The Crowdfunding Thread

It was very strongly implied that that would happen, but I guess it turned into the Veteran “all the bling” version. Oh well.

3 Likes

There are many in the comments complaining about this, and even complaints that there has been no response to the complaints.

Though I think I saw a response either in the comments or on BGG that there are discussions going on behind the scenes, so I’m hopeful they will release a new tier. It’s probably a bit of a risk for them, as there are likely a number of people who decided to go ahead an pledge for the Veteran’s tier with plans to sell off any redundant content who will jump over to a new expansion only tier if it’s created. But, at the same time, they’ll get a lot of people like me who can’t justify the $130 ($165 after shipping) for a bunch of stuff they don’t want or need just to get the new stuff.

Waiting is.

3 Likes

I saw a response by GF9 on BGG that was basically along the lines of “we never considered that so many people would want a cheaper option!” which is just poor critical though at best and disingenuous or simply a flat-out lie at worst.

6 Likes

It’s tricky. On the one hand, people like me who got in at the beginning and bought each expansion as it came out are part of why the game still has a following (e.g. I brought play-by-forum to BGG). On the other, we aren’t going to lay down lots of money the way new players are…

4 Likes

I bought virtually everything due to your PBF here! And I think most people who have everything (or almost everything) are perfectly willing to lay down lots of money, provided they aren’t just rebuying a bunch of stuff.

4 Likes

I think the part that rubs me the wrong way is that the “all in” pledge is a great deal – if you owned nothing and wanted everything (and also didn’t mind waiting a while), it sure is a great deal.

But what percentage of people interested in this are in that camp? A very small amount, I would imagine. I’m sure the publisher wishes they were going to get 10k new people who had only heard of the game but never bought anything, but that’s really not realistic. The campaign is for (and seems to have always claimed to be for) the long-time fans of the game. Who… likely already have everything or almost everything.

I dunno. It all seems a bit too “cash-grabby” for my sensibilities.

4 Likes

I mean, judging from the comments, there are a number of people who have been interested in the game but either never picked it up, or only got the base game and had not managed to get expansions. This is fantastic for them! Or people who got the base and expansions but want to bling out their copy a bit with nicer ships and tokens and such.

But this campaign certainly does not appear to be aimed at long-time fans, despite claims made before launch.

4 Likes

I am in the „never bought anything because I am a bit skeptical of people turning my beloved IPs into games“ (I saw it at SPIEL back then and told myself that it HAD to be bad) and then didn‘t play but followed the PBF for a bit and turns out … I now want it. But I‘d be miffed if I had possibly just a couple of addons and the base-game.

Still I expect publishers to also cater to everyone who made it so there is a reprint at all and give them the option of „new content without extra bling“.

But corporate being disingenuous, or not thinking things quite through or just thinking $$$$$ is a recurring theme.

6 Likes

OK so bear in mind this is one of my favourite games.

I have to say that as a game Firefly is not one of the best ones out there. It has superb thematic integration, yes, but a lot of the strategy rests on deciding when to take a big risk, and if that goes wrong you can be effectively out of the game. (And then it’s three more hours before someone wins.) To my mind this is basically a similar gameplay problem to Monopoly’s, and that’s not a good thing.

There are ways to make it go faster (e.g. be aggressive about looking through discards before it’s your turn, keep your available icon counts to mind) but this takes work from the players.

In other words this is not a nearly-abstract game that you’d casually re-theme. It’s very much tied in with the setting. So obviously if you’re a Firefly fan that’s great (much as, I’ve said before, to most of its players Wingspan is “the bird game” rather than “a set-collecting engine-building game”). I am not a Firefly fan particularly (I don’t hate it but nor do I love it), but I do very much enjoy the way the game generates microstories: what about that time Simon ended up on a pirate crew? Or Kaylee became the queen of the scrappers?

6 Likes

Outer Rim is similar. Not the greatest game if you take away the theme… but the theme fits what game there is. So if the thematic integration is good and you say it is… and if it is just a tiny bit “shiny” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The cost difference between the 2 seems very much like you’re just being pushed to by the whole new set. 130 for some nice looking stuff + 90 to add in the whole game and all expansions. Bling is expensive, gameplay is cheap.

2 Likes

As defenders of the pricing argue (and I admit they are correct), if you take out the bling, you are almost entirely left with cards and cardboard tokens. Sure, it is a lot of cards and cardboard, but they are some of the cheaper components to produce.

2 Likes

Oh good. I was thinking it wasn’t big enough yet. See “The Big One”.

3 Likes

I am interested in the RPG.
I am not interested in the minis.
I might have been interested to know about the difference between OG and 2nd edition but could not find anything.

2 Likes

I’m tempted by the upgrade kit, but then I think it was voted the #1 game before anyone knew about any of this. Do I really need an ‘improved’ version?

Will wait and see what the outcome is when it’s finally released in the wild. May be tempted to sell off/give away my old copy and buy the new one but will see what the reviews are like first. Yes, it’s expensive, but I have the disposal income.

The updated hero minis look great though. A huge improvement over the flat profile of the originals

3 Likes

The blurb they have is:

This new edition of Gloomhaven takes the classic game and elevates it to a new level with rebalanced and redesigned characters, monsters, and scenarios, a rewritten story, all-new art and graphic design, and a new faction reputation system.

3 Likes

Yeah, I saw that. Not enough details. I don’t think I’ll be going for the new version of the game I have … this time (still looking to exchange my El Dorado).

But the RPG looks tempting.

1 Like

Best I could find in easily digestible format

3 Likes

I am hearing from testers that the new edition is basically a whole new game and the class upgrade pack is basically just a concession to people who really wanted that option rather than something that actually brings a 1st edition into parity with the new edition (which would essentially have to replace everything).

I am fine with my 1st edition that I will probably never finish.

3 Likes

I can’t even finish Jaws of the Lion, so GH and FH are just not for me.

3 Likes