world of Mithril… where is everyone?

2 Likes

They delved too hunrgily, too deep…

1 Like

Session 7: The Illusion of Competence: Dice luck? Who needs dice luck?

2 Likes

Just catching up on this. If I was using a Traveller to GURPS translation (as discussed at the end). I’d make 18 y.o. characters be, say, 100 points and then add 25 points per term served.

2 Likes