The West Marches - Main Thread

“And how much if we live to add to it?”

1 Like

“Hugo, how far are these places from here; could I see the Pond of Plenty tomorrow and be back before sundown, or is many days’ travel”

To the figure carrying the scythe, “I haven’t seen one of those in real life for many years, although I suppose there aren’t many places to grow crops at sea. What is your name sir? I am Enfys”

To the group, “3 of us arriving here within hours of each other. It’s almost as though…” Enfys tails off, lost in thought

“Ash. It’s not always the most practical of weapons, but my goddess favours the symbolism, and any village with a blacksmith can make one.”

“And I confess I find myself a little unwilling to strike out into these new-claimed lands on my own… ‘Bare is brotherless back’ said Eliane the Strong, and if Eliane the Strong wasn’t afraid to admit it neither am I.”

Hugo smiles, “A welcome return on your investment. I pay handsomely for information and items to add to my wall of curiosity.”

He scratches his chin.

“The pond is uphill, two hours at most?”

He pauses.

“Or so I’m told.”

Enfys to Ssora and the scythe wielder, “I’m not used to sitting quietly in inns and I’m already feeling a bit twitchy. I fancy having a look round tomorrow. Would either of you care to join me?”

Enfys looks carefully at Hugo for the first time. There’s something there she’s not sure of but nothing to commit to.

“Dangerous place this pond?”

(Hey @Scribbs, what would a local know about the pond of plenty?)

(Rumour has it that the pond is a absolutely heaving with fish, so much so that you can practically walk from one side to another without getting your feet wet. No, I haven’t seen it myself, it’s outside the wards, no way a humble wood cutters going too far from the safety of this place.)

2 Likes

Ash: “I’d like to see more of this place, and I’d be happy to do it in company.”

3 Likes

“A party of three, then.” Ssora looks quite happy.

1 Like

Hugo beams.

“We’ll report to Lem before you leave, he’ll talk to you about security.

More dusty travellers step through the door and Hugo moves to greet them…

Ash: “Enfys, you mentioned the sea? I’ve never seen it, though I’d like to one day.”

“Yes, my home. I’ve been crewing on ships or in ports for what feels like my whole life. It’s beautiful, nothing like it. I’ve travelled all across this world and seen things you wouldn’t believe. Although I can’t believe you’ve never seen the sea. Where have you travelled from?”

“Barely at all so far; my home in the country, then when I realised my vocation I walked to the city for training, then when we were all sent out to wander and see the world, I heard of the opening of these Marches, and it seemed like a chance to learn something new. Some of my fellow acolytes couldn’t wait to get back and settle down to a parish of their own, but I’ve always had itchy feet.”

1 Like

Soon plates of steaming hot food are arrayed before you. You are well catered for Hugo refuses repeatedly to accept any payment for the feast.

When everyone has eaten their fill, the plates are cleared away and the table set for the next travellers.

You have the feeling you aren’t the first adventurers to receive this welcome.

2 Likes

‘So, Ssora and Ash where shall we go tomorrow? This pond seems like we should get there and back by this time tomorrow if we set out early. I would like to see any water again, but I’ll be glad to stretch my legs and see some of this place if either of you would like to explore somewhere else.’

1 Like

“All I know of this place is what I’ve seen on that map. If we hear of people needing help, I’d feel some obligation to help them, but apart from that one place is as good as another…”

(Ash eats as though he’s expecting someone else to take the food off him at any moment. It’s not graceful, but it is ruthlessly efficient.)

2 Likes

Ssora doesn’t chew her food at all, but somehow manages to make that not look gross.

“Ponds are… Nice to sit at or fish, if you have the patience for it… I do like fish. Not exactly adventure, but good enough for a first outing. I’d like to see what those goblins are up to once we’re more settled.”

She observes Ash’s frantic eating with interest. Enfys seems to have missed quite a few breakfasts as well judging by her waif-like appearance. Ssora’s never had trouble schmoozing a meal out of people, nor were the paladins of Iomedae stingy with their ‘holy rations’. Something to remember, if possible.

With her stomach filled, she takes a second look at her new companions.

“Enfys, you’re a… Sailor?” The only other seafaring profession she knows of is ‘pirate’. “You don’t quite fit the ‘rowdy drunkard’ image.”

“Oh, I can do” Enfys replies, “but there is a time and a place for drunkeness.”

1 Like

“I’ve met some river boat folk, but they keep to themselves - the boat is the family, the family is the boat. Though one time I was on the roster when they wanted someone to officiate at a wedding – they’re all serious business on the outside, but once they let you in it’s light and colour everywhere.”

3 Likes

The afternoon passes quickly and more settlers enter the coaching house, tired from a long day of turning the rough countryside into civilisation.

Hugo appears the consummate host, whilst Riker appears slightly harried all afternoon.

Soon torches are lit. Many small groups are providing their own forms of entertainment. What type of entertainment catches your eye?