The Crowdfunding Thread

As someone with Bruges, I’m heartbroken. I just want the expansion! But now that’s impossible. Either I need to buy Hamburg, or buy Bruges + Expansion and sell my base game. So frustrating!

I found Bruges just as it was selling out, in a fire sale for £15. I was kinda tempted to sell it for the profit in the past, and now I feel like a fool!

I guess on the plus side, I haven’t lost out as such if I were to buy the new version, and probably could sell Bruges for a slight profit overall…

EDIT: Just noticed the deluxe upgrade components. For once, I think the standard components are superior to the deluxe in almost every way. Who wants plastic standees?!

1 Like

And is it’s Queen games you get loads of free air with every purchase! Stored all nicely in the corners and edges of the box that’s considerably larger than is necessary for the game :slightly_frowning_face::woozy_face:

3 Likes

On the bright side, it’s not one of those huge rectangle boxes, and since there’s game trayz in the deluxe they can’t just fill it with air.

Shame the standard version isn’t getting the insert. The box looks thinner than the deluxe, but not sure if that’s just marketing to make the deluxe look more deluxe(?). There’s not extra stuff, just different material stuff. And an insert doesn’t add that much depth!

1 Like

I just noticed this bit:

There are currently no plans to sell either games into distribution; both editions will only be available directly from Queen Games.

“currently no plans…” = “we plan to plan to, but we technically haven’t pursued that avenue so that we can say this during this campaign”

2 Likes

I miss the days when Z-Man releases great games and their boxes comes in small rectangular boxes

4 Likes

I gather Queen Games are trying to get away from the “half the KS price when it hits retail” image they’ve had for the last few years.

3 Likes

It’s the pleading “Look, we know we’re not glamorous like other kickstarters, but please buy our game!!” approach.

1 Like

Not a board game in the least, but I get the feeling we have one or two folks around here who might get a kick outta this:

4 Likes

Some of my kickstarter campaigns are just so sweet… and I don’t mean the games but the people who run the campaigns.

One example is Dan Kallagan, the guy behind Kayenta Games from whom I’ll be getting my copy of Obsession next week. He was just incredible keeping everyone updated about progress with sometimes hilariously shaky videos of unboxings, who had detailed information where the game was at every stage of the campaign.

The other that has me smiling with every update I get is 18DO–Dortmund. I wish I could go pick it up in person. But even from here Dortmund is just a bit too far (4h by car).

What are your favorite campaigners?

6 Likes

I’ve found the campaign for Import/export to be very communicative and well run. I also think the stretch goals were well handled - it was mostly quality upgrades rather than extra stuff, so I don’t think I’ll end up with a game so heavy that I can’t be bothered to take it anywhere (looking at you Dinosaur Island :roll_eyes:)

3 Likes

A KS delivery I managed to finally collect from the Post Office. I’m quite excited but also still mainly waiting on my Jagged Earth

3 Likes

Hope you like it. I’ve never played this, but Nick Shaw is a friend of a friend

3 Likes

Hard to know. I tend to skim and forget :joy:

2 Likes

Trying to resist the “new” Stefan Feld games on KS. To get both games, Hamburg (based on Bruges) and Amsterdam (based on Macao), just the standard editions, is $245 AUD.

And they wont be available later - only direct from the publisher.

If only I wasnt such a Feld fan!

4 Likes

I really don’t like this “will only be available direct from publisher” thing that’s growing more popular. If only there was some sort of economic mechanism that would allow distribution of products to be sold locally around the world.

But no, everything must be sold direct from the publisher and shipped from the USA.

3 Likes

Yup, not a fan either

1 Like

Bruges and Macao are apparently still out there, if hardish to find.

I forecast that two or three KS down the line there will be some fairly rubbish games because the collectors will want a complete set.

2 Likes

It’s easy to see why the publishers would like it, though - nobody else to cut in on the profits. And no competing for space on shelves.

Obviously it’s not great for consumers, but you see that sort of thinking happening in video streaming and videogame storefronts as well.

3 Likes

This is Queen Games we’re talking about, right?

These titles (maybe not these particular SKUs) will be available at retail… And eventually at 25% of the price you pay at Kickstarter.

Maybe I’m wrong… But I, personally, am wagering my money on just that; I think I’d like to own, at least, Hamburg, but I’m waiting.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s as bad for consumers as you suppose. I have somewhat specialized tastes in literature, art, and games. It was a bit risky for traditional publishers to put their capital into things that appeal to audiences that include me. But with things like Kickstarter, they can market their unusual products to me before they have to commit a lot of capital. So that enables me to take action to ensure that things that appeal to my tastes actually get onto the market, rather than just hoping that someone will publish them and that they’ll find their way to a store I have access to. That seems to me like increased consumer choice.

1 Like