Topic of the Week: 1990-2005

Games from the period I “met” later and loved:
Bohnanza, Hive, Memoir '44, El Grande, Ra (didn’t like it at first), Battle Line / Schotten Totten, Tichu (for a long time I thought, "why play this Dalmuti knock-off?).

Games I came to later which are good:
Betrayal at House on the Hill, No Thanks, Robo Rally, Modern Art, Hey That’s My Fish, Railways of the World, Chinatown, Fury of Dracula, Monza

Games I played later and don’t care for:
Twilight Struggle, Alhambra, Bang! (It was fun for a while), Caylus, Tsuro (This one in particular I’m baffled how anyone enjoys it but hey, fill your boots), Tikal, Medici, Hacienda

Games still on the shelf of opportunity:
Condottiere - this has come to many game nights but never gets the nod. Still looking forward to it.

Brief notes:
Twilight Struggle: I think I could like this if I could sit down with someone else with zero exposure. It’s just really harsh to play this game across skill levels. Even then, though, the general feeling of too much to do and not enough time echoes the parts of my life I don’t want to reflect onto the table…

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Played once. Thought the concept was really cool. My household isn’t crazy about the horror theme, and it’s pretty well documented that the implementation here is inconsistent. How is it that nearly 20 years later there’s still no one who has done this better?

Fury of Dracula: Another one that is a little loose and too long, but no one has done it better. I bought it for $27 at the last reprint and then sold it a few years later for $150, not because I didn’t want it but I didn’t want it that much.

No Thanks: I’m intrigued by this game but I played with people who were obsessed, then frustrated, by trying to get a positive score. Haven’t been able to play again since. That’s not the game here!

El Grande: Just wow. What a game. Shame I missed this until years and years later. Glad it is on BGA but even then this one is easy to table. They don’t make games like this any more.

Man, this combined with my first post, I’ve really scraped this barrel.

5 Likes

Launching a sidebar here: I’m curious about what team we’re all on with regards to the old “trifecta:” Settlers, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride.

For 15-20 years these were the gold standard for introducing Monopoly players to our brighter world, and all three are still a presence. Did you come through one of these doors? Did you rely on one to build your own gaming group? Do any remain in your pantheon?

(If I had to choose, I’m on team Settlers. I know, it’s a small, radical fringe group but we aren’t dangerous.)

2 Likes

“We’re not GW honest” Mantic Games appears to have a Fantasy High Seas game - Featured - Mantic Games

The big things I remember from it are

1. Damage is applied to areas that affect your ship in logical ways
  2. The total sip count for a full game was small (I preferred games that were either small in scope or huge in scope {Epic 40k])
  3. The fleets were wildly different
2 Likes

Personally I think that everything except the “one of you will suddenly become a traitor, and you don’t know who it will be” part has been done better, by A Touch of Evil and Mansions of Madness among others. And I think that’s not a coincidence: in order to keep what’s going on a mystery to the surviving “good” players, you’re absolutely reliant on the quality of the rules-writing (and the quick-comprehension skills of that random player) in order not to spoil everyone’s session.

There are people with whom I’d happily play a horror game in this style, but definitely neither of us would want the risk of them getting stuck with having to pick up rules in haste.

(Current MoM has insanity cards that include a few that effectively say “you win if you stop everyone else from winning, and achieve this goal”. Consensus on the forums seems to be that it’s more fun to play without them.)

1 Like

I played them all in the order they were published. I wouldn’t say any one of them is the door I came through though. It was just a long slide down a mountain of SdJs. If any game qualifies as my door to the hobby that came later and it would be Terra Mystica in 2011. In this era Arkham Horror was one of the bigger turning points for my relation to boardgames because it introduced me to a completely new style of game.

Of the “trifecta” Catan was by far the biggest thing here. Carcassonne and TTR don’t even come close. But that is just by my estimation. It came much earlier than the other two and definitely made boardgaming as a hobby more of a thing.

1 Like

This seems like it was another life (maybe it was; the universe feels fractal).

Back in the early 90s, I mostly played computer games (MUDs, mostly) and console games. Quite suddenly, I found myself in middle school and surrounded by Pogs; I collected some, but I recall playing… uh, maybe twice? The game wasn’t as cool as the just looking at the pogs.

But it setup me and my friends for the next big thing: Magic: the Gathering. By the time it came to be known by me, people were playing Revised edition, but I mainly got started in 4th. I, however, never spent as much money on it as any of my friends (I lived in a well-to-do area, but we didn’t have a lot of disposable income). After a while, I mostly gave up collecting cards for myself and would assemble awful, terrible decks from the unused cards of whomever I was hanging out with so that we could play – or, later, when it became more of a “thing”, I would just use one of their spare decks.

Once High School started, I had mostly reverted back to computer games (mostly MUDs, still). My stepdad at one point introduced me and 2 of my friends to Dungeons & Dragons and I got the AD&D 2e trifecta for Christmas that year (The Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, and the Monstrous Manual). Unsurprisingly, me and all of my not-quite-social-butterfly friends joined the school’s Role Playing & Games Club, hosted in the library on Thursday after school – all made possible because my older sister was driving to/from school then and was willing to shuttle me and a friend because she also had a number of friends in the club.

As part of RP&G Club, I was introduced to Warhammer; both Fantasy and 40k; I bought a few models for both, but never fielded an army; most people in the club just used pieces of paper (for fantasy) or proxied with the starter box, plastic minis for 40k. Blood for the Blood God!

As a distraction one summer, I convinced my mother to buy me the Necromunda starter set which my friends and I played a lot (by many, many mistaken rules). I still have it, actually, and I sometimes wonder what it would be like to get it out again. I put the new edition of Necromunda on my wishlist a few years ago but nobody bought it for me, and I believe it’s probably hard to find now – and I don’t even know how much I would enjoy it (it may be wildly different… or… maybe… maybe I’d be wildly different?). Eventually, I did buy a complete mini set for Van Saar, but I never assembled or painted them.

One year, quite unexpectedly, some of my friends started playing Illuminati: New World Order , which seemed just the panacea for the “Magic the Gathering is too expensive to enjoy” slump me and many of my friends whose parents didn’t have quite as much money to toss around. A collectable card game where you could just buy a complete set of the cards – long before “Living Card Games” “invented” it. I still have my One With Everything box that includes the expansion. A friend of mine told me, probably 5 years ago, that he finally sold his because he got more than $500 for it – but I refuse to sell. Imagine my dismay when, later, I played the 2018 Illuminati and found it utterly transparent and lackluster; was INWO the same and I just couldn’t see it back then?

At some point during high school, my parents bought me a computer with a graphics card and I started playing almost exclusively video games for a while, and that persisted after I left high school and into the early 2000s.

I had moved around a bit in my late-teens and early-twenties and eventually fell in with a mixed group of people I went to high school with but also some other geeks that were all living together. Unfortunately, Everquest and then World of Warcraft were things at the time; I played the former quite a bit during my moving-around phase, but never as much as most of my friends. I played WoW but really only for about 2 weeks as a way to engage with that friend group. Eventually we grew apart (most of them play FFXIV now, I think).

But during the time I was spending time with that group, we did play a few games. I remember, specifically,
Sid Meier’s Civilization: The Boardgame (2002)
, which I was fascinated by, but of which my friends grew quickly tired, much to my dismay. I believe we played almost a full game of it. Other than that, I think it was mostly Risk that was played.

It would be several years later, after being introduced to Apples to Apples one evening, and then later attending a local gaming convention with my then-girlfriend-now-wife when we sat down with a friend of hers from high school and he showed us some board games he had discovered by watching Wil Wheaton’s Tabletop. This would prove to be the catalyst to get me to look beyond the bad box art and see boardgames in a different light. But all of that occurred after 2005.

5 Likes

Not a great fan of any of them tbh. Not that I think they’re terrible, and they all have their moments, but I enjoy some later games more. Because I wasn’t playing them when they came out, I don’t have nostalgia for a time when they were among the few gaming options available.

• Settlers (or Catan now): the random resource production irritates me, but I like the trading. It would be fair to say that there’s a negotiation-shaped hole in my collection now that I’ve sold Cosmic Encounter. I’ve love to try Sidereal Confluence some time.
  • Carcassonne: sooooooo long for what you get. I’ll play Xia or Magic Maze for extending the map in play, Spirit Island or Revolution for area majority.
  • Ticket to Ride: only played once and it was the Pennsylvania map, but just didn’t seem to have much to say to me. To scratch the route building itch, Tsuro or Railroad Ink. For set collection, Jaipur or Targi or Morels. For hand management, Red7.

Some more for which I got into the hobby after the peak of their popularity: Shadows over Camelot (2005), Small World (2009).

3 Likes

One of my friends straight up has an Alpha Black Lotus, valued in the 5 digits for US currency. We were discussing this in front of his wife whose eyes went about as wide as I’ve ever seen them.

He also refuses to sell for unknown reasons. It’s just sitting in his parents’ basement waiting for a disaster or something to take it from him.

3 Likes

The most avid MtG player from my circles sold his collection of valuable cards a few years ago for a nice sum or so he told me. High 4 figures. Not 5 though I think.

I only started playing after Ice Age and Revised. Mirage and 4th were out so I do not have any of the super-valuable stuff…

3 Likes

For me this

Is why I never did this

I lived Necromunda. The campaign when I was 14/15 and the one I ran when I was 20/21. So much fun and I could still be boring about details for gangs and the campaigns as well as players. In the mean time I’ve played Confrontation which is superior and got in to board games and gone through a mechanics focussed phase. I won’t play Necromunda again as I don’t want to piss on my past by seeing the flaws now. A friend wanted me to play Space Crusade a few years ago which I regret as it’s made the memories of it ‘that was good because I didn’t know better’ which tarnishes the nostalgic glow.

5 Likes

Oh gosh. Yeah, we’ll deep dive on TCG’s another week. Fallen Kingdoms, Arabian Nights, Mirage, Homelands… I was late Revised and early 4th.

I had an Underground Sea and Taiga, both valued around $200. Sold the Underground Sea a few years back. Couldn’t sell the Taiga as I’d traded it years ago for a Shiva Dragon… worth maybe $3. These things were both in circulation at the time and the market hadn’t yet diverged.

My only other valuable cards were a Demonic Tutor ($20) and Birds of Paradise ($5).

3 Likes

I have a ton of nostalgia for various games, places, events… you name it. But the wine from vacation never tastes quite as good at home (exceptions apply). And that is fine: some things cannot be separated from the experience at that particular time…

People look back and praise the games they played 10, 20, 30 years ago but few of them are as great as our memories make them. Except of course for those few gems that really are as great.

5 Likes

That looks awesome!
…So does Kings of War. Hmm.

1 Like

I’ve only played Settlers once. It was ok.

We quite like Ticket to Ride; it’s an easy family game when people want something undemanding but not totally brainless, and everyone can always remember how to play it, so no re-learning of rules is ever needed.

Carcassonne is a family staple, and essential. We have most of the expansions, and mix one or two in as and when we feel like it, depending on mood.

I didn’t play (or indeed hear of) any of them during the period in question, so there’s no nostalgia value for me.

But I’d certainly (and do) choose both TTR and Carcassonne to play with someone who’s never played any proper board games. They’re just really good games - easy to learn, and they just work

4 Likes

Regarding the trifecta. I adore Ticket to Ride (and am loving the legacy game). It’s a bit too light for my taste generally but I rarely turn a game down.

Carcassonne is an activity for me. Something to do with a cup of coffee. It’s fine.

However, I’ve managed to teach both of these games to my parents which is a huge plus. I think both could be played much, much more competitively and cutthroat (and I’d get more out of them) but that’s not really my cup of tea.

Catan was bought early on when I got into the hobby, but I really don’t like it.

Looking at that list, blimey there were some great games produced. You could have a collection of nothing but Knizia’s produced in this timespan and have a great and varied gaming life (come on Samurai reprint).

4 Likes

Team Carcassonne! Closely followed by TTR. Both can offer variety through expansions.

Catan I could play but wouldn’t be excited about it.

2 Likes

I’m amazed you’ve only played this once. It’s probably the most addictive game I own!

2 Likes

I own the complete trifecta. Catan is a curio at this point; or perhaps a conversation starter.

Unsuspecting Stranger: “That’s a lot of games you have. Have you heard of Catan? I heard that’s a really cool, new, modern game.”
Me, pulling it from the shelf and dusting it off: “Sure, absolutely. Would you like to play?”

Carcassonne is fine. It’s like competitive passive-aggression, yeah? I mean, if you can’t hear me place down the farmer in that field, with an audible click, then have I really placed a farmer?

I probably don’t have any reason to keep it; but it remains on the shelf.

My partner absolutely loves the Ticket to Ride series; it’s very easy for her to think through the game and plan out a strategy – it’s the right mix of rules weight and spatial reasoning and order-satisfaction that fits perfectly in the TTR-shaped spot in her brain.

And, as a way to keep me interested in playing it with her, we have most of the available Ticket to Ride variants and editions. We, however, do not have the original TTR box. 1) because the cards are too small and b) because I bought her the 10th Anniversary edition, with the giant board and lovely train cars. But even, now, that has been eclipsed by the 15th edition TTR: Europe box we now have.

But Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries was our first and still one of our favorites.

7 Likes

I was going to put this on Games Played but it happens to fit here.

And pardon me, I’m about to slip into memoir mode for a hot sec…

This isn’t my first time bringing this up: I don’t get Carcassonne.

I mean, I got Carcassonne. Back in the day it was Settlers (not Catan) day and night. But that meant 3-4 players. If you wanted to play 2-6, you got Carcassonne.

My first play was at 2, and we both left empty, bored, completely untitillated.

Fast forward 20 years – still empty, bored, untitillated.

I’ve asked here and on Reddit what I’m missing and the usual response is, “Well, there isn’t much there actually. It’s chill. Maybe it’s not for you. Try drawing two tiles.”

Still, I kept Carcassonne and kept at it. I was bothered. Quinns called it still the best gateway game, alongside Pandemic and El Dorado. Paul Dean said he played it every night on his tablet, meaning it gave him as much ongoing pleasure as I get from Race for the Galaxy. On top of all that, it’s still there. It’s still being sold and talked about, and not like trash-talking your ex the way Catan gets discussed.

And here’s the clincher – I still lose. Like, third of three. Like Every. Single. Game. Against the easy AI. By 30-40 points.

I’m missing something.

So last week I set a new plan. I’m going to play until I win.
Night 1: Third place
Night 2: Third place. Maybe a shallower basement?
Night 3: I achieve second place (against two easy AI).
Night 4: I win. I enjoy myself. I find I’m looking forward to night 5.
Night 5: I am sure I lost. But I win. Two massive farms to the rescue. Night 6 is definitely happening.

So five nights and I’m enjoying Carcassonne. What changed? Nothing new about what the game is and isn’t, and the different “ways” to play (read: to dick or not to dick). What I’m noticing is that I am now seeing the board. Which seems an odd development, for someone who played Neuroshima Hex until it showed up on the insides of his eyelids while falling asleep. But I think I really wasn’t seeing the board.

The mental gamestate, before, was more of a shopping list. Started a city, got to check it off. On a road, got to check that off. Did I just draw a city or a road? OK, I just played adjacent to your big city, need to connect. When I played night 4, the board as a whole was taking shape. I saw the points and opportunities opening and closing by degrees all across the board. And, in that context, a dozen points of light tension stretched out, and each tile had an interesting space to fit into.

I also noticed that, where before my meeples tended to cluster around wherever the first one happened to go down, now my peeples were scattered everywhere. Leeching, blocking, aspiring.

Game 4 featured a lot of stealing and no farms. Game 5 instead had a massive Inn-Road for me and several contested fields. The games were different and they felt different as I was able to see the entire space take shape, rather than just my current “two roads and one city over here.”

So I get Carcassonne, at last? I like Carcassonne. It’s not going into my top 20 but it is coming of my “just keep it for the kids” shelf.

Night 6: Back into the basement. But I did enjoy myself.

9 Likes

<pillbox eyes you intently as he places down a farmer>

~CLICK~

Yeah, I mean, I feel the same way. You could play it enough to get to the point where Neo sees the matrix.

Neo Matrix GIF - Neo Matrix - Discover & Share GIFs

“High level” Carcassonne play is more about “card counting” than anything. If that’s something you enjoy, have at. We might as well play Candyland, if you ask me.

3 Likes