Topic of the Week: Your other hobbies

Nothing (well, loaded question… but… let’s say “Nothing” for argument’s sake); they’re just not my team. :slight_smile:

I’ve had family in and out of Colorado most of my life (currently nobody living there, but that’s likely to change as my dad is looking to move back). My dad has been a Broncos fan for a long time (since before I was born). And then independently, I was didn’t really start watching football until my early 20s and my best friend at the time was a Broncos fan. I had always avoided watch (NFL) football because I didn’t like the structure of it. But back in the early 2000s, the Broncos were really good at having a running game, an aspect that I learned I really enjoyed when watching. Incidentally, this is why the Steelers are my second team, because at the same time they had an astoundingly good running game among some other great aspects.

Also, my two favorite colors are orange and blue (these were established before becoming a football fan).

So, all-in-all, it just feels natural to cheer for the Broncos, even though they haven’t had a running game in over a decade (I’ve seen small slivers of hope recently though)

EDIT: also, I lived in Denver for a while

3 Likes

Virginia McCaskey will be 101 next month. When she dies, her children are likely to sell, and the bears might get an owner who wants to win, at least once.

2 Likes

If that happens they won’t be the Bears.

3 Likes

Cricket: reading and listening, not watching or playing.
TTRPGs: mostly GURPS, and old types of D&D.
Music: classical, jazz and early metal/heavy rock.
Reading: SF, history and computing.
Cooking: constantly tweaking the ways I feed myself.

7 Likes

They USED to be a winning team in the 80s. Coached by Ditka and had players like Mike Singletary, Walter Payton, Jim McMahon and, of course, William ‘The Refridgerator’ Perry!

(Incidentally, I forgot that The Fridge briefly played for the aforementioned London Monarchs!)

5 Likes

Reading - love to do it in lots of different genres. Sci fi, fantasy, alt history and other spec fix are high on the list; mysteries; “classics;” comic books in similar genres.

Lego - love them. Have a giant closet full of them. Tend to go in waves of build a bunch of stuff then take a break for a bit then decide I’m tired of what’s currently on display and build a bunch of stuff in some new theme. Currently pondering buildings or amusement park for my next theme to put on display.

Jigsaw puzzles - love them and have a large collection of keepers then others that I’ll get, do once, then move along to a new home. I think part of the appeal of both Lego and puzzles is doing them with part of my attention while listening to something (audiobook; podcast - typically board game or RPG actual play related; BBC Radio plays and comedy panel shows) with the rest of my attention.

Collecting Disney enamel trading pins - honestly “Disney,” especially if you include Star Wars and Marvel in that, could almost be its own hobby, but I’ll focus on the pin collection part. I trade by mail, organize my pins, and (like the Legos) put out displays of some theme for a bit then swap out for a new batch from my collection.

There are others, but those are the main ways that occupy my free time and discretionary budget outside of tabletop gaming.

10 Likes

AND he was made into a G.I. Joe figure!

2 Likes

I think this is probably true more generally, and may well be part of the reason why I (I like board games but have zero interest in tech stuff and less than zero interest in metal) don’t find board game conventions fun. Wrong sort of nerds!

(Another part of the reason turns out to be that I have very little interest in playing board games with people I don’t know - it’s the interaction with people I do know and care about that I enjoy.)

5 Likes

I’m very bad at wedging myself into a group, so usually I end up playing with people I know a bit but maybe don’t see very often. Fwiw the conversation rarely revolves round tech or metal iirc.

4 Likes

Gosh, I forgot archery in my teens! I used to go weekly to a club in the countryside with my brother for a good 3 or 4 years between being 15 and 18-19. I used compound bows, and when I started going to Uni the club fizzled out and we lost the lease on the field we were using. In later years I have dabbled on traditional longbow now and then (to the point that I bought a traditional longbow again when I recently moved to NZ) but I was not consistent enough.

To follow up with the NFL, I admit that I cannot stand a full game, same with baseball or cricket. For some reason, when I was a kid in the 80s I loved the Minnesota Vikings. later on in Uni (late 90s) to balance out that I like the Lakers from NBA (Magic Johnson is to blame there, playing always with that smile) I went East Coast with the New England Patriots. Little did I know that they will become such a massive team the next couple of decades…

3 Likes

Me too; I loved Children of Time and Children of Ruin, and am enjoying this one just as much.

3 Likes

Something crossed my mind, another collection. I LOVED (love) ski trail maps. Whenever my sister and I flew through a Rocky Mountain state, whether for skiing or not, we would mob the tourist kiosks and get every ski map we could. When actually skiing, I would study the map for days beforehand so I had the mountain memorized. They still have a special draw for me.

One of the most baffling and frustrating developments was this book, which has all the paintings of the mountains but without the trail markings. Just page after page after page of snow and trees?? Who is buying that without the maps on it?

I think there is a game in using the map and designing a ski resort, where you add the runs yourself. You gotta balance the need to build a ski run to attract visitors, with the need to build ammenities to get the investment back…

2 Likes

I think you could safely say that my hobbies are board games, gardening, and dabbling - I have a lot of abandoned or occasional hobbies and projects…

I have a couple of consistent-ish arty/crafty hobbies:

Too many in-progress embroidery projects

Some recent glass painting

I also like to read - mostly non-fiction at the moment but I have phases of reading fiction as well. I often listen to podcasts instead of reading because I can do other things at the same time. My current favourites are You’re dead to me, No such thing as a fish, Cautionary tales, and Revisionist history.

A sample of bookshelves

For exercise at the moment I do weightlifting and kickboxing, which makes me sound a lot scarier than I actually am!

The hobby graveyard
  • Cello
  • Oboe
  • Bellringing
  • Bouldering
  • Cycling
  • Ice skating
  • Volunteering
  • Gliding/light aviation
  • Geocaching
  • Hiking
  • Airfix
  • Photography
  • probably more that I’ve forgotten…
7 Likes

4 truly excellent podcasts!

2 Likes

OMG future topic. Photo of your bookshelf / movie shelf (if anyone still has one; mine ended up as a binder)

5 Likes

We do have a movie shelf, albeit almost entirely populated by DVDs that my husband bought.

2 Likes

My other hobbies!? An ex-partner of mine once said I had more hobbies than some people have hot meals.

This probably makes me a dilettante hobbyist.

Current hobbies: reading, making and painting models, photography, writing. Covid kind of put the kibosh on archery, though I hope to take that back up next spring (too cold now to start this year).

I used to be a keen cyclist, but… I now live in London, and it is difficult to motivate myself to go cycle around where I live.

12 Likes

looks casually across at you whilst smoking a cigarette And as for me? Well, I’ll show you. Come on.

Leads you down the street, past a shop filled with role-playing game books Come on, follow me.

Leads you further down the street, across the road, past a book shop This way! Come on.

Turns toward a football stadium Oh, no, wrong turn, this way, come on.

Leads you across out of the town, across a field filled with typewriters and half-finished novels Here, keep up, come on.

Through a wooded area with lots of people walking their dogs Come on, come on.

Eventually leads you up a narrow path to a small cottage; in the cottage there is a PC and an Xbox side by side. @Lordof1 looks proudly over at them.

This… this is where I grew up.

Smiles, then frowns, and looks angrily at you.

Okay, well, so… it’s not much of a hobby but… well… f**k you! I can live my own life the way I want to!

Stomps into the cottage muttering

Don’t come following me!

11 Likes

Finished!

I decided to frame it “properly”, which turned out to be more complicated than I anticipated

I had help

15 Likes