(If you’re seeing this as a site banner, see here for more.)
The Pearple’s Choice (as begun by clg6000 on the old forums) is still here! Please send your nominations by private message to @RogerBW; you may nominate in as many categories as you like, up to five items per category. (We’re using the Hugo voting rules which I can explain in more detail if you like.)
Here are the categories and a quick guide to eligibility:
- Best game of 2021 (should have a BGG publication year of 2021+) BGG
- Best [type] game of 2021, where BGG pub year is 2021 and [type] is each of:
- Cooperative (even if it has a competitive mode too) BGG
- Heavy (probably BGG weight >3) BGG
- Light (probably BGG weight ≤3) BGG
- Soloable (including unofficially) BGG
- Thematic (no formal definition, but what Roger means by this is something that immerses you in its world so that the mechanical decisions you’re making feel like the decisions that your entity in the game’s world would be making; examples include Firefly, ST:A, Flash Point, Spirit Island)
- Best game artwork (BGG pub year is 2021)
- Best expansion (BGG pub year is 2021; can be an expandalone but must be combinable with another game)
- Erik Tengblad award for best game from an earlier year I only played for the first time in 2021 (BGG pub year is earlier than 2021)
- Best game review (first published in 2021) (not necessarily by SU&SD)
I’ll be bringing back a couple of categories from last year:
- Minutewalt award: Best socially distanced game (any game is eligible)
- pillbox award: Game you’re anticipating but haven’t had a chance to get enough players over yet (any game is eligible)
and as a trial run
- Roger’s anti-pillbox award: Game you have finally had a chance to get the table, and it was worth the wait (any game is eligible).
- Mature Pearple: best game from 2016.
Note that while most of these categories are for games published this year, I’m aware that there are game which were technically published earlier but that didn’t actually reach people until now. So if you want to nominate something that isn’t formally “published in 2021”, just put in a note to say why it should be allowed anyway. Similarly, if your favourite light game has been given a BGG weight of 3.01…
Nominations will close on 2022-01-07T00:00:00Z; voting will run until 2022-02-04T00:00:00Z.
Please feel free to tell other SU&SD fans and game players in general about this thread. (I don’t do Discord/Disqus for example.)
The easiest way to send a direct message to RogerBW for nominations is to click his name at the top of this thread and then select “ Message”.
If you are a new forum member just joining us, the forum software may prevent you from sending direct messages. If this is the case, please reply to this thread and one of the moderator staff will make the necessary changes to allow you to submit your votes via direct message.
Alternatively, feel free to look around and check out our subforums and read some of the threads posted by our wonderful community; by spending at least 10 minutes reading 5 or more topics/threads, you can automatically earn Trust Level 1, which is the minimum priviledge level required to send PMs.
In addition: welcome to the site!